Cardio Only Girl Wanting to Lift Heavy Stuff. Help :)

Options
Okay, so I've lost the majority of my fat and with cardio and calorie counting, but I don't love the way my body looks, I know lifting is what I need to really reshape my body. I want to start the strong lifts 5x5 program, but I am honestly intimidated as a 100% newbie to anything at the gym other than the elliptical, how did you work up the courage to do the weights for the first time, do I start with the bar? n145yzh2duay.jpg
vom8d7jfe6ti.jpg

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Look into a good beginner program like strong lifts, all pro beginner, etc...

Keep protein high and continue to eat in small deficit...
  • conseanery
    conseanery Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Start with the bar. Learn and master the movement and motion. Gradually add weight as you master the motion. Most new to lifting weights start heavy with bad form leading to a weak foundation and risk injury. Build the foundation and progress from there. F the haters in the gym that judge. Everyone has to start somewhere and Rome was not built in a week.
  • PPumpItUp
    PPumpItUp Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    If you have never lifted before you should think about getting a trainer or getting in a class so someone can help you with your form.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I agree with getting a trainer so you learn good form & get a good programme.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Try not to be intimidated... :) You'll do fine. It is a long process, not unlike when you first learned about calorie counting, macros and all that. This is very similar.

Like you mentioned, Strong Lifts or Starting Strength are excellent programs to get your feet wet and progress.

Find 3 days per week that your schedule allows you to have 45 minutes to work out. It doesn't matter what 3 days, but they should be separated by 1 rest day. Many people pick Mon, Wed, Fri.

All the SS exercises can and should be started with just an empty bar. You will be just learning form for the first several weeks, and that's ok. Each exercise does have some typical form mistakes that can easily be worked through with team YouTube. One of the main ones is to learn to lift with a neutral spine. Not too concave, not too convex. Just right. A great google search might be 'deadlift neutral spine' or 'correct squat form'. Look at several different videos to get an ideal of the people who know what they're doing and the people that don't. One spot with alot of form videos is Athleanx as an example.

On your very first visit to the gym, ask the trainers (it might be free for the first few days) to show you the five SS exercises. If there's no trainers, ask some of the ladies who are using the barbells.

To not look like a noob, have a really serious face and look like you mean business. <-- that's probably the best advice I've got. You can do a mean face right ;)
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I learned from watching a mark rippetoe DVD and practicing at home.

Then practicing with just the barbell. I've also videoed myself to look at my form.
  • Dr__Girlfriend
    Dr__Girlfriend Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Strong Curves taught me how to lift. It's a book, and a great place to begin, it's also oriented for women - which is nice for a change:)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

This link has some good videos on lifting and solid programs. It might be worth looking into some books that explain the physiology behind it. But most importantly, start very light and if you need to, take videos and post them in here.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. i struggled with that when I tried New Rules of Lifting for Women. I felt stupid, hated having people staring at me, and didn't trust my form. :tongue: I am doing body weight workouts now based on my physical therapist's rec but I agree with getting a trainer for maybe your first session or two to check your form. The link psuLemon posted is a good resource, too!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely start with the bar. Watch a lot of vidoes (Ripptoes are good, or I think the StrongLifts site has some). And yes, take some videos and post here for feed back on form.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Start with the bar *if you can*. Not everyone can start with the bar for all the lifts, like OHP and CP. Use dumbbells for anything you can't use the bar for, or ask if there is a smaller bar available (that weighs less). Get an orientation to the weights area from a staff person and, if possible, pay for a few personal training sessions to get acclimated and get the basics of form.