Can anyone relate?

Options
Hello, to cut a long story short, I have turned to food as my emotional crutch over the past couple years and I now have 4 stone to lose. I know how to do and I want to do it. But....... something weird is in my head. It's almost like I am afraid to start, there's a real wall in front of me. It feels like emotional eating has almost become a companion, a friend. I don't know how to let it go! If anyone can relate/help/wants to join in on this journey/ I would love to hear from you xx

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Think about why you feel like you don't deserve to be happy and healthy.

• muffinmondays
    muffinmondays Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Sounds like my story swishy1977. Feel free to add me :smile:
  • thickspo91
    thickspo91 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Finding out the source of your emotional eating is key. That way you know what you what to fix or let go of in your life. Yoga and practicing gratitude during moments of stress has helped me a lot. Eating healthy, fulling and satisfying foods helps too.
  • JJS1979
    JJS1979 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    thickspo91 wrote: »
    Finding out the source of your emotional eating is key. That way you know what you what to fix or let go of in your life. Yoga and practicing gratitude during moments of stress has helped me a lot. Eating healthy, fulling and satisfying foods helps too.

Yes, this is a great response. Also, there is the misconception that when you "diet" you can never eat the foods you like again and that may be the hesitation, the thought of not being able to eat these foods. That was something that gave me pause before starting this journey but I realized that I can eat those foods, in moderation, and still be successful. I have lost almost 40 pounds and I still enjoy all the the things that I want without the guilt and still seeing great results. Goodluck!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I can definitely relate - it helps if you can find something you really love to do and add that to your life instead of eating. For me right now it's sitting outside identifying bird calls.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Boredom and emotional eating I totally get. Finding out what triggers it (logging your food, all of it, is a great way to determine some trouble times/foods) and developing ways to get around your personal "triggers" is really important. Exercise is not needed for weight loss, but I have found the emotional (and physical) benefits of lifting to be hugely motivating to keep me on track. It also gives me something to do to work out my emotions (I seriously love walking for this- it is so helpful when I am wrestling with something). Not saying you have to work out, it is just something that has helped me. Hobbies can be great for this too: journaling, painting, drawing, etc- anything that keeps my mind busy and happy.

Food wise, I also keep some foods out of the house (that I am not strong enough to resist, like candy) and have go-to foods I like that satisfy some of my cravings (seaweed chips, lots of fresh berries, Halo Top, white cheddar rice cakes). But honestly, finding out what types of food work to keep me full has helped cut down on cravings soo much (except Shark Week, but that's outside my control- thank goodness for Peanut Butter Cup Halo Top!).

You can do this- it is a process with trial and error but you will learn what about your personal needs and individual goals and you will build from there. Good luck!
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I was there a year ago when I quickly regained the weight that I'd lost. I loved coming home from work and getting wine and a pre-cooked dinner from the supermarket. First it was once a week, then twice a week, with ever increasing portion sizes of both food and wine.

I realized, finally, that I really didn't want to have to lose 100 pounds and if I kept it up that's what would happen. I bit the bullet and have, over the past 6-8 months, lost ten pounds. I have ten more to go. I'm doing it slowly, in an effort to avoid past mistakes and pitfalls of maintenance. I still get to eat some of my favorite foods, but in doing so, I'm losing only a pound and a half a month. And that's OK. It's better than gaining.....