Had a cheat meal yesterday, not sure how to feel about it

Options
I just had this craving for KFC all of a sudden, and went ahead and ate a 2000kcal meal.

If I do this once a week with my current caloric intake and work out schedule, I'll lose about 6.6lbs a month instead of about 8.8lbs. Those extra 2.2lbs in the long ron are needed, i think. Because in 10 months that's 22lbs I could lose if I don't do the cheat meals.

Any input on this? Would appreciate it.

Replies

• gahahshskana
    gahahshskana Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ah, the first thing to do is to forgive yourself. We're human, not machines.

I usually have cheat meals because I can NOT, for the life of me, usually control my urges. I have an entire cheat day once a week to keep me motivated :smile: what I do, though, is set a limit to how much calories I can eat so I won't put all my week's effort to waste.

I actually tried a strict diet before, which usually ends up with me binging. I've actually lost more weight since I've been having these "cheat days" or so to say. Hope this helps you :blush: have a nice day!
  • natashab61
    natashab61 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hi - I think I would suggest to start enjoying the food you give yourself permission for. This guilt we feel after eating something delicious makes that meal worthless. Honestly give yourself permission and compensate for the calories over the week by eating less. Have a light eating day before a going out. Be kind to yourself. That is the only and best way to succeed. Also try to buy a smaller portion of the food.
    I know buying a bucket of wings is cheaper per piece vs like a pack of 6 but buying less means eating less. Also don't eat in fast food restaurants. Bring it home. Otherwise you will be tempted to buy more.

Hope this helps! You got this. :)
  • edwill3456
    edwill3456 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I just had 3 days of cheat meals don't be too hard on yourself it happens to all of us once in a while. Plus your still on track.
  • LotusCass
    LotusCass Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above. I have one day a week when I eat at maintenance. Sure I lose more slowly this way but I'm more likely to keep going if I can have that little bit extra (and my favourite treats) on the weekend. I feel this is now something I can do long-term. Remember it's not a race to lose, it's a long-term thing.
  • Chessbear
    Chessbear Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    You had a treat meal, not a cheat meal. There is nothing wrong with doing this every now and then unless you are the sort of person where a treat meal becomes a treat day, then a treat week then a what the heck who cares about losing weight anyway kind of thing. In fact having a day where you eat at maintenance or slightly above can help with your metabolism as the extra calories tell your body that you are not in a time of famine.
  • bountyftw
    bountyftw Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I had a beer night and cause of the carbs I was hungry and snacking all night. But I forgive mey self I lost 20 lbs in 30 days one slip is ok and the guilt I feel will help for the next time
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Chessbear wrote: »
    I just had this craving for KFC all of a sudden, and went ahead and ate a 2000kcal meal.

If I do this once a week with my current caloric intake and work out schedule, I'll lose about 6.6lbs a month instead of about 8.8lbs. Those extra 2.2lbs in the long ron are needed, i think. Because in 10 months that's 22lbs I could lose if I don't do the cheat meals.

Any input on this? Would appreciate it.

You mention the concern over the long term. Assuming you could go without the KFC or whatever large meal you eat, then you could lose more weight in a given time.

Or maybe, if you denied yourself too long, you would go on a binge and eat KFC 4 times a week because you went so long without those indulgences.

Figure out what works for you and how you feel, and go with it. But remember if you are looking at the long term results, losing any weight is moving towards a weight loss goal. Progress is progress, and IMO don't beat yourself up if you are still making progress towards you end goals.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Couldn't you just... eat something at KFC that doesn't add up to 2000 cals for a single meal and then still fit it into your plan?

I'm not a believer in cheat meals/days as I feel they can lead to unnecessary anxiety about a "diet" and unhealthy associations with good food and bad food. I believe in working in the foods you enjoy into your plan as often as you can. For me that includes things like wine, pizza, and ice cream on a daily or weekly basis.

Also, how much weight are you trying to lose total? Is 2 lbs/week right for you?
  • Chessbear
    Chessbear Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Couldn't you just... eat something at KFC that doesn't add up to 2000 cals for a single meal and then still fit it into your plan?

I'm not a believer in cheat meals/days as I feel they can lead to unnecessary anxiety about a "diet" and unhealthy associations with good food and bad food. I believe in working in the foods you enjoy into your plan as often as you can. For me that includes things like wine, pizza, and ice cream on a daily or weekly basis.

Also, how much weight are you trying to lose total? Is 2 lbs/week right for you?

Need to lose about 80-100lbs.
  • georgiamaxine1
    georgiamaxine1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day every Sunday and I actively lose 2-4 lbs a week. I find it helps me stay on track for the whole week knowing I can have a treat at the end of the week :) I've lost 47lbs since March
  • LyssaRonnell
    LyssaRonnell Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day once a week, so don't feel bad. If you don't like the idea of "cheat meals" find a way to stay in your calorie goal by eating less or healthier for your other meals that day and workout to give yourself more calories for the day.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    You could keep doing it. You could order/eat a little less. Or you could try cooking a meal at home that is similar and bringing the calories down a bit by using less of the calorie dense ingredients.

I need a maintenance/surplus day every week. I might punch someone if I was at a deficit every single day. That said...I don't spend the calories on super palatable calorie dense food, because I'd still wind up hungry and cranky that day. I just like...eat more greek yogurt. lol.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    You had a treat meal, not a cheat meal. There is nothing wrong with doing this every now and then unless you are the sort of person where a treat meal becomes a treat day, then a treat week then a what the heck who cares about losing weight anyway kind of thing. In fact having a day where you eat at maintenance or slightly above can help with your metabolism as the extra calories tell your body that you are not in a time of famine.

Co-signed.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

@Chessbear I'm another vote for trying to have less at KFC, if you can. I still eat pizza, just less slices (plus a big salad.)

Eating less ice cream is a bigger struggle for me. When it's premium ice cream like Ben & Jerry's, I want the whole pint. I can eat less of Halo Top, because I don't like it as much. It's easier for me to just not have premium ice cream in the house.
  • lucypstacy
    lucypstacy Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    The other day, I wanted a pizza, so I had some pizza. It's not a big deal. I ate my two pieces, and I was happy. Yes, I consumed more calories that day than usual, but it didn't derail me. The next day, I was right no track once again. That's how the occasional treat works.