I'm always left hungry.

Options
If I follow my calories the way I should, i.e. 450 per meal x 3 meals per day, I am still hungry. I have tried different things, from larger veggie volume to fill me up and more fiber to fill me up, but it is not really making a big difference either way. I am trying to drink a lot more water too thinking that may help, but it really doesn't. My Doctor says it is just a matter of "your eyes are bigger than your belly" type thing. It's not a physical thing at all. He says I will get used to fewer calories and less food if I just stick to it. But it is just really difficult when I do really have a feeling of being hungry. It's not all the time, but when I am hungry, it's hard to think of anything else. I've been at this for over two months now and have only lost 6 pounds. I should have lost that in 3 weeks. I'm feeling kind of discouraged.

Replies

• erienneb66
    erienneb66 Posts: 88 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I feel like that isn't a lot of calories at all, what are your stats like weight height etc.? I snack all day rather than 3 meals because even though I eat the same amount it just makes me feel better to graze as the day goes by.

A 6lb loss is still 6lbs that you didn't gain. It is still great progress. 3lbs a month is nothing to scoff that.

Also are you weighing your foods?
  • Panda8ach
    Panda8ach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I eat little and often during the day and have a 500+ meal for tea :) I do have days where I seem to have an insatiable hunger (like today!) but 90% of the time it works. If you're body gets hungry and it's not sure when it's getting fed again, it will hold on to the fat :( Maybe try it for a week and see how your body responds :)
  • ehseeker
    ehseeker Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your macros are but you might want to look at those. Are you eating clean or having processed foods that add a lot of carbs? The answer might be to look to where your calories, carb and fat are coming from. I've been actively losing since early March and have lost 16 #. I'm averaging a pound a week just like you. At this rate my clean eating habits will stick with me when I hit goal. Try breaking up your 3 meals into 5 or 6 smaller meals. That might help your hunger issues. Personally, I don't eat back the calories MFP says I burned while exercising. I think agree with estherdragon that they overestimate. For example, if it says you burned 250 calories exercising, does it take into account you'd have burned 80 doing nothing? I don't believe so. That means you've really only burned an extra 170. I buy Quest Protein Powder and have a protein shake after exercising. I find it filling. Mixed with water it's only 110 calories, 4 carbs - not a diet buster. Don't give up!
  • slimmons_1
    slimmons_1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    On the eating plan I'm on I never feel hungry I can't explain it it's just very balanced and yes I know I'm allowed double you but I'm always under even without using my exercise calories x
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    You don't have to split your calories evenly across your meals.

Play around with your macros. Play around with meal timings. Play around with meal sizes. Just experiment. There's nothing rigid about weight loss other than eating fewer calories than you burn.

6lbs in two months is just fine! That's just shy of 1lb per week which for most is a perfect rate of loss.

This. Some find that they don't want much in the morning, which gives them more calories later (I am like this). Others are the opposite, and like to get most of their calories earlier. Some like multiple meals while others prefer fewer but larger meals. You just need to experiment a little more to see what works for you.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    yeah, I know the feeling. Chew gum, drink tea... see if you need more protein.
  • jennyf55
    jennyf55 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I did start measuring and weighing my foods and got the shock treatment I needed from that. So now I know I need to do that all the time, guessing is foolish. You have to weigh and measure. I also had to get my shock treatment from the fats and carbs and also the salts I was eating before I started this diet. WOW! I really needed to clean up my eating. I am working on that. But in doing all this good stuff, I could eat twice what I am eating to stay within my calorie allotment. I just feel hungry. That's all I am saying. If I satisfy my hunger, I gain weight and that's not what I want, but how long is it going to be before I'm satisfied with the smaller portions of food? :/ I can't eat 5-6 smaller meals instead of 3 per day. Then, I'd be thinking about food all day long. That doesn't work for me. I actually have 3 meals and 1 evening snack as it is. I would like to be able to have a protein shake for breakfast and one for lunch and eat a healthy dinner and have a small snack in the evening like nuts or yogurt. That's kind of my goal, but I haven't achieved it yet. I'm still too hungry.

I am trying to exercise more too, but that it just walking right now. I have full blown Fibromyalgia which causes me a lot a pain so I can't do much beyond walking. Working out in a gym is out of the question. I do most of my own housework and try to help with some of the yard work so I am not just sitting around doing nothing. But I do have my days where it is nearly impossible to do much of anything. I hope to get to a point where I can maybe find a place to go to work out in a pool. They say that is good for people who have a lot of pain problems.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,737 Member
    Options
    As has been said, you don't have to eat 5-6 or even 3 meals a day. You could just eat one huge one if that worked for you.

And again, play around with your macros. Some people find protein keeps them fuller. Some fat. Some starchy carbs. Some fibre. For me it's a need for all three macros at each meal but fibre is no big deal. I don't eat breakfast until very late in the day if at all if I'm not exercising that day. I don't get hungry and I can have two pretty hearty meals instead.

A protein shake for a meal? Would never work for me. It wouldn't even stave off hunger for 5 minutes let alone a few hours.

Experiment. Not everyone is the same.

Endorsed!

Everyone can lose weight if they find the right calorie level, but satiation is very individual. Experiment to find yours.

Also look at other factors that can increase hunger: Inadequate sleep, stress, social triggers, time-of-day or other habitual factors, trigger foods, sub-ideal hydration, boredom, etc.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    1350 is pretty low. You will feel hungry at this level and that probably won't go away. Do you need to eat that low to lose?

I did that last year but it's not sustainable. So, I'm at 1650 calories. Guess what? I am fairly hungry all day. Well, I do eat a smaller breakfast and I do okay between breakfast and lunch.

Try changing things up. I scramble two XL eggs in a little butter with Jimmy Dean Turkey Crumbles and I am coming in at around 210 calories. I don't feel "full" when I'm finished but I can make it too lunch without feeling like I'm going to starting chewing my arm off.

Also, I have to say, some people just have a stronger appetite, hunger cue than others. According to my mother, I've always had a large appetite, even as a child. Fortunately, I had a fantastic metabolism until I hit my 40s. No way I can eat like that now.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    CMNVA wrote: »
    1350 is pretty low. You will feel hungry at this level and that probably won't go away. Do you need to eat that low to lose?

I did that last year but it's not sustainable. So, I'm at 1650 calories. Guess what? I am fairly hungry all day. Well, I do eat a smaller breakfast and I do okay between breakfast and lunch.

Try changing things up. I scramble two XL eggs in a little butter with Jimmy Dean Turkey Crumbles and I am coming in at around 210 calories. I don't feel "full" when I'm finished but I can make it too lunch without feeling like I'm going to starting chewing my arm off.

Also, I have to say, some people just have a stronger appetite, hunger cue than others. According to my mother, I've always had a large appetite, even as a child. Fortunately, I had a fantastic metabolism until I hit my 40s. No way I can eat like that now.

She's losing 3lbs per month, there isn't a lot of room for a large calorie increase unless activity is increased in line.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Many cut out most of the foods they find most satiating when trying to lose weight in favor of all "clean" foods. That's not necessary, as long as you hit a good balance that allows you to stay within your calorie goal. Wish you well :)

Edited to reflect I had misread your rate of loss.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    You didn't mention your stats (height, weight, goal weight), but it sounds like you have set your weekly weight loss goal to 2 lbs/week, which is generally only for those with more than 75 lbs to lose. You would likely benefit from lowering your goal to 1.5 or even 1, because if you are more comfortable with the process, you will be more likely to stick with it long term. That being said, you *are* losing about 1.5 lbs/week, so that would point to some logging error, if you are supposed to be losing 2 at 1350 calories. That's great you're weighing everything, but also be sure to choose correct database entries and if you exercise, you may not want to eat back all of the calories, because the database entries tend to be pretty inflated.

As to the hunger, many cut out most of the foods they find most satiating when trying to lose weight in favor of all "clean" foods. That's not necessary, as long as you hit a good balance that allows you to stay within your calorie goal. Wish you well :)

Again, 3lbs per month losses. What she has input is irrelevant, she has her own data.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    You didn't mention your stats (height, weight, goal weight), but it sounds like you have set your weekly weight loss goal to 2 lbs/week, which is generally only for those with more than 75 lbs to lose. You would likely benefit from lowering your goal to 1.5 or even 1, because if you are more comfortable with the process, you will be more likely to stick with it long term. That being said, you *are* losing about 1.5 lbs/week, so that would point to some logging error, if you are supposed to be losing 2 at 1350 calories. That's great you're weighing everything, but also be sure to choose correct database entries and if you exercise, you may not want to eat back all of the calories, because the database entries tend to be pretty inflated.

As to the hunger, many cut out most of the foods they find most satiating when trying to lose weight in favor of all "clean" foods. That's not necessary, as long as you hit a good balance that allows you to stay within your calorie goal. Wish you well :)

Again, 3lbs per month losses. What she has input is irrelevant, she has her own data.

Yes, I caught that & edited to reflect it.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your pain issues. I've known people who've had great success with pool therapy. If you're on any medications for that, do they cause hunger?

I have a few ideas to share with you. Each one assumes you are eating enough calories. Take what you like and leave the rest:)

First, maybe it's not really physical hunger, but something else. At the end of a meal, maybe you just feel like you need a little something more (that's really common.) Sometimes, I feel like I just need to leave a meal with a sweet taste in my mouth, so tea with stevia really helps me. Since it's hot, I have to drink it slowly, and by the time I've finished, my meal has "kicked in" and my brain stops telling me to eat.

Second maybe you aren't eating enough protein. Protein keeps you full for a long time, but if you're heavy on carbs, that could be causing hunger if your blood sugar is spiking and then plummeting.

Third, my doctor, who also practices functional medicine, just told me that even people who aren't sensitive to gluten can experience decreased nutrient absorption due to gluten, which acts like a barrier in the digestive system. If your body isn't fully getting the micro nutrients from the food you're eating, I suppose that might cause hunger.

Fourth, I know this is rare, but if your micro-biome is out of whack, due to antibiotics or other meds, toxins, too much sugar, or just obesity, the "bad bacteria" in your gut send messages via the vagus nerve connecting the stomach to the brain. The message to your brain is "eat sugar" because that's what the unhealthy bacteria live on. (sorry for the layman's science!) It's well documented that obese and slender people have different micro-biome profiles, but it's unknown why or how/whether to address it. Not everyone agrees on whether probiotics are helpful, but most doctors will recommend pre-biotic supplements to support the billions of good beasties in your system - all 4 to 7 pounds of them! Bottom line, if your micro-biome is healthy you stand a better chance of not being inappropriately hungry.

Fifth, my nutritionist recommended several minutes of mindfulness meditation to get hunger under control (if hunger doesn't seem appropriate.) I use the Calm app on my phone and found it's super helpful for hunger. It really surprised me. She actually asked me to do the meditation before each meal, but I usually only do it if I get that old nervous-snacky feeling. Meditation calms the vagus nerve so it stops sending the message to your brain to eat.
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Give us a rundown of your meals. If I eat low fat I starve on my 1200 cals. It took me a year to lose 20 pounds. Loosing weight is really really difficult at first but gets much easier the longer you keep at it. It will work. Concentrate on how long you feel satisfied after each meal and what you ate. I have two coffees in the morning, breakfast shake at noon with kale, spinach, berries, flax, chia seeds, Matcha and caisen protein powder. I just learned caisen keeps you fuller than whey. It's a 32 ounce shake. Lunch is nuts and dried fruit. Latte after with heavy cream. Dinner is as late as I can make it and has lots of raw veggies and protein. Eggs keep you full for a long time. You can get low cal fudge pops, 40 cals and you feel like you're getting a treat. Also special K protein bars...really candy bars..for 170. Popcorn is a good one too. Hang in there! Don't give up! Friend me.and we can share diaries.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I think the only thing you can do is play around with the size and timing and composition of your meals.

I won't ask you to tell us what you eat or give you lists of filling foods. Satiety is an individual thing, and you'll need to find out through trial and error which foods are most filling for you. Don't think that just because all low carbers say fat is filling that you'll find it's filling or because all the young kids are telling you starch is where it's at that a bowl of cold potatoes will necessarily do the trick for you.

I will say this much - sometimes it's a combination of things. It took me a while to find out, for example, that I need protein and starch to feel satiated. For other people it's protein and fat. For others it's protein and fiber. I saw someone else once say it was starch and fat. See how much it varies?

The bottom line is that you have mentioned what you think is an ideal type of diet you have in mind for yourself, but it's not working - so - just don't keep trying to eat that way! Experiment with different foods within your calorie budget that have different macro mixes, and see what that does to help with the hunger pains.