Numerous knee surgeries

Options
i was wondering about Insanity and some of the other workout programs they are knee friendly? Can you modify the knee portions? I have had 4 knee surgeries and it is hard to do some moves. Mainly I struggle the most with energy. I am overweight and carry the most in my stomach, hips, and legs. Any advice?

Replies

• akunce
    akunce Posts: 29
    Options
    Talk to your doctor or physical therapist! Best not to chance a fifth!
  • glenbabe
    glenbabe Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    i am similar 2 partial knee replacements right and left lol.Dont try to push your knees plain old walking to begin with or swimming is great for us as the weght comes off your energy levels will increase because you will be carrying a smaller load hope this helps a bit
  • woofers1803
    Options
    Had 2 knee surgeries myself. I understand the pain. Walking and biking are relatively easy on mine, and the elliptical at the gym seems to work ok now that I'm used to it. Don't bother with running yet. You're going to want to work your way up to that. Maybe try some of the workout DVD's that don't have a lot of squats and lunges in them? My mom has some walking DVD workout things that seem to be pretty easy on her knees. Maybe check out the Biggest Loser DVD's. I know one of the walking ones was from them. I've been doing Power 90 and just doing what I can of the knee intense parts and jogging on the side now and seem to be doing ok, but I've lost 45lbs since my surgery (joined MFP about half way through) and have been working out daily since the last one and that's the only way I have gotten to where I can jog/run at all. Good luck! A lot of it is trial and error unfortunately. If it hurts, don't do it! That was the best advice my physical therapist gave me this time. Seems to be working to pick workouts on what is painful at the time and what is not.
  • libtech50
    libtech50 Posts: 26
    Options
    I just had a knee surgery at the end of June. I really enjoy the exercises geared to getting my knee in shape after the surgery. How ever I want to calculate calories being burned. Any ideas. I do my exercise in the morning everyday even when therapist isn't there. However, in the afternoon I do my standing and sitting exercises in the pool.
  • kaaatielove
    kaaatielove Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I had a total knee reconstruction in 2008 following a motorcycle crash.. i've always had pain while exercising, you just have to know your limits & make sure you ice it & keep it elevated after if it gets too swollen/ painful. I havent tried insanity or any of the other hardcore work out videos.. i've been doing Jillian Michaels 30 days shred & its not bad on the knee, it also isnt as tough as the other routines im sure.. Ive just started running again, starting the c25k.. i just dont go over my limit. i havent had a problem as of yet (knock on wood) but if i do, i know to find some sort of support & decrease my intensity. goodluck to you.
    & a knee brace (elastic ace) would probably be a good investment to support it a little while working out. :)
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    Katie has some awesome points. Just to reiterate, make sure you practice RICE (Rest, ice, compression, elevation). I've had two major knee surgeries already, and always ice my knee after every workout, regardless if it hurts. If it does hurt, take a rest day or two to not put more strain on your knee.

I've used multiple braces over the past few years, and I've found the Cho-pat brand is the absolute best. It offers great support while still letting your leg breathe.