13»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    What happens when you turn 30?

Death's Icy Grip

well dafuck. I guess i'm a walking dead woman.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Can I just say that the life/fitness changes and declines that one associates with the increasing decades -- losing a step, more soreness, stiffer, etc. -- almost never happen at 30 years, 40 years, etc.
    They happen. But in my experience they happen a few years after the decade-birthday. Say 33 years, instead of 30 years. I suppose they could happen a year or so earlier too.
    I once kidded myself that they were not happening. "I haven't really gotten much slower." "I'm still getting stronger/better." But I realize now I was simply denying reality.
  • gym4life64
    gym4life64 Posts: 824 Member
    What about after turning the big 5-0?! If you want it bad enough, you will find a way.
  • Carillon_Campanello
    Carillon_Campanello Posts: 726 Member
    Alarm set for 4:21 a.m.
    Out the door by 4:45.
    Back home by 7:15 when everyone else is getting out of bed.
    No one knows I was gone.
    Or that I was executing my plan to rule the worl...eerrrmmm....get in an extra set on the squat rack.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    I can do a lot of the same things I could do at age 25 (back when the Earth was beginning to cool); only I'm a step slower and recovery time is a lot longer.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    I'm in better shape at 36 than I was at 29.
    I do have some always-have-been-very-athletic friends who do sometimes lament their slow decline (note, however, that in their case, it means settling for 1st place in your age group while a younger pup takes 1st overall; they range from late 40's to their 70's)(less of an issue I think for average folk - "use it or lose it" is pretty apt..much of the general decline you see in aging people is from years of non-use. Those 'aging' athletic friends can still kick the *kitten* of like 99+% of the general population of younger folk.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    I've had my struggles like everyone else, but I'm more fit and stronger than I've ever been at 46. The only thing hard is to stop and fat chance at that.
  • dudebro200
    dudebro200 Posts: 97 Member
    I worked out consistently from 18-24 then I stopped until 30. I have been working out from 31-35 consistently.

It's definitely different. In my early 20s, I would squat 3-4 plates for reps, and I would try to squat as much as possible-- 700 to to 800lbs. I would never attempt something like that at my current age. I can do squats with perfect form and lower weight, at my current age, and still somehow feel back and knee pain the very next day.

I also really feel the difference in food. If I eat crap food, it affects my energy levels at the gym. I could just eat whatever in my 20s and not feel any difference at all.
  • conseanery
    conseanery Posts: 15 Member
    edited June 2017
    1. Gyms are overrated - there's plenty you can do with your own body weight and some tools at home - that cuts down on time.
    2. Diet is everything - you can always spend some time in the kitchen with the kiddos while you're preparing your meals.

I have two kids - 6 year old girl who is a handful and a 6 month old baby boy who is also a handful. I go to the office work a 10-11 hour day. I come home - kids play in the kitchen while we talk to my daughter about her day. I cook up my meals, eat dinner, and get the kids to bed. I do core exercises in my bedroom with my own body weight and some basic 25lb dumbbells. I also have a broom handle that I take off of my broomstick for twists. I have counter tops in the kitchen I can do dips. I've got a chin up bar for all pulling movements.

Life sometimes does get in the way - but if we want something bad enough.....we'll do what we have to.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    edited June 2017
    I write in my workout plan in ink on my calendar every week. It's an appointment I keep with myself, and somehow everything else falls into place. I did this in my 30's, and now it's a habit I have re-started at almost 60 years old. I used to meet a friend to run with twice a week. That was on my calendar in ink, and I think it helped to know I shouldn't stand up my running buddy.
  • greyjulie
    greyjulie Posts: 9 Member
    In my late 40s 5 kids reared now back to me time!!!Early morning workouts before work,sometimes I join my 17 year old daughter after work! :-)
  • evilokc
    evilokc Posts: 260 Member
    I'm 39 and found that when I was in my 20s I wanted to be the strongest biggest guy there was. it was all ego lifting. however now that I'm almost 40 I'm more concerned with being fit and in better shape than people my age. I have noticed a life time of stress on my joints will occasionally catch up with me and I will have sore joints for a short time. I still work out as hard or harder than ever but with more focus and dedication. I will be 40 in November and I plan to kick its *kitten* all year.
  • SpideyWebSlinger
    SpideyWebSlinger Posts: 26 Member
    I'm 31 now so I guess this applies to me now too
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member

Nothing special. Unless you are told around that time that more exercise and more muscle mass would do you good. Which led me to start my fitness journey about 2 weeks after my 30th birthday.
    Answering the thread questions with this in mind: I have no idea? Maybe that I am able to watch and adore the old lady at the gym, hoping I will be as fit as her one day, while as a teen I might have not wanted to even see being that old as a possibility.
  • trdrsix0s
    trdrsix0s Posts: 11 Member
    Get a home gym setup. Power rack bench press Olympic weight set. Add KBS sandbags or other things you may choose if wanted. Saves a ton of time and money in the long run. Cuts excuses to workout when you can knock a good trading into 39 minelutes a few times a week.
  • evilokc
    evilokc Posts: 260 Member
    A home gym would never work for me. I would go in and do a couple bench presses every now and then but i wouldnt follow a program at home. Im 39. The biggest thing i noticed after 30 was how easy it was to put on fat. Not blubber but its easy to get a squishy loose gut. If your new to working out the good news is that it will he very easy to put on some muscle in the beginning. Working out consistantly will throw results your way much quicker. Up your protein as well to support the buliding of your new muscle
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited July 2017
    AnvilHead wrote: »

I dunno, I forgot - that was almost 25 years ago! :D

36 years ago for me! Nothing happens at 30 that didn't already happen. Don't make excuses. Make results.
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    I just read this on CNN: 101 year old woman Julia "Hurricane" Hawkins sets world record dash (for runners in her age group). Over 30?? Ha ha ha. Lace up our shoes and go, no excuses.

Click on this to see her running on the track:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2721985-julia-hawkins-sets-100-meter-dash-record-for-women-100-years-or-older?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial