Cooking with oils and what to count

Options
afort001
afort001 Posts: 45 Member
So, I made a recipe with 3 tsp of extra virgin olive oil. I made pesto salmon with asparagus and tomatoes in foil (yummy). When I'm done I notice there is still some oil left in the foil. So my question is ...... do I count all 3 tsp or do I count a fraction of the amount used ...... like maybe 2 tsp? This may be a silly question but I'm just curious what you all do.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I count all 3 tsp. In time you'll learn you probably can use less oil than you used to.
  • daniellemichellecowger
    Options
    It changes for me. If I'm making the recipe and putting the ingredients in myself with servings and such I just do the total amount. And it will distribute the calories evenly. If I'm just cooking something smaller with a little in the pan, I just estimate how much I have on my food. (It's usually not a lot). Just assume that you'll get half of what you put on the pan on your food. That's what makes it easy for me.
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I always count the full amount, even if I don't consume it. Sure, some it is being left on the plate or in the pan, but it gives me a few "slush" calories for things that I might be underestimating a serving size for, or for an exercise that MFP might be overestimating a calorie burn for.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I always count the full amount too.
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    that's a good question. i usually count all of what i input, even if don't consume every single gram.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I'd count the lot unless you can accurately work out and measure what is fat and what is meat juices from the cooking process, best to slightly over estimate your cals and slightly under estimate your burns, gives you a bit of wiggle room. This is the same if I'm shallow frying eggs and I use a table spoon of oil but there's a little oil remaining in the pan when I take out my eggs. If you do want to discount the oil left I'd be very conservative though so if it looks like there's a full tablespoon left credit yourself half a tablespoon in case you're wrong, so 2.5 tablespoons total? x
  • mukbjl
    mukbjl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    honestly. do what ever is easier for you. i personally do not count oil when i use it to cook. i dont count all my green vegetables either. Just be consistent with how you track and you will be fine.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I always count the full amount too.

Me too.

I'd rather overestimate than underestimate. And if i don't consume the full amount of oil I've added, then it's a little added bonus for that day.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    The way you can get around this is to weigh the foil and oil before cooking then weigh the foil with the residue oil after cooking. The difference in weight gives you the amount you have eaten.

Personally, I just cut down on the oil required (unless the recipe really needs the oil) and include that in my logging.

Cheers, h.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    The way you can get around this is to weigh the foil and oil before cooking then weigh the foil with the residue oil after cooking. The difference in weight gives you the amount you have eaten.

Personally, I just cut down on the oil required (unless the recipe really needs the oil) and include that in my logging.

Cheers, h.

Most food will release some water which will also be on the foil, making it look like more oil is left than there is.

Frankly, I think you're better off just counting all of the oil, but definitely make this your second option, not the poster who just doesn't count it.

Too true, re the water, most things I do wrapped in foil are on the BBQ and have a steam hole so most of the water escapes.

Cheers, h.
  • afort001
    afort001 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input ! It was helpful and kinda what I was thinking