Anyone trying to lose weight with a chronic illness?

Options
I feel like it would be really helpful for me to talk with other people who are dealing with chronic illnesses and trying to lose weight. Personally I have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome, severe POTS, chronic daily headache, Migraines, ME, GERD, and gastroparesis.

Replies

• go_julihana
    go_julihana Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia. Making exercising really hard, but I try...
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I have chronic pain and fatigue. It certainly adds to the challenge!
  • jpearson1289
    jpearson1289 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am struggling with chrinic fatigue & pain amoung a large last of symptoms that my GP believes is fibromyalgia. It makes exercise so much harder & is mentally taking a toll on me to get my weight under control. It's reassuring to know and hear from other people who are having the same feelings, that I am not alone.
  • NatiBlum
    NatiBlum Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have RA. It's under control but it does make me tired:/
  • SarzJWix
    SarzJWix Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have hypermobility syndrome, chronic costochondritis, osteoarthritis in my spine, hands, knees, feet, a dodgy thyroid, and dyspraxia. Chronic fatigue is much better since I took control of the thyroid treatment for myself, but I still have a fair amount of pain at any given time.
    I'm currently trying to quit smoking and lose weight at the same time, maybe not the best plan I ever had! But I'm very much an all of nothing sort of personality, so I'm just thinking and aiming for 'healthy' in one go. After 6 years of p/t studying for my bachelor degree, sitting at a desk and not getting enough exercise, I'm sick of feeling crap!
  • SarzJWix
    Options
    I should add, I have about a third of my body weight to shed - 4.5 stone, so I'm going to be here for a while! Happy for anyone to add me as a friend!
  • FluffyMamaNeeds2Lose
    FluffyMamaNeeds2Lose Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Good morning from Ohio. I am a 37 year old mother of two with auto immune disease (fibromyalgia, RA) and also have spina bifida occulta which makes it really difficult to exercise some days. I have so much weight to lose and it can get discouraging. I deal with emotional eating especially on high pain days and would love to have some more support from people who understand what it's like to deal with these obstacles.
    Feel free to add me!
  • eponine1976
    eponine1976 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I have severe asthma, plus an immunodeficiency disorder that makes me get sick easily, chronic fatigue syndrome and I also get maintenance chemo for my stage 4 breast cancer that is currently in remission. I would love to be friends with others who have chronic illness.
  • ActionAnnieJXN
    ActionAnnieJXN Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have chronic leukemia, am a bone cancer survivor, have diabetes, and bad knees - and I've lost 90 lbs over the past couple years through calorie counting. My exercise varies from none to moderate, depending upon my energy and pain level from day to day. It is possible to lose weight even if one is bedridden. Don't let anything stop you, just keep going. Embrace life - it's precious.
  • meganw2020
    meganw2020 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia and yes it makes things very tough. I used to be very fit and workout all the time, I tend to try and workout like I used to and then make myself so exhausted that I am out of commission for a week afterwards. I have been working on just doing small things like taking a walk on my lunch at work and some gentle yoga to try and get back into the swing of things. I have to remind myself that any exercise is better then no exercise, I will probably never be able to workout like I used to but that doesn't mean I am a failure. I have also recently cut out gluten from my diet and I am surprised how much better I feel. I was resisting doing it for so long because hello I love bread, but now that I am feeling the results of cutting it out, it is so worth it.
  • SarzJWix
    Options
    I've been trying to cut down on carbs/sugar off all types, including bread (which I adore too) because it does seem to 'feed' the inflammation more than any other food group for me. I have a terrible sweet tooth, so it's quite hard, but does work - my costochondritis especially is a lot better when I have less processed carbs.
  • lili200
    lili200 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Me 2. Happy you brought that up!! Please add me!
    After doing PT I am so tired, and need to exercise every day and then do the other thing called "life"..
    It's easier when I have fun- like biking with freinds, fresh vegetables and fruits..
  • pgc4340
    pgc4340 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Where to begin. I have fibromyalgia, plus other problems Dr's can not make their minds up about. My main issue is that when standing or walking for more than a very few minutes at a time, I am very dizzy, everything about me seems surreal, I start sweating buckets, have tunnel vision, and if I can't get down, I'll pass out. I failed a tilt table test horribly and I have failed tests at 2 neurologists but not at one who made up his own tests. Exercise is pretty much impossible, oh and I am extremely fatigued all the time. My dr. requested a 4 day food log, saw it, and announced I wasn't eating enough. She put me on a 1200 calorie diet with a lot of fruit and vegetables, plus 50 gr. of protein every day. I am to drink protein shakes and eat The Complete Cookie as a snack, but those two items, put me over the top on fat. At 1200 calories I gained weight, so I cut it back to 1000 calories and started losing a little weight, but if I don't eat the full 1000 I gain again. I'm having a problem consuming all the calories without going over the allowable fat, carbs and sugar. Does anyone, ANYONE, have ANY suggestions? I am ready to throw in the towel with this diet.
  • TeamMagnus1
    TeamMagnus1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia & chronic fatigue. My doctor is hesitant to put me on a diet of any kind. Just tells me to up my water & veggie intake while cutting sodas & anything real sugarry or salty. He keeps running bloodwork every few months to make sure nothing is off. I am greatful he understands my limitations, etc but at the same time... I am the type who needs stricter guidelines to help me lose weight. As if fibro & chronic fatigue was frustrating enough....trying to figure out the healthiest way to lose weight definitely tops it off
  • Bligzy
    Bligzy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm losing weight with a chronic illness, but it is more of a mental illness. Severe depression and severe insomnia with an erratic sleep schedule. This makes it hard for me to work out due to my depression, also eating habits are difficult for me because I have a very low appetite most of the time. But right now I'm losing weight and gaining muscle the right way, by eating healthy and getting exercise and also Understanding Nutrition in general. I have just lost 6.8 lbs in the past three days due to vigorous exercise and careful nutrition. The problem with me is to stay motivated because of my depression. And it is kind of ironic because I'm doing this in hopes that it will help my depression and all the other nasty side effects that depression causes.
  • AgileK9
    AgileK9 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    pgc4340 wrote: »
    Where to begin. I have fibromyalgia, plus other problems Dr's can not make their minds up about. My main issue is that when standing or walking for more than a very few minutes at a time, I am very dizzy, everything about me seems surreal, I start sweating buckets, have tunnel vision, and if I can't get down, I'll pass out. I failed a tilt table test horribly and I have failed tests at 2 neurologists but not at one who made up his own tests. Exercise is pretty much impossible, oh and I am extremely fatigued all the time. My dr. requested a 4 day food log, saw it, and announced I wasn't eating enough. She put me on a 1200 calorie diet with a lot of fruit and vegetables, plus 50 gr. of protein every day. I am to drink protein shakes and eat The Complete Cookie as a snack, but those two items, put me over the top on fat. At 1200 calories I gained weight, so I cut it back to 1000 calories and started losing a little weight, but if I don't eat the full 1000 I gain again. I'm having a problem consuming all the calories without going over the allowable fat, carbs and sugar. Does anyone, ANYONE, have ANY suggestions? I am ready to throw in the towel with this diet.

A friend of mine has that Ehlers-Danlos condition and one of the things she suffers from with it is something called POTS, Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome. She describes the same kind of symptoms you do. I know nothing about it other than what I've read on her Facebook page.
  • AgileK9
    AgileK9 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I have Fibromyalgia, I was really bad about 10 years ago with constant flares and sick all the time. I found a chiropractor who really helped me. Got my diet better, put me on supplements including Fibroease multi vitamin and loads of Vitamin D. I gradually got better where I don't get catch illnesses very much any more, if I do, they are mild. I do my best to cut out most inflammatory foods on a regular basis. I still have some dairy and grains occasionally, but its the exception rather than the rule.

I try to stick to lower impact exercises like walking, yoga, swimming, and some mild resistance training. I started mountain biking and really love it. I got a little over zealous though and wiped out so I'm recovering from that now...I forget sometimes I'm old. After I recover, I really want to work on doing more resistance training. I'm 47 and would like to retain or gain some muscle.

I think the big thing for me is just doing something. If I don't feel up to a real workout, I just take my dog around the block. It's something!

Feel free to add me, I can't seem to figure out how to add people myself...lol
  • amrita14sri
    amrita14sri Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I had a meniscus tear in my rite knee.. due to pain, wasn't exercising and jus putting on weight (mindless eating).. now dat i eat consciously and do yoga, i can walk comfortably and weight loss did ease my knee pain. I have pain on n off but i feel a lot healthier due to healthy weight.
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism, DM2, and now also taking Arimidex r/t treatment for breast cancer. The mental & physical side effects are CRAP. Ready to explode out of my clothes so back to mfp, as I want to reclaim living & feeling well.
  • chaserae
    chaserae Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have a congenital heart defect (TGA) I cannot do strenuous exercise. Mostly walking which makes weight loss slow. Some days I feel strong enough to exercise, other days not so much.