Whole Wheat vs Wheat Free

Options
So a lot of whole wheat foods are supposed to be good for you, right?

Well when I went on the website for a health food store nearby it stated that they sell a lot of gluten-free and wheat-free food.

What gives? Is wheat good or bad?

Replies

• jencoz04
    jencoz04 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    some people are allergic to wheat and it can affect them adversely.
  • carisatterwhite
    carisatterwhite Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of people out there that have a gluten/wheat allergy.
  • dclove0912
    dclove0912 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Gluten-free is good for people who are gluten-intolerant, or have Celiac's disease. Wheat-free is good for people who have wheat allergies. Whole wheat foods are better for you because the grain is less processed, so it has more of the stuff that is good for you! You can get 100% whole wheat foods from just about everywhere--you don't have to get them from a health food store :) I get my whole wheat flour in bulk from Winco. MUCH cheaper :)
  • myurk
    myurk Posts: 108
    Options
    Wheat free/gluten free goods are at health food stores because they are specialized and not necessarily mainstream. Despite what people think, gluten free goods are usually more unhealthy due to the use of more simple carbs such as white rice, corn etc. Whole wheat products if you can eat them, probably have more nutritional value.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Gluten-free is good for people who are gluten-intolerant, or have Celiac's disease. Wheat-free is good for people who have wheat allergies. Whole wheat foods are better for you because the grain is less processed, so it has more of the stuff that is good for you! You can get 100% whole wheat foods from just about everywhere--you don't have to get them from a health food store :) I get my whole wheat flour in bulk from Winco. MUCH cheaper :)

Better yet, if you can find a place near you that sells wheat (not the flour) and a grinder! We inherited my in-laws storage of wheat, which is over 35 years old, and it still tastes much better freshly ground than anything you can buy! Not to mention, there has been absolutely no processing before we get it. (Hard red wheat is the best kind).