How long after eating to workout?

Options
I am curious because many people workout on empty stomach and some workout after meals. I ate about 30 minutes ago and I am wanting to hit the gym for cardio. My dinner consisted of chicken fajitas and a salad. My calorie goal is 1200 and I'm trying to lose about 20 lbs with diet and exercise. Drinking plenty of water.

Replies

• Cute_White_Pink_Purple_Foxxx
    Options
    Do whatever you feel works for you! I personally prefer to eat after I workout, but if you prefer eating before that's perfectly fine as long as you wait enough time to where you will not get sick.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Eat what you like when you like. If you like eating before exercise do that. If you don't, don't.

I prefer waiting a few hours between a meal and training, or training fasted. I always feel like I'm about to bring up my food mid rep if I eat too close to working out.
  • Missycvt
    Missycvt Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Eat what you like when you like. If you like eating before exercise do that. If you don't, don't.

I prefer waiting a few hours between a meal and training, or training fasted. I always feel like I'm about to bring up my food mid rep if I eat too close to working out.

Thank you! I'll wait a while before I head out!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite of @livingleanlivingclean as I can eat and then workout and be fine. For my weight training sessions, usually a total of three hours, I sip on a protein shake with some electrolytes.

The one thing I watch for is advanced yoga class and inversions. I still make sure I eat (being hungry distracts me) but I make sure it's light if I'm spending lots of time upside down.
  • mengqiz86
    mengqiz86 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    you need to figure or what works for you. For me it depends on the workout. For high impact workouts like running and tennis, I'll wait for at least 2 hrs. Low impact such as weights or elliptical 30 min may be enough