Take a look at my new gym routine. Advice is appreciated!

Options
jglhklhgl
jglhklhgl Posts: 41 Member
I've been following a program for the past month in a half. It involves weights usually compound movements using light weight for high reps. I guess it's more endurance than muscle building. I really want to build more muscle but I feel what I have is all I'm going to get with my program. I've attached a routine and I would love some feedback. If there are better substitutions for some of the exercises please feel free to share. I'm at a healthy weight but I do have some extra fat around the tummy with some lose skin. I plan on doing these workouts three days out of the week with one active rest day and the other days of hiit cardio. Before my gym sessions I will do 10 minutes on a bike and after I will do 20 to 30 minutes of walking and jogging. Does this seem like a good plan? Or do I need some changes or modifications?vhfmn27tndg6.jpg

Replies

• tomwasilj3w
    tomwasilj3w Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    For the most part, this routine seems more directed towards muscle growth then endurance or fat burning. I'm no expert, I just know what works for me. That being said I would stick with this routine for now, just switch up the order of the exercises per day to confuse the muscles. They get used to what you throw at the over time. With these amount of reps per set just make sure you're going to failure. Meaning by the time you hit say the 15th rep, you should barely be able to do it.

Other than the workout, make sure your eatting properly. Being in the proper calorie intake range for your goals in important but you should also be getting the proper amount of macro nutrients, especially protein when it comes to building and repairing muscle.

Best of luck to you
  • jglhklhgl
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Personally as a beginner, I think a full-body workout 3x a week would make more sense instead of working each bodypart once per week. Think more of a Stronglifts program.

This. So much better to do full body 3x week.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options

Other than the workout, make sure your eatting properly. Being in the proper calorie intake range for your goals in important but you should also be getting the proper amount of macro nutrients, especially protein when it comes to building and repairing muscle.

Best of luck to you
    Personally as a beginner, I think a full-body workout 3x a week would make more sense instead of working each bodypart once per week. Think more of a Stronglifts program.

+1
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
  • liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    I'd defintely up the sets to 5-8 sets.
  • bethany_rose8
    bethany_rose8 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    The program is fairly "balanced" but missing glute work and there's Too many exercises. I would recommend something more along the lines of:

Lower Body:
    A1: Heavy Goblet Squats 4x8
    A2: Bodyweight Back Extensions 4x12
    B1: High Step Ups or Low/Mod DB Step Ups 4x8 each leg
    B2: Lying Leg Curls 4x12
    C1: Seated Lever Calf Raises 4x12

Upper Body Push:
    A1: DB Incline Press 4x8
    A2: Assisted Bar Dips 4x8-10
    B1: DB Upright Rows 4x8
    B2: DB Lateral Raise 4x12
    C1: Planks 2xAs Long As Possible

Upper Body Pull:
    A1: Assisted Chin Up Machine (Underhand Grip) 4x8
    A2: Seated Underhand Rows 4x12
    B1: DB Pullovers 4x8
    B2: Swiss Ball Crunches 4x12-15

• bethany_rose8
    bethany_rose8 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    tjkita wrote: »

More sets are good for heavy compound movements. Not for a Training split like this.
  • psuLemon
    Options

More sets are good for heavy compound movements. Not for a Training split like this.

And these training splits are terrible and highly inefficient for 99% of people. They lack frequency which will limit strength gains. At best, they are good for general exercise.
  • Muscle_for_Fitness
    Muscle_for_Fitness Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options

Training splits are much more for advanced bodybuilders that are trying to build each body part individually (with help a lot of times). Compound movements are so much more effective for building an overall strong physique.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP - that workout appear to be lacking in barbell squats, deadlifts, and barbell bench press and other compound movements, unless I am missing them?

I would suggest a good beginner full body program like strong lifts or all pro beginner...
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP - that workout appear to be lacking in barbell squats, deadlifts, and barbell bench press and other compound movements, unless I am missing them?

I would suggest a good beginner full body program like strong lifts or all pro beginner...

Oh yes, because without those three a program is incomplete.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Oh yes, because without those three a program is incomplete.

glad we agree.
  • taylormoooon
    taylormoooon Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

This. So much better to do full body 3x week.

Agree. I've seen really great results with 5x5 stronglifts as a beginner and my workouts are short and effective.
  • jglhklhgl
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • joeybrid
    joeybrid Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Random rep #s ... just do everything for 15-20 reps and 3 sets, do bench, DL and squats for 8-10 reps 3 sets.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would design a plan that was full body and more compound than isolation lifts.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jglhklhgl
    Options
    You guys make a good point. I see the flaws in the routine now that y'all pointed them out. I'm going to find a full body workout to do 3-4 days out of the week. And keep it in 3 sets 8-12 reps range. Thanks for the feedback I really appreciate it! ☺️
  • psuLemon
    Options
    jglhklhgl wrote: »
    You guys make a good point. I see the flaws in the routine now that y'all pointed them out. I'm going to find a full body workout to do 3-4 days out of the week. And keep it in 3 sets 8-12 reps range. Thanks for the feedback I really appreciate it! ☺️

Look at the link I posted above. It has a lot of routines that are already proven effective.