Suggestions for toning the stomach area without losing weight???

Options
I'm looking for suggestions on different exercises to help flatten my stomach area but without burning too much calories. I'm 5'3 and around 110lbs so not trying to drop anymore lbs but this damn stomach won't go away. (have had 2 C-sections) I feel like I've tried everything. [/i][/i]

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    ^ what he said. Just remember that the fat will come off from everywhere, not just your belly as you can't spot reduce.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    ^ what he said. Just remember that the fat will come off from everywhere, not just your belly as you can't spot reduce.

^ Well said. I thought about editing to add the point about spot reduction.

Eat at maintenance calories with an adequate protein intake, get on a good strength training program such as one of the ones listed in this thread, and have patience.
  • mariazmabey
    mariazmabey Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've had a c section. Nearly 4 years ago and I couldn't go back to the gym straight away due to my scar having problems. So I did home workouts and literally just done leg ups, side bends with around an 8kg weight, squats with weight. These helped get my baby belly down and now i go the gym and do weights I'm still getting rid of my baby belly nearly 4 years later so any advice let me no ;) ..
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    @mariazmabey the advice is the same as above with the proviso that you should check with your doc to see if you have diastase recti (sp?).
    Certain exercises can excaserbate the problem; others help mend it.

Cheers, h.
  • FitFedin31
    FitFedin31 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm aware you can't spot reduce; but it's hard when you're what I like to call skinny fat haha. I drop weight quickly everywhere and it's like my stomach is holding on for dear life. I should check with my Dr. though. I have done stomach exercises along with just getting in my normal 30 to 45 cardio in most days but nothing has changed. My children are 9 and 3 so it's been a long struggle
  • lgomez85
    lgomez85 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It's all about the Diet...
  • NoLimitFemme
    NoLimitFemme Posts: 118 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    FitFedin31 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm aware you can't spot reduce; but it's hard when you're what I like to call skinny fat haha. I drop weight quickly everywhere and it's like my stomach is holding on for dear life. I should check with my Dr. though. I have done stomach exercises along with just getting in my normal 30 to 45 cardio in most days but nothing has changed. My children are 9 and 3 so it's been a long struggle

The only way to change skinny fat is to gain muscle. Excess cardio will not fix it, you will need to start lifting some sort of weight (either in the gym or body weight).

I have also had 2 c sections (16 and 13 years ago) and only time will heal the skin.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I got an 8 dollar abs roller at Walmart and have abs for the first time in my life. Highly recommend it as it works your whole belly, including obliques if you use it to the side. Leg lifts don't actually work your abs, they work primarily your hip abductors.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I got an 8 dollar abs roller at Walmart and have abs for the first time in my life. Highly recommend it as it works your whole belly, including obliques if you use it to the side. Leg lifts don't actually work your abs, they work primarily your hip abductors.

if you have abs its because you lost the fat you had over the area to see them now. its not because of the workout.everyone has abs just some have to get down to a low body fat to see them.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

if you have abs its because you lost the fat you had over the area to see them now. its not because of the workout.everyone has abs just some have to get down to a low body fat to see them.

Um, nope, you absolutely cannot see them, because I have not lost the weight. But you can feel them because they are under there, and they did not used to be. Not everyone has abs, trust me, those muscles did not exist before I built them. There's a reason bodybuilders do ab exercises and it's not because they enjoy them.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i think the two biggest things that have showed up my abs are barbell front squats and pullups. not that i can do a pullup :tongue: but even doing a few sets of 'negatives' a few times a week will do it.

i've never had abdominal surgery of any kind, so add your provisos and safety checks.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

Um, nope, you absolutely cannot see them, because I have not lost the weight. But you can feel them because they are under there, and they did not used to be. Not everyone has abs, trust me, those muscles did not exist before I built them. There's a reason bodybuilders do ab exercises and it's not because they enjoy them.

yes they did exist.you do have abs underneath the fat. everyone has ab muscles unless you were born without muscle in that area for some reason,you cant just build new muscle out of nothing.you either strengthen what you have or make what you have bigger which requires a surplus of calories.

They were always there you just didnt feel them before. and you may have lost some fat over them to feel them more now even though it may not seem like it.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

Um, nope, you absolutely cannot see them, because I have not lost the weight. But you can feel them because they are under there, and they did not used to be. Not everyone has abs,trust me, those muscles did not exist before I built them. There's a reason bodybuilders do ab exercises and it's not because they enjoy them.

I think your confused, not every one has visible abs. If you didn't have abs before how did you build them?

That like saying my house never had a roof, but I built one from swinging a hammer up in the open air.