Portion control

Options
leasy1
leasy1 Posts: 172 Member
Hi all. I am not new to trying to lose weight, I have tried probably every way to lose weight under the sun I even had a gastric band for 6 years which I recently had to have removed due to complications. But I was wondering if anyone has had success with just portion control alone? I would love to lose 28-35 lb. Any tips and advice will be much appreciated. Thank you :)

Replies

• Happygenie
    Happygenie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Portion control at mealtime (especially dinner) has helped me lose weight. But I also have to limit snacking throughout the day. It doesn't work to eat small portions of snacks that are high in calories plus 3 meals and expect to lose weight. I am also walking for exercise.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    You lose weight when you maintain a calorie deficit, and controlling portion size is inevitably involved at some point.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale. I don't portion control. I just make sure I don't eat too many calories. I like this place.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I don't portion control. I just make sure I don't eat too many calories.
    Is there a meaningful difference between "portion control" and "not too many calories"? Particularly when you achieve both by carefully measuring what you eat?
  • Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    TheWJordinWJordin: I don't portion control. I just make sure I don't eat too many calories.
    Is there a meaningful difference between "portion control" and "not too many calories"? Particularly when you achieve both by carefully measuring what you eat [\b]

You're not measuring your intake accurately using portion control. PC will work for overweight and obese people to get to high-normal BMIs because it stops them overeating. To lose or body comp further you need to count calories.
  • leasy1
    leasy1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Counting calories is so time consuming, I have a 16 month old I run around after, a partner in have to cook separately for so by the time I have time for me i can't be bothered so I generally do a quick salad but I do believe it is the amount I eat rather than what I eat.
    ActionAnnieJXN I have heard of this, 16/8 intermittent fasting I think where you hold off as long as you can so your first meal is at lunch time.
  • ActionAnnieJXN
    ActionAnnieJXN Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hi leasy1, yes, I've heard of it too - I was already doing it when I first read about it and found out that it was a thing, haha!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    leasy1 wrote: »
    16/8 intermittent fasting I think where you hold off as long as you can so your first meal is at lunch time.
    Or you can eat when you wake up and stop eating 8 hours before bed if you like to. Or anything inbetween if you like that better. Meal timing doesn't make any difference pr se. Adhering to appropriate calories and getting in proper nutrition is what's important. When you *like* what you're doing, that's when magic happens. "Intermittent fasting" is just a pompous term for eating like a normal person. (But using pompous terms feels good too, I admit that :D )
  • hunhun57
    hunhun57 Posts: 74 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    What I have learned and has worked for me is prepping food ahead of time. It helps a person stay in control and not to over eat or choose food that is unhealthy.
    I prep for a family of 3 and its work but so worth it. If you put the food in ziplock bags or special food trays with covers. My husband likes it and so does my daughter . That way you can grab a snack and go.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Muana1005 wrote: »
    TheWJordinWJordin: I don't portion control. I just make sure I don't eat too many calories.
    Is there a meaningful difference between "portion control" and "not too many calories"? Particularly when you achieve both by carefully measuring what you eat [\b]

You're not measuring your intake accurately using portion control. PC will work for overweight and obese people to get to high-normal BMIs because it stops them overeating. To lose or body comp further you need to count calories.

This isn't true. Calorie counting is a very useful tool, but it is not necessary.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Counting calories lets you practice portion control.
    It basically takes a few minutes each day to log food - even if you only log for a while it will let you see how much you are eating and how you can adjust intake - if necessary.
    I no longer log my meals but it took me a few years of logging consistently to get in the habit of knowing what my portion sizes should be for me to maintain my weight.
  • Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I don't know anyone who has practiced portion control (without any knowledge of calories) to ever keep their weight off in the long term. Weight loss might be slow but it eventually creeps up.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Eyeballing foods for portion control was a complete failure for me. This place is working. I measure/weigh food and count calories. I think the two are completely different things (from experience).
  • cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I only lose weight when I weigh my food and track the calories - when I do that I lose with almost mathematical precision. Key to that is cooking 95% of my meals at home. It can seem tedious but it works and I'm a good cook so I enjoy the food I make. I wasn't aware of portion control being different from just weighing food but I would think that weighing the food would yield better results because it removes error and subjective judgment.