Blew up

Options
ironjay37
ironjay37 Posts: 136 Member
The other day I posted my first post on here and after not getting any responses kinda blew up on my post, nothing nasty, just woah is me, no one saw this blah blah blah. Deleted the post with the help of the awesome tech people. Reality check hit me though, there are literally thousands of posts a day on this forum, I let my emotions that day be dictated by responses when the odds of seeing or reading all of them is impossible, for that I apologize, it's not a grown up thing to do. I hope someone reading this will identify and even put things into perspective. I'm J, looking for friends on this weight loss journey. I'm starting out at 466, todays a new day. I have blown up over the years but today I deflate at least my ego by apoligizing for my bad attitude and asking for friends for a new start. Thanks

Replies

• Cute_White_Pink_Purple_Foxxx
    Options
    Hey, you can add me if you want. I'm looking for support as well on this long, hard journey. Have about 48 lbs I wanna lose, maybe more.
  • ironjay37
    Options
    Thanks, appreciate that, you can do it
  • carmy7850
    carmy7850 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi,we've all had nasty moments,we're human. I usually throw things..lol Add me if you want,we can support each other in good days and bad.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Happens to most of us! and in future, if noone is replyiing to your post just post 'bump' as a reply and that will bring it to attention once more :smile:
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I hesitated to reply as I'm not taking more friend requests. I remember how it felt at the beginning where you are at now. I was angry, defensive. I worried people would not take me seriously just because I was fat.

It felt so good when I got my first big success under my belt. I felt for the first time that maybe this time would be different. It was. I have a new life now.

My sincere wish is that you get to that same good place.
  • ironjay37
    Options
    Thanks for the helpful and understanding replies
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Like jgnatca, I'm not currently accepting new friend requests, which means I never really respond to new intro posts. But my best advice to you is to just into existing threads and post away! It's like rocking up at a party - you can either hang back and hope someone talks to you, or jump in and make yourself part of the conversation. Except way less scary than doing that in real life lol.
  • R2che
    R2che Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I'll add you! :)
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Just keep posting--you'll get takers. There are alot of different time zones on here so just keep bringing up your own post and it will be first in line. Read the forums and friend request the people you like. There are some who've been here for years and have so many friends that they can't accept more. Do't let that get you down. Select your friends--take your time. Welcome.
  • I_am_the_Cosmos
    I_am_the_Cosmos Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat it man: sometimes you need to vent. You can friend me if you want. I'm just getting started again (I'm about a week in) and I know it can be overwhelming. You got this.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    You can friend me. You may not always like what I have to say .....
  • Lynnara
    Lynnara Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Baby steps...and one 'hour' at a time, because for me, the 'one day at a time mantra' just doesn't always work.

What touched me the most about your post is; you weren't afraid to give up, you weren't afraid to apologize to strangers, and that you realized getting healthy is bigger than getting frustrated and deleting a post on a website.

YOU can do this - you're just going to have to be patient and forgiving of yourself and others.

• cyranda63
    cyranda63 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I feel like the more people who are involved in my progress, and the more people in whose progress I'm involved, the greater our chances for success! Let's get it done. :)
  • purpleychick
    purpleychick Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    junodog1 wrote: »
    You can friend me. You may not always like what I have to say .....

Tough love!!! I love it.....and need it sometimes
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I've been here 4 years and have pretty much reached my goal but I'm still here, logging, posting my workouts and encouraging my friends!

It's a long process that takes dedication and patience, you're changing your life so consider the meaning of that. There are a lot of successful people here to inspire you! Good luck!
  • jvcjim
    jvcjim Posts: 812 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @ironjay37 been there done that.

you are where i was in january... now i'm 45# lighter... it take time and weighing everything... along with plenty of plain water

here is a link to a group of folks who have similar weight loss objectives: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/115006-losing-is-winning

• lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    ironjay37 wrote: »
    The other day I posted my first post on here Reality check hit me I'm starting out at 466, todays a new day. Thanks

I value MFP friends for accountability & checking-in. I value MFP Groups for information and continual improvement. Sure add a few friends, but spend some time looking into Groups, so you can find a couple that fit your dietary and exercise method.

Before I lost my Fitbit, I joined a Fitbit group to keep on task with my steps and do a couple of challenges. I am currently trying out HIIT, high intensity interval training, so I am seeking out others doing the same.

I am a low-glycemic mostly whole organic foods eater, so a 'clean' eating group is going to have recipes I like.

Lowering the carbs was key to stopping my weight gain, and I have had weight loss success eating more fats, so the LCHF (low-carb high-fat) group works for me. Posters there key me into podcasts, books, tidbits, and little-known facts, I would not have easily found on my own.

One podcast talked about intermittent fasting. There are many IF routines and it turns out if I took the milk out of my morning coffee, I was already doing 16/8 (16h of fasting and 8h of eating in a 24h day). So I am looking for an IF group.

I am confident this combination will continue to work...as long as I continue to log. I have only gained back weight when I thought I no longer needed to log or gave up when I encountered a stubborn plateau. I am back, as of February, to be as committed to logging as I have been to the new habits I made part of daily life (adequate sleep, drink plenty of water, low-glycemic eating).

Hence my magic triad is: #1 Log everything every day #2 Find a few friends who will keep me to this task and who I will message when they haven't posted in a few days #3 Set upon the diet and exercise protocol that works for my staged goals. Re-evaluate and adjust as I move to & through my health goals.

@Lynnara recommendation of "Babysteps" resonates with me. Setting staged goals is one way. A first goal may be logging for 21 days in a row. A first goal may be a modest weight loss. Stage two and beyond goals can be: a certain amount of exercise minutes per week, adding a leafy green to every meal; a waistline inch loss; anything that helps you realize your ultimate weightloss goal (UWG).

Another way to incorporate "Baby steps" --especially if don't know what protocol fits you best yet, is to log for a few days, as you eat now. Review those days and pick one thing you can eliminate easily. "Easily" is key rather than "should', so you can have a success. A string of successes works better for me to stay committed.

This also gives you time to get to know the MFP Groups out there (which will help you find your best fit protocol), while still actually doing something. I also find for me, that once I find a protocol to baby-step my way into it. Others, find better adherence jumping all-in. You will decide. Remember, log everything every day.
  • Rick_1953
    Rick_1953 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    ironjay37 wrote: »
    The other day I posted my first post on here and after not getting any responses kinda blew up on my post, nothing nasty, just woah is me, no one saw this blah blah blah. Deleted the post with the help of the awesome tech people. Reality check hit me though, there are literally thousands of posts a day on this forum, I let my emotions that day be dictated by responses when the odds of seeing or reading all of them is impossible, for that I apologize, it's not a grown up thing to do. I hope someone reading this will identify and even put things into perspective. I'm J, looking for friends on this weight loss journey. I'm starting out at 466, todays a new day. I have blown up over the years but today I deflate at least my ego by apoligizing for my bad attitude and asking for friends for a new start. Thanks

@ironjay37 I will be happy to add you as a friend. I will send you a request
  • willfalconxp
    willfalconxp Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hey J,

I never saw your original post (the one you say you blew up over). But you seem like a pretty cool bloke, and you've given me support on a couple of my posts, so you've got a friend request heading your way from me.
    Cheers (and awesome beard by the way),
    Will
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Lynnara wrote: »
    What touched me the most about your post is; you weren't afraid to give up, you weren't afraid to apologize to strangers, and that you realized getting healthy is bigger than getting frustrated and deleting a post on a website.

This^^. Such a huge part of changing your life to be healthier and lose weight is the part where you change your mind and attitude. This is where so many of us crash and burn. It looks like you've got a good grasp of that (I generally go in for creative profanity), and that's a strong place to start. It's never easy, but I believe you have what it takes to go the long distance. I'm sending a friend request, too.