Vacation Weight Not Coming Off. What's happening?

Options
I am so frustrated I could cry. Last month, I put on 10 lbs. over an 11-day vacation. I didn't even see how that was possible. I knew I'd have some gain from the eating out 3x/day and no exercise, but not that much. Everyone assured me it was mostly water retention and would come off within a week or two. Once my vacation was over, I went back to my good ol' diet and exercise routine but only lost 1 lb. that entire week. I also realized at this time that I was getting bored of switching between the elliptical and treadmill every other day, so I decided to shake things up and begin taking classes at my gym. I thought this would also be a great way to lose that vacation weight. So I began taking spin classes on M & F, BodyPump (barbell strength training) classes on T & TH, and step aerobics on W. I am on week 4 of this new fitness routine and have only lost a grand total of 2 lbs. of my vacation weight. I consume between 1200-1600 calories/day during the week and 1600-2000/day over the weekend. I eat very healthy (lots of veggies & protein) and drink about 100-120 oz. of water a day. Why won't this weight come off? I'm about to give up.

Replies

• mrmarler
    mrmarler Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are going though, I gained back 5 lbs that I lost just falling in to old habbits and I am running at least 5 times a week and weight at the least 2 days a week and I have put on weight. I am also eating healthier than I ever have aside form 1 day a week! I wish I had an answer but hang in there I am having faith that we can get over this little hump!
  • veganjeanie
    veganjeanie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! It's frustrating that the body doesn't respond quickly sometimes to the changes we make in our exercise and eating (except overeating, it reacts in a heartbeat to that!). But it WILL respond in the long run, it has to. Think of this as a forever lifestyle change. This is how the new healthy you lives, and your body will change accordingly.
  • rider72
    rider72 Posts: 119
    Options
    With spin and strength training, you may be adding muscle weight. I would take body measurements and worry less about the scale for a while.

The best test, is how you feel about your appearance in the mirror. I wouldn't give up at this point, you've made great progress...the last bit is always the hardest to lose.

Add in some high intensity cardio several days a week (you seem to have that with spin class), and review your diary for any changes you might be able to make. Do you drink diet soda? eat anything with artificial sweeteners on a regular basis?
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    i did the same thing i just got back saturday, gained 10 lbs, have taken five off though so far just doing what i was doing before and i know most of that loss was probably water so i am not getting too excited.. good luck you look great, maybe you are gaining muscle from the extra classes which is never a bad thing,
  • taurie
    taurie Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    It happens to me every time I go on vacation. I gain about 10 lbs in one week and it takes several months to lose it. It's so frustrating.
  • taurie
    taurie Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    It happens to me every time I go on vacation. I gain about 10 lbs in one week and it takes several months to lose it. It's so frustrating.
  • jcch00
    jcch00 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    With spin and strength training, you may be adding muscle weight. I would take body measurements and worry less about the scale for a while.

The best test, is how you feel about your appearance in the mirror. I wouldn't give up at this point, you've made great progress...the last bit is always the hardest to lose.

Add in some high intensity cardio several days a week (you seem to have that with spin class), and review your diary for any changes you might be able to make. Do you drink diet soda? eat anything with artificial sweeteners on a regular basis?

Yes, I drink diet soda. It's my little daily treat. I've been limiting myself to 1or 2 cans/daily for the past 5 weeks (I used to drink 3/day - even during the time I lost 56 lbs.). But I also drink water like a fish (100-120 oz./daily in addition to the soda). Experts say diet soda is bad because the artificial sweeteners make your body crave sweets, but I monitor my food intake closely and try to stay within a reasonable range of carbs/sugars/protein/fiber/etc.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    ive struggled with adding in too much excercise; also stressing over it helps u hold onto the weight. its impossible to go up that muhc real pounds, but when u excercise alot ur body puls in tons and tons of water and makes u go up alot, overnight. Im up 10pounds and have been doing better, not worse.. ive only lost a tad bit of weight since starting more excercise.. take some rest, relieve the stress, it will go away.