Looking for support

Options
Hello!

My name is Ewa and I've used MFP off and on but can't seem to stick to either a diet or tracking what I do. As long as I'm being "virtuous" I log in but when I'm sort of "off the wagon" I just stop logging. I am looking for someone to be accountable to - am sick of talking about dieting with my husband...it's so embarassing. I've had lifelong weight issues, yo-yo dieting since adolescence and a lot of my trouble is that I don't eat during the day and then eat late in the day. I'm also an emotional eater, food is soothing and comfort but I want to turn to other activities for that. Sugar is an issue. Anyhow, I'm feeling really motivated right now and looking for some company! I'm not sure how to use this message board but I know I'll figure it out. I'm 58, married, no kids, one rather fat cat and am currently not working. I am a nurse practitioner so should have this all figured out :) Kidding. I'm 5'5" and weighed in at 193.5lbs this morning and cannot believe it!!! Sometimes it seems that the more I try to diet the more I gain weight. I need to lose about 50lbs. I've been a little stressed lately, spending a lot of my time caregiving for my sister who is ill, going back and forth between MA and NJ where she lives.

I split my time between Boston and Fall River, MA. I love the arts and music, have been known to draw, enjoy photography, film. I love to cook and have quite a collection of cookbooks. I'm really into gardening. I want to start walking regularly again and have a bike with a flat tire that I'd like to get back on. My additional weight is really making it more difficult for me to move and I hate it. So I'm trying to start small, with walking, gardening, stretching/yoga. My husband and I both want to get more physically active and start doing stuff like hiking, canoeing, swimming etc.

Ewa

Replies

• alexandtigger
    alexandtigger Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You are not alone, we here at MFP will be glad to friend you and support you. A lot of us are in the same boat and when we support each other it makes the journey easier. Please add me, I am almost in the same position that you are but heavier. My friends here have been a big support for me and I want to extend the favor to you. Keep up the good mind frame you are in at this time, It is going to be hard but we are here if you need a friend who understands what you are going through.
  • chillimadlady76
    chillimadlady76 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi ...add me ..lets help each other...
    Lisa x
  • elizabethmcopeland
    elizabethmcopeland Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Hi Ewa!

I'm a member of a community garden here in Georgia. Playing in the dirt and taking care of green things as they grow is so rewarding. :) Maybe you can start think of taking yourself in the same way you think of taking care of your garden. <3

Welcome!
  • ewaconroy
    ewaconroy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi All who have responded! I'm so glad to hear from you and feel boosted already. I've been trying to do this alone all my life and it can be a lonely business :) I really believe in the power of community.

For many years I treated food as though it was the enemy, and my body as though it was something to abhor. I've worked really hard on self-acceptance over the past couple of years and can for the first time in my life say that I really like/love myself. I don't want to be at war with myself over the food thing. I want this to be an endeavor of self-love, taking care of myself better, weeding out old patterns that don't help me in the long run, so I can be healthier, lighter, with more energy.

Gardening is so great: I want to be able to just go outside to grab some lettuce for a salad, basil to make a pesto etc. It's so life-affirming to see how plants have such a desire to live and reach for the sun. I want to be like that too...living fully, reaching for the sun :)

Today is my husband and my anniversary and I got us a membership at the Boston MFA so we're going up to spend the day and check out the Matisse show. I want to turn to art and activity rather than food for joy.

Thanks again everybody for welcoming me and enjoy the day,

E
  • Rufftimes
    Rufftimes Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Congrats on that first step! My girlfriend and I did this together as well, and its great having a partner in crime. We're at the point where we're working out 6 days a week now, and we're both sitting right at our first goal weight!
  • ewaconroy
    Options
    It's so helpful to have someone to to do this with! I'm doing good so far...
  • ewaconroy
    Options
    Well, I'm doing pretty good but once again am not paying daily attention to doing this, as intended. I'm eating healthy for the most part, but by tracking my intake I'm seeing that I really really need to pay more attention to my portion sizes. And I'm still finding that I don't eat during the day and eating most of my daily intake in the early evening. The strawberries and yogurt that I had last night amounted to a LOT more calories than I'd thought!
    So, doubling up efforts on eating earlier in the day, eating lightly at night, and not eating anything after 7pm.
    On a stronger note, I did set up an appointment to begin working with a yoga teacher, and checked out the local YMCA which I'm going to join. They got a grant recently so it's newly renovated and just beautiful! I'm looking forward to swimming, lifting weights etc. I like that they have rowing machines...that's such a good workout. I haven't joined yet but intend to after I see if my husband wants to join with me. So...that's my story.

Hope everyone is doing well!