my left cheek is sinking in

Options
Is it possible to have uneven weight loss? I've only lost 18 pounds in the last 100 days.. Doesn't seem crazy.. now one of my cheeks is sinking.. completely uneven face.. I am attaching a photo that shows me trying to hide it, but you can still tell.
5i13s33sqti7.jpg
0ez9mas2k4y8.jpg

Replies

• Cute_White_Pink_Purple_Foxxx
    Options
    When I was around 100-102 lbs I had the same thing going on, like my face just looked uneven and one side was more sunken than the other. It was strange. I was a little underweight at that weight though, so that could have had something to do with it. Tbh though, I really don't see it in your pics. Your face looks pretty even to me. I wouldn't worry too much about it. No one's face is perfectly even anyway.
  • tlanger251
    tlanger251 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    can you see it now? was yours like this when you underweight?

ni2kcxwo3e82.jpg
  • Cute_White_Pink_Purple_Foxxx
    Options
    I can see a little better what you're talking about in this pic, but it still looks fine to me. My face was sort of similar but more sunken and sickly-looking on one side. Looks like nothing to worry about.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When you smile really big is it lopsided? (You don't have to provide a pic). It could be the nerve in your face

I have one eyelid faster than the other. In some pictures I look like a squinting pirate. Arrrrrr me mateys.
  • Slightlyodds
    Slightlyodds Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I can see what you are talking about. Though unless you had pointed it out I wouldnt of noticed. My girlfriend was complaining of uneven weight loss but i never noticed it on her either.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Have you seen a Dr?

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    It is hard to tell in any of the pictures you have posted. The first 2 have lighting that highlights the same side of the face, the third your hand is in the way.

Most of us have lopsided faces, some more noticeable than others. (I have sad and happy sides)
    Have a look at your face reversed, using double mirrors and see if you still see the difference.

Also, do you have any teeth missing on the side that looks sunken?

Cheers, h.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    The lighting and poses aren't right to allow us to judge symmetry, but if your face is asymmetrical that just makes you normal. Most folks are at least a little lopsided. I have one eyebrow noticeably higher than the other, for instance.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    SUDDEN numbness or weakness of face, arm or leg, especially on one side of the body

SUDDEN confusion, trouble speaking, or understanding

SUDDEN trouble seeing in one or both eyes

SUDDEN trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination

SUDDEN severe headache with no known cause

Call 9-1-1 immediately if you observe any of these symptoms. You may be having a stroke.
  • theowlbox
    theowlbox Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I think we typically have a more dominant side of the face. Where you can lift your eyebrow higher on one side but not the other or do something more intensely on one side than the other. So if you are losing weight and the facial muscles under your skin are slightly different, it makes sense that at some weight, that difference will become more noticeable because of how the skin drapes (more resiliant firmer skin or thinner less structured skin). It may not be forever or it may just be your face and the reality of how it is at this point in time and at this weight. Perfect symmetry is rare. Kristy turlington and denzel Washington are 2 people with high symmetry whose faces have been used in tests on babies to see if they "prefer" symmetrical faces. Meanwhile many people, like Mariah Carey, feel like they have a "good side" and only want that side pictured.) Assuming there is no medical reason that is bad (like a palsy or an injury) you are likely just seeing a change now that some fat has left. You can use fillers or maybe use botox if it's about a muscle needing to chill out, but if it bothers you and you are mid loss, you might want to just use makeup (specifically contour and highlight) to adjust the noticeability until you have stopped losing and things have repositioned. I doubt it but it could be a little inflammation or water retention that's making it just that much more noticeable to you. Sorry it's bothering you but personally all I see is a fox!
  • pennygm72
    pennygm72 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I thought possibly Bells Palsy too, I think it's worth a check up with your Dr.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Have you seen a Dr?

YES!!!!

This is the sign of a stroke. Please go to the ER immediately! You don't always know when you have them, but they can still do damage! And can be precursors to more major ones.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,737 Member
    Options
    Without wishing to dissuade you from checking with your doctir (I agree it's a good plan):

I've certainly had uneven fat loss between the right & left sides of my body, so I don't see why this couldn't happen with facial fat as well. For other body parts, it's tended - for me - to even out more as fat loss progressed.
  • tlanger251
    tlanger251 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    stroke?! dang.. okay.. i'll make an appointment. another factor is that i got my sun spots laser(ed) with pro yellow laser and there was a little swelling in a few spots.. but this sunken cheek seemed to happen within the course of a few days and several weeks after the treatment. I can't find anything about subcutaneous fat loss with IPL or pro yellow laser. when i touch my face there is just a lot more fat on one side..
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I know i don't lose fat symmetrically though I haven't really thought specifically about my face. It wouldn't surprise me.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    tlanger251 wrote: »
    stroke?! dang.. okay.. i'll make an appointment. another factor is that i got my sun spots laser(ed) with pro yellow laser and there was a little swelling in a few spots.. but this sunken cheek seemed to happen within the course of a few days and several weeks after the treatment. I can't find anything about subcutaneous fat loss with IPL or pro yellow laser. when i touch my face there is just a lot more fat on one side..

It might not be anything, but if it is something it could save a lot of future problems to have it properly diagnosed and treated.
  • trastrong
    trastrong Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I’m not sure but it looks like a condition call Parry Romberg.