Eating whatever I want

Options
2»

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm seeing my doctor in another three months but when I saw him in March, I'd dropped 45 lbs, my BP had gone from 130/90 to 125/85, and the only thing that still seemed to be a bit of an issue was hemoglobin at the borderline-low end of normal. (For the last two months, I've started tracking iron intake on my diary page and hitting it or going slightly over 6 days out of 7. I wasn't getting the RDA before. We'll see what it looks like come September.)

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    natashab61 wrote: »
    Just to clarify I ate some watermelon and 1 ice cream for my lunch. Lol. I ate eggs and all the good nutritious things this morning. I am eating chicken and veggies for dinner. I was just curious.

I actually think my body does fine with carbs from fruit (I'm kind of low carb, but I eat plenty of fruit when it's in season, like now). However, I would not do well with a lunch of watermelon and ice cream -- I'd be hungry. I could ignore it and make it to dinner if I really wanted that for lunch, but it wouldn't be a good idea for me, and thus eating a meal without anything else is not something I would normally WANT to do. Might I on a rare occasion? Sure, and I don't think that would hurt me or mean I did not have adequate nutrition or would end up with high BP or clogged arteries.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I eat whatever I want within my calorie goals and have lost 80 of the 100 pounds toward my goal. I balance the foods I want with foods that help me feel satisfied, but never deprive myself of something I really want. Seems to work for me.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Hey guys
    I have read over and over on this forum that hey if it fits your calories you are good to eat whatever you want. I don't buy into this. I know micronutrients are important which you get from the good foods. I also feel like there is other problems associated with eat whatever you want mentality. Why do you believe it and what is your evidence?

I am asking because I ate a ton of fruit today and an ice cream. I know fruit is fine but my body doesn't do good with carbs from fruits. Anyway I'd love to hear from you all.

You can absolutely eat whatever you want and lose weight if you are in a deficit. You may make yourself good and sick eating only garbage. But you would be thinner.Personally I don't reccomend it myself. But that's up to you ;)
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Hey guys
    I have read over and over on this forum that hey if it fits your calories you are good to eat whatever you want. I don't buy into this. I know micronutrients are important which you get from the good foods. I also feel like there is other problems associated with eat whatever you want mentality. Why do you believe it and what is your evidence?

I am asking because I ate a ton of fruit today and an ice cream. I know fruit is fine but my body doesn't do good with carbs from fruits. Anyway I'd love to hear from you all.

What does this mean?
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I can only answer for myself, but I eat what agrees with my stomach, gives me solid energy for workouts (and life), and what tasted good. For me that means eating fresh berries 7 days per week and often several times per day. It also means eating a lot of dairy and lean meats. I avoid red meats, pork, soy, whey, and white flour.

However, I save room in my calories everyday for a brownie with milk or Turkey Hill Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream.

Will any of this help me lose weight? No. Will it impede my weight loss? No. It's just what I like and what makes my body and mind feel strong and energetic. People are telling you "it's all Math" because the weight loss IS.

But living on 1200 calories in Doritos or Lucky Charms is likely to make your health, energy, mind, and body function like crap. And THAT could impede your weight loss. But that doesn't change the Math of weight loss.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I eat whatever I want but I also happen to really love healthy, whole foods. I mostly eat healthy (to me) foods and I do believe they provide superior nutrition however that being said I don't cry about sugar or the occasional nutritionally empty addition. I think if you want to get most of your calories from pop tarts and Kraft dinner that's your business but I will include those foods less frequently because I believe they are nutritionally inferior. It's about balance not about perfection imo
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I do it based strictly on calories in/calories out because that is the only thing that works for me. Each person has to individually find what works for them. I get annoyed when people think they have found the holy grail of weight loss because there isn't one, there is no one size fits all weight loss plan. I fully admit that my main goal is weight loss, so basing it strictly on calories serves that purpose.
  • Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Just because something is classed as junk food doesn't mean it has no nutrients. A beef burger from McD for example has a decent amount of protein, fat, carbs, vitamin B (from the bread). Pizzas are a complete nutritious meal when done properly with fresh veg and cheese & can often have a good amount of vitamin c and calcium.

The problems starts when you use the whatever I want mantra to over-eat or to not balance your meals.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Honestly, I find that, when I eat what I want with a calorie deficit, I actually eat a pretty good balance of foods. I genuinely like fruits, vegetables, lean meats, and a variety of other foods. I wouldn't even enjoy a diet consisting wholly of junk food.