Can your workout be split??

Options
kmaf2018
kmaf2018 Posts: 124 Member
Hi All

I'm currently following a weight training programme (my PT's training programme) but as i only workout on my lunch hour can my workout be split so I do some in the morning and some on my lunch hour? So workout 1....can I so half of workout 1 in the morning and the half of workout 1 at lunch?

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Sure, why not? Do it when you have the time for it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Yes, absolutely. There are times when I cannot finish my workout in the morning so I finish it in the evening. The only downside for me is needing to warm up again.
  • kmaf2018
    Options
    Thanks... thats great, I just didnt want it to hinder my progress if some days I werent doing the whole workout together! Workout 1 is deads, squats, glute bridges, bent over rows and oh press but would be good to sometimes split it up throughout the day i.e morning before work and lunch hour as opposed to just lunch time workout
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    If it's resistance training, it's best to do it all together, as each exercise tends to build on the last and break down your muscles even further, granted you're doing the right program. That being said, doing half and lunch at half at the end of the day is vastly better then not doing resistance training, so do what you can and what works best for you.
  • kmaf2018
    Options
    Mmmmm I'm not sure its resistance training, I'm building on increasing my weights so I do 4x sets of 10-12x reps depending on workout but im trying to rest a bit longer in between and its taking me over my lunch hour hence my question on if it can be split if need be :-)
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    KMAF00 wrote: »
    Mmmmm I'm not sure its resistance training, I'm building on increasing my weights so I do 4x sets of 10-12x reps depending on workout but im trying to rest a bit longer in between and its taking me over my lunch hour hence my question on if it can be split if need be :-)

i'm not a trainer, but afaik you should be able to do either. the difference may just come down to whether your muscles develop more absolute strength, or more endurance. that's how it seem to go for me, anyway. when i do full rests between sets, i tend to get stronger on a more steady kind of line. when i'm rushing the rest cycles i probably don't return to my full 'potential' each time before i start the next set, but i do seem to get better at just plain being able to bull through a longer stretch before i start to run out of breath.

you can make lifting a cardio thing, if you want to :tongue: i can't say it's my own personal choice.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    As long as you segment you muscle groups properly, you should be fine. Work legs in the AM and upper body in the PM or vice versa. You are good to go.