20% protein?

Options
Hi,
I'm new to MFP.
I've been inputting all my food into the food diary and can never get the balance that's recommended.
It says 50% carbs 30% fat and 20% protein. At the end of the day mine is usually about 40% carbs 15% fat and 45% protein. My protein is always higher than carbs and fat.
Does anybody know how much of a problem this is?
I go to the gym about 4/5 times a week if this helps?

Thanks!

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Treat protein as a minimum and if you love your protein, no big deal.

If you are trying to gain, calories are king.

If you are trying to lose, calories are king.
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    from my research, i have found that high fat combined with high carbs can cause health issues (over a very long time period, such as donuts/pastries every meal) but i haven't found any negative information on high protein. i think everyone has different macros depending on their goals. HTH :smile:
  • dottiedj
    dottiedj Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Not a problem at all. The recommended percentages are only a guideline set by who-knows. Some people swear that a higher protein diet is better. Other people swear that it's best to have more carbs (complex carbs, anyway.) Your body will convert anything you eat into energy...it just does it in different ways fro different types of foods.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Not a problem, but if you're getting most of your protein from supplements, it could mean that you don't need them. I would be more concerned about the seemingly very very low fat intake.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Fat looks very low which may cause you problems as you need fat to absorb some vitamins.
  • LeighMcG90
    LeighMcG90 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Not a problem, but if you're getting most of your protein from supplements, it could mean that you don't need them. I would be more concerned about the seemingly very very low fat intake.
    Fat looks very low which may cause you problems as you need fat to absorb some vitamins.

Thanks for you replies!

I don't take any supplements, my diet is mainly protein because I eat a lot of chicken, tuna, eggs etc. It's not deliberate, they're just things I usually go for as part of a meal.

I'll try and up my fat content. Again, it's not something I do on purpose. I have just been eating as I normally would for a couple of days to see what my chart would look like. Yesterday I had about 20% fats, my main meals were mainly carb and protein and my snacks were things like fruit and sushi.

Do you have any recommended foods I can go for to try and reach my fat intake?
  • LeighMcG90
    Options
    Would you recommend more dairy as a source of fat? Yesterday my highest sources of fat were a yogurt and some cheese.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter
  • LeighMcG90
    Options
    Peanut butter

Thanks! That's good actually, I love peanut butter.
  • EmilyFlodine
    EmilyFlodine Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    for higher healthy fats use more avocado, oily fish and olive oil, small servings of nuts.
  • EmilyFlodine
    EmilyFlodine Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Also, i adjusted my macros to 40% protein as this helps with fat loss so i wouldn't worry about your protein levels as you are already choosing healthy protein sources.
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    LeighMcG90 wrote: »
    Would you recommend more dairy as a source of fat? Yesterday my highest sources of fat were a yogurt and some cheese.

I use kerrygold unsalted as a fat to cook with. I really like it.
  • Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    LeighMcG90 wrote: »

One of my favorite ways to get some more fat is with pizza.