I'm freaked out! How much weight can one GAIN on a week long vacation?!...

Options
mariesofi4108
mariesofi4108 Posts: 31 Member
edited June 2017 in Motivation and Support
went on vacation, ran 5 miles a day while walking another 5 miles on average for a week. Was super pumped before vacation and had broken a weight losss plateau! I ate fine the first couple of days but fell off the wagon and ate upward of 2000 calories a day when I try to stay between 1300 and 1600. Kicking myself right now and so anxious to step on the scale when I get home!! I had been on a roll and now I'm sad my progress from the past month was lost in a week since I gain weight SUPER easily. For a week, will I have gained a pound or two?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    Maybe. Maybe not.

If you are flying, expect a couple pounds just from that. Every time I go on vacation I eat way over my goal and if I am up on the scale, it drops off within a week.

Stop stressin'! Stress raises cortisol which is a factor in over-eating. Stahp.
  • mariesofi4108
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Thanks! Any advice on getting back on track and keep up motivation?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I put on about 18lb in a week on honeymoon. But I wasn't running every day, and spent a lot of time eating restaurant food and lots of wine! I lost most of it in the week after we got home as it was mainly water retention.
  • mariesofi4108
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Wow! why so much water retention after a vacation?
  • mariesofi4108
    edited June 2017
    Options
    After weighing myself on a gas station scale in the evening (ya, I'm that curious to know my weight haha) I weighed in at 130, and my lowest weight has been 125.5 lbs... also, I know that's not completely accurate due to the time of day, food I've eaten, clothes, etc.
  • emd2570
    emd2570 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I gained 17 lbs - however it was mostly water from high sodium from eating out almost every day - I lost it in about 2 weeks
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    Wow! why so much water retention after a vacation?

Had nothing to do with vacation, but everything to do what and how much I was eating.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    @mariesofi4108 With that amount of running and walking, I doubt you gained any extra weight. Not much point all of us guessing. Just pluck up the courage to get on the scale and check.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    After weighing myself on a gas station scale in the evening (ya, I'm that curious to know my weight haha) I weighed in at 130, and my lowest weight has been 125.5 lbs... also, I know that's not completely accurate due to the time of day, food I've eaten, clothes, etc.

Weighing yourself on a scale that isn't your normal scale isn't going to be overly helpful. Scales aren't likely to be consistent, so by using a different scale you're just adding another variable to the equation
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I lost 5 pounds and wife gained 5. ;)
  • R1rainbows
    R1rainbows Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I gained 10 pounds when I went home to California for vacation lol... it was only 9 days.. but there's no food like food from home, know what I mean!? I wanted to fully enjoy my vacation, and when I returned I went right back on my little lifting and calorie counting program and burned it all away again in just under a month. Yes, it was totally worth it!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    kamamakai wrote: »
    This thread couldn't be more timely. I am on Day 9 of an 11 Day Hawaiian vacation, and had to be weighed to go zip lining yesterday. Good news: I am well within the weight limit to even GO zip lining!! And it was awesome. Bad news: With shoes, clothes, and in weighing at the end of the day instead of first thing, I gained 12 pounds. Ay yi yi. Am trying to be rational about this, but after losing 150 pounds, it totally freaks me out. Now I realize how very, very badly I want to keep this weight off. I'm much more active here, but also am eating more, I can't lie ... in particular high sodium food. So, we'll see what happens in the next 2 weeks after I return home. I'm counting on this being a temporary bump. I really don't want to go back to old habits and think ... oh, what's the use. All about moderation and long-term thinking, amiright? Thank you for posting everyone. This is why I love MFP.

10 lbs could easily be clothes shoes, and day end effect. And a Different scale. Great that it motivated you! You'll be fine when you get home.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    A holiday is not easy as it is breaking new habits. Personally I have lawyers teens it as maintenance trial time. SO I purposely go maintenance and am over the moon if I am within 1kg of starting weight
    For most holidays I fly (also on business trips) and one thing I have learned is that because of the act of flying and because in-flight food is often more salty I retain a lot of water. So I always skip at least one (preferably 2) days before a weigh in after a flight. Saves me a lot of worries and stuff
  • mariesofi4108
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Grrr we drove back home, and my weight is up 4 pounds. Tips on getting rid of the water weight? (Since some of it MUST be fat) :p
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    Grrr we drove back home, and my weight is up 4 pounds

No point stressing about it. The increased cortisol will probably make you hold on to it longer...
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Grrr we drove back home, and my weight is up 4 pounds. Tips on getting rid of the water weight? (Since some of it MUST be fat) :p

Why must some of it be fat? It doesn't sound to me like you were eating over maintenance. Give it a week- assuming your diet is back to normal, the water weight will fall off on it's own. No need to take extra steps. You really need to relax :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    The weight most people put on during a vacation is water and more inherent waste in your system...

Just do the math...