Veganism

Options
Today is day 1 of trying out veganism. I'm mostly interested in this change for general health purposes. I would love to hear any tips tricks or advice that anyone has to successfully do this!

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    What general health areas are you hoping to improve?
    Have you planned your meals to get sufficient protein from a range of sources to make sure you get some of all the essential amino acids?
  • motiv8ed2motiv8
    motiv8ed2motiv8 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have high blood pressure and while it has gone down some by working out constantly it's still not enough and I do not want to be on b.p medication. I eat veggies now but not nearly enough so really I just wanna up my veggie and beans up and lower he dairy and meats. Dairy usually makes me feel very bloated and not great anyway so I figure this could all around make me feel better. I have been researching for a few weeks now but I don't personally know anyone who is vegan so I only know what I've read or seen online. I will be taking b-12 and iron and I have been able to get more protein in than I anticipated which is good.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    It's unlikely veganism on its own will reduce your BP. Generally getting to a healthy weight if not already is what does it. If it's hereditary then it may not be possible to bring it down enough.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Black. Bean. Burgers! Yum
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Google: DASH diet.
    It can help with blood pressure problems. Filled with potassium, calcium, and magnesium that can also help. Read a bit on it and you might pick up a bit or two of info that can help you.
    I would not touch iron supplements without getting a blood test first since they can be very harmful. A multivitamin should have all you need. And careful with buying vegan packaged foods at stores. Some of them look like chemical factories.
  • Rhumax67
    Rhumax67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    It can help with blood pressure problems. Filled with potassium, calcium, and magnesium that can also help. Read a bit on it and you might pick up a bit or two of info that can help you.
    I would not touch iron supplements without getting a blood test first since they can be very harmful. A multivitamin should have all you need. And careful with buying vegan packaged foods at stores. Some of them look like chemical factories.

This. Especially the iron part--supplements can be dangerous unless you are really deficient.

• dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

I was going to suggest this also.
    OP, do you have family members with high BP? It could be that the problem is partially heriditary, meaning that even a well controlled diet may not get you off the meds completely. I know the feeling...I'm in the same boat. I'd suggest the DASH diet before going vegan as DASH is designed for high BP and high cholesterol control.
  • OnthatStuff
    OnthatStuff Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    dmkoenig wrote: »
    Nutritionfacts.org is a site run by Dr. Michael Greger that has hundreds of 3-5 minute videos talking about the science behind veganism. He has a strong point of view about the benefits of veganism so to many he comes across as an extremist but he presents a powerful argument.

Nutritionfacts.org for the win! I found out about that site while watching a documentaries on Netflix this past weekend. Dr. Greger was interviewed on 2 of the 3.

I think I'm close to taking a similar path as well. Good luck with the change @motiv8ed2motiv8.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I think McGreggor is simply an animal rights activist disguised as a healthy guru. I don't want to steal this thread but I had to state this. Don't trust those internet doctors too much.
  • motiv8ed2motiv8
    motiv8ed2motiv8 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Maybe the dash is the way to go, thank you all for your insight!
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Ah, here is the link I wanted to post earlier (but couldn't from my phone):
    Information from the Mayo Clinic's website on the DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) Diet:
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/dash-diet/art-20048456
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Nutrition facts who notoriously aren't factual at all.

I'm glad you've found a way to move forward OP.
  • Lavelle1980
    Lavelle1980 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Today is day 1 of trying out veganism. I'm mostly interested in this change for general health purposes. I would love to hear any tips tricks or advice that anyone has to successfully do this!

You've made a great choice. My only advise is to maybe supplement with B12 or B complex vitamins. B12 is mostly found in animal products so this is something you'll be missing. Invest in some books such maybe by Dr. Neal Barnard is a great start.

Find a good support group. The challenge is not easy but it's worth it.
  • RhiRhi1984
    RhiRhi1984 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Agree. He's fantastic. You can follow him on FB. Also get on Pintrest and create a board. Start flipping over stuff and looking at labels. You can do it! You can add me if you like. I'm 4 days in and feeling great.
  • littlebabekitty
    littlebabekitty Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Great choice been vegan for almost a a year was able to lose 40 pounds already after giving birth, feeling great like a teen again. Blood work fantastic. No more acne and stomach problems. Add me i have open diary
  • Darrin100366
    Darrin100366 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have been on a Whole Food Plant Based journey for over 2 years and besides dropping over 40 lbs I 'm no longer on meds for a chronic back injury sustained 18 years ago!!

I no longer miss diary, fish or meat, and even my craving for bacon has dissipated

I recommend watching- "Forks over Knives", "Vegucated" as well as "What the Health" to give you an insight and few pointers.

As had been said before Nutritional facts.org is a good website, and also try You Tube for WFPB / Vegan shopping recipes.

The internet provides a global resource to assist you on your way.

I wish you well

Anyone please feel free to add me