How to continue exercising with a back injury...

Options
I set new fitness goals for myself, and was doing really good at logging meals and exercise. I was training for a triathlon, and getting really excited...and then
BAM!
I injured my back in April, and the pain got worse and worse until I couldn't even walk 10 min. without tears.
Now I'm doing physical therapy once a week, and I'm still trying to count my calories, but my ability to exercise has been severely limited.
So, I'm reaching out to MFP friends for suggestions. How to exercise with an injured back without creating a chronic problem? I can walk up to 60 minutes a day, but I'm looking for some variation. i still want to lose weight, I just don't know how exactly to do it with such an injury.
Your suggestion?

(the therapist has forbidden biking, just FYI)

Replies

• angfish
    angfish Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Could swimming be an option?

I've read a few articles lately about the benefits of yoga for people with a history of back injuries.

Hope you get some relief very soon!
  • cvaneaton
    cvaneaton Posts: 154
    Options
    Your therapist should have some good ideas. :smile:
  • Degator
    Degator Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Walking in a pool or pool exercises ( I think it's called aquasize). Those would be safest bets, maybe ask the pt for more recommendations. It is difficult but can be done. I had spinal fusion surgery 3 years ago and it takes a long time for the back to heal. You never realize how much your back is involved in everything you do until you can't move it. Good luck and don't give up.
  • Angela_MA
    Angela_MA Posts: 260
    Options
    How about swimming or water aerobics? Hiking is another great alternative to just walking.
  • rebsaganes
    rebsaganes Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, literally. I had major back surgery in February & it's a long road of recovery. I do a lot of walking too. Another nice thing, if you can get access to a pool is exercising in the water. There's a lot you can do, it's easier on your body and you can still get a good workout. I would talk to your therapist about . Mine used it during my therapy too. Now I just do some cardio in there. Good luck!:happy:
  • brown_eyed_girl_06
    Options
    bump* because I have back pain and disk issues too and so I would like to know the answers to this!
  • gonzoschicken
    gonzoschicken Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the good suggestions. I'll run them past the therapist this evening.
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I hurt my back as well. I did water walking, and it was really good for me. I hope things are working out for you!