Having a hard time with food

Options
sumkay02
sumkay02 Posts: 24 Member
Good morning...well afternoon since it's almost lunch time.

Which is probably why I'm posting this now..................I'm getting bored with my work lunches. I'm getting tired of salads. I have found different types of salads in these little bowls in the produce section at the grocery store, so they are good, however on the days I don't have those I'm at a loss. Lettuce, tomato and cucumbers are getting old. Even to go out for dinner and get a grilled chicken caesar salad gets old fast.

I try to keep it super healthy at lunch because dinner is when I don't do my best. Cooking for my family gets tricky when it's so yummy and delicious and I'm eating.....well, a salad :neutral:

P.S. I hate avocado so please don't mention it LOL I know, it's everywhere, and it sucks because I just can't stomach it.

Replies

• everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Google "low calorie lunches" or "healthy lunches". There's a plethora of ideas out there. More than I could list or remember.

I usually have either a soup, salad, or sandwich. Sometimes, I have left overs from dinner, but if your dinners are typically high calorie you may not want to do that.

You could always meal prep lunch in advance as well if it's a time constraint issue.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    You don't have to struggle with food. Eat food you want. Eat food you like. Eat yummy food. Have family dinners! Don't eat too much. Log in your food diary, and you will see how much you can eat.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Just hit your calorie targets...you don't have to just eat salads. Also, nutritious can also be delicious...just because it tastes good doesn't mean it's not nutritious.

I'm having some grilled pork chop with sauteed green beans and radishes with sweet corn for lunch today.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I found these rice cake type things made from buckwheat that I like to use as a base for an open face sandwich. You can do tuna or egg salad or cottage cheese on it. I can't wait for the beefsteak tomatoes to come out. A big slice of tomato and american cheese will be awesome. Why aren't you and your family eating the same thing? I make lots of roasted or steamed vegetables and lean protein and we all eat the same thing.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on a chicken wrap kick for my lunches. Low-cal tortilla (I like Maya's - 90 cals), chicken breast that I smoke on Sunday for the week, spinach, and a laughing cow cheese wedge. I've been eating this for about 6 weeks. I'll get sick of it after awhile and switch to something else. ;)

xoo5rsitvniw.jpg
  • MrsMcLaughlin2013
    MrsMcLaughlin2013 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I make my own "Bento" boxes. So one day ill have a little chicken with a little bit of cheese, some almonds, grape tomatoes, maybe some olives - then I mix it up. Tomorrow its matchstick zucchini, squash and cucumber, broccoli florets with marinated artichokes, avocado (obviously you would choose something different) and hummus as my protein to dip everything in. That way I get a good variety and I don't feel deprived. I use a food scale and "pre" log to make sure I am not eating too much of one thing.
  • ThatLadyFromMN
    ThatLadyFromMN Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I understand, I'm on a break from salad at this moment. Lol. I bought some tomatoes, mozzarella, and vinaigrette to make my own caprese for lunches. I also sometimes just buy lunch meat and have a couple slices with string cheese and some berries. I know you don't like avocado but another thing I do is make homemade guac and then put it on top of cucumbers.

Maybe prepare some good roasted/sautéed veggies with a protein and a sweet treat? Indulge a little more at lunch and then make a little healthier dinner. My family is super used to ground turkey instead of ground beef now that it isn't a big deal and allows for me to have better lunches.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Egg salad or tuna salad with a slice of ezekiel bread and carrots with hummus. Yogurt with flax and fruit with a protein shake. Sliced meat and cheese chunks with yogurt/flax/fruit or carrots and hummus.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I make a "blended" salad with different things each week and while it's still green and has some of the same basic veggies, I vary it by adding spices (chili seasoning, Italian, Asian, Greek, kimchi, anchovy paste) so sometimes it's like gazpacho, other times like tabbouleh, etc. Also, I vary the texture by sweating some mushrooms and Kale and putting it on top.
  • apwendell
    apwendell Posts: 9 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Pinterest has a neat feature where you can type into the Search bar and find a bunch of items. If I type in Low Cholesterol meal ideas, a number of related options appears. There's a plethora of ideas on that site and I've found some good dinner ideas for my picky eaters... Today I made a left over lunch with 1/4 cup of taco meat, 1/3 cup of leftover white rice, 3TBS of red kidney beans, mixed color bell peppers, onions, crushed peppers. I sauteed all of the ingredients with a pinch of olive oil and sprinkled cilantro on it and it was delicious. 294 calories according to my log..Gonna add that to my favorite recipes cause it was surprisingly good!
  • sumkay02
    sumkay02 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses.
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    Why aren't you and your family eating the same thing? I make lots of roasted or steamed vegetables and lean protein and we all eat the same thing.

We do, however, one night when they had pizza I had a salad...I so wanted that pizza.
    I have picky eaters so it's a challege.
    When I make sloppy joes, I won't eat it with a bun. If I make a side, lets say mac and cheese, I'll have a few noodles to get my cheesy satisfaction but I'll fill up on veggies.