Runners

Options
fteale
fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
How many calories do you burn per mile, on average? Do you find it varies with speed?

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I ran two miles this morning in 24:40 and burned 223 calories, so about 110 calories per mile. I can't go faster than that (yet!) I'm 45 years old, 5'3" and weigh about 130, all of which I think factors into that. I'm not in the best shape, either, so I'm probably burning a little more because my HR gets up there while I'm running.
  • MOOOSEEE3
    MOOOSEEE3 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    It all depends on if you are male or female, how much you weigh, your height...how much effort you put into it...so there really is no exact number
  • Lauren1983
    Options
    A good base to go by is 100 calories per mile ran. Less if you have walk breaks. If you are quite overweight then a little more.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    100-120 per mile depending on speed as well as incline. I track mine using my Garmin usually or an HRM.
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    i think around 105-110 per mile when running at 6-6.5mph but i don't know for sure.

I do know that if i walk around 4mph, i burn almost exactly 100 calories per mile (1 calorie per .01 mile) i can literally watch the two numbers go up simultaneously.
  • Nishka09
    Nishka09 Posts: 33
    Options
    I've heard it is around 100 cal per mile, on average.
  • kmp327
    kmp327 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I think it's really individual, which is why I recommend you investing in a heart rate monitor. I got mine from Amazon (the Timex Personal Trainer, I think it's called), and it was only like $40. Just make sure you get one with a watch and a chest strap. That will give you the most accurate results, and then all you have to worry about is pressing start and stop and not tracking mileage and doing calculations.
  • lukybug
    lukybug Posts: 209
    Options
    Your BMI should be taken into consideration as well. I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the higher your BMI, the more calories you burn. I ran yesterday for 3 miles (35 minutes) which was a slow run for me, but I took my puppy for the first time and I burned 381 cals. I think the norm for me is roughly 125 cals per mile. Speed would also play a factor as well as incline etc.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    im not sure, i just get a count from my polar. i run 5ks atm and burn between 400-600 takes me just under 30mins!. depends on how hard im pushing.
  • faithfitnessandnutrition
    Options
    I find that mine varies also by the terrain, I usually run for an hour most days, if I run my flat terrain, I will burn between 600-700 calories depending on the intensity of my run, but when I do my hill runs like I did on Monday where I did 6 miles and 8 hills, I burned 1043 calories in 73 minutes. I used a HR monitor with a chest strap that I have had for almost a year, where I am able to input my height, age, weight etc;
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I've heard 100 cals a mile on average too but I know I burn less. I've also read it doesn't matter how fast you go but that never made any sense to me. Maybe someone could explain it.
  • mamato4kids
    mamato4kids Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I burn an average of 100 cals a mile.
  • TTops76
    TTops76 Posts: 116
    Options
    Depends on speed, incline, whether outdoors or in. I work harder outside so average 110 to 120 outside while only 90 to 100 inside figuring on a 10 min mile. Also your weight, gender and overall fitness level will come into account. If you don't have a HRM with chest strap or Garmin I recommend getting one. Good luck
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    It depends, I generally burn 350-450 calories in a 25-30 minute run, depending on things like terrain, speed, wind, etc.
  • ratkaj
    ratkaj Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I personally use this site to calculate my calories from a run:
    http://www.healthdiscovery.net/links/calculators/calorie_calculator.htm
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I have heard the 100 per mile thing too, but I am at more like 80 per mile, at 5'5" 133 lbs. It's annoying me!
  • Nishka09
    Nishka09 Posts: 33
    Options
    I've heard 100 cals a mile on average too but I know I burn less. I've also read it doesn't matter how fast you go but that never made any sense to me. Maybe someone could explain it.

The way I understand it is because, say one person runs 1 mile in 6min, but another runs 1 mile in 12min - the person who ran it in 6min only exherted themselves for this short amount of time, versus the person who exherted themselves for 12min, so each burns 100 cal, just one burns it faster than the other.

But I personally don't think that's 100% true, because I do think you burn slightly more the faster you go.
  • ratkaj
    ratkaj Posts: 166 Member
    Options

The way I understand it is because, say one person runs 1 mile in 6min, but another runs 1 mile in 12min - the person who ran it in 6min only exherted themselves for this short amount of time, versus the person who exherted themselves for 12min, so each burns 100 cal, just one burns it faster than the other.

But I personally don't think that's 100% true, because I do think you burn slightly more the faster you go.

There is actually a point where you burn more walking than you do running. There was an interesting article in runners world about it. I'm sure you could find it on their website.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Normally around 125 per mile, but as high as 160 per mile when running hilly terrain at a decent clip (8:00 min mile). That would be for a 183lb male, keeping an "average" HR of 160 for an hour (with a MHR in the mid 170s on the same terrain).
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I burn 90-95. or so the heartrate thing that came with the garmin says! If i go faster (which is rare) then it does go up to over 100.