Loosing weight but noticing extra access fat?

I have had this app opened sense February, but never really stuck to it. Just today i re-opened this app and am determined to use it! I never knew this app had this group Discussion and its pretty awesome!! So i thought id try it. My starting weight was 252 lbs February 3 today i am 212.6lbs yet am noticing alot of access fat and belly fat i thought would go away. It is depressing sense i feel like i still look the same compared to others opinions. I really want to loose my stomach fat/ Belly fat just dont know what to do anymore anyone please help?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    Well done on losing weight.

It could be loose skin, rather than fat, particularly if you lost weight very quickly (40lbs in 4 months is quite a lot). Try not to compare yourself to others, everyone loses in different ways and the areas we lose fat from are largely governed by genetics.

Try setting yourself to 1lb per week weight loss, increase your protein intake and take up some form of strength training to minimise muscle loss. When you lose weight at a fast rate like you have, you will have most likely lost a lot of muscle along with the fat.

• Mexiibabii
    Mexiibabii Posts: 9 Member
    Thank you so much! And yes your right that is something I have i compare myself to others alot. When i was bigger i was really happy now that im loosing weight im feeling more uncomfortable on how things fit or the way i look and it should be the opposite you would think?

For increasing protien and all that is there anything you would recommend? I really dont know what to eat or how to increase my protein and for work outs i get really stuck on what to do i feel like when i go to the gym i just do cardio and little weights sometimes i dont even know what to start on haha
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    We are our own worst critics! You look great!

You have accomplished a lot, and you reap the rewards every time you take a walk, ride a bike, climb stairs, or do just about anything active. Every 5lb loss has a huge payoff for your active life and health.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,481 Member
    If you're not on a decent resistance training program, then as you lose weight you'll just resemble a "smaller" version of yourself. You CAN'T change your shape, but you CAN enhance the muscles underneath creating a vision of a leaner look. All in all you'll have to get down to about 25% body fat to see and assess what you want to do when you reach it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    Mexiibabii wrote: »
    Thank you so much! And yes your right that is something I have i compare myself to others alot. When i was bigger i was really happy now that im loosing weight im feeling more uncomfortable on how things fit or the way i look and it should be the opposite you would think?

For increasing protien and all that is there anything you would recommend? I really dont know what to eat or how to increase my protein and for work outs i get really stuck on what to do i feel like when i go to the gym i just do cardio and little weights sometimes i dont even know what to start on haha

Just aim to get the minimum amounts recommended by MFP to start with, some protein rich foods include:

Chicken
    Turkey
    Lean Beef
    Salmon
    Tuna
    Eggs
    Almonds (and other nuts/seeds)
    Cottage Cheese
    Greek Yoghurt
    Broccoli

You can of course also supplement with protein shakes or bars if you are struggling but there are plenty of foods that are a good source.

In terms of workouts you can do bodyweight exercises, resistance bands/tubes or progressive lifting programs. Try looking at some beginners strength training workouts on youtube, I am particularly fond of HASFIT. Cardio is great for calorie burns and overall health.

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Go to the mall and go get one of those Spanx. Or if money is an issue, get a cheap corsage or tummy wrap at walmart. Then go home and put on a tighter fitting shirt and look in that mirrior!! No one has to know.
  • wesley58
    wesley58 Posts: 129 Member
    Yes, you do look great, Keep up the good work, and your body will reward you eventually. Weight loss takes time, and rewards sometimes seem small, but you will get there.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Seriously, it's a common occurrence to experience a feeling of dislike when it comes to the body changes. I've actually written blogs and done at least one vlog about the fact that "experts" do not typically discuss the fact that you go in waves of appreciating the body changes and waves of wishing you hadn't changed because you felt more attractive/happier/confident/whatever when you were a bigger person. If people were honest about it more, I think you'd see that a lot more people than you might guess are experiencing similar feelings of disappointment.

Depending on your height, your weight is still fairly high and therefore you're not going to look "skinny" right away. The fat will burn off but the skin will look looser, flabbier, baggier than before, which oftentimes makes us feel less attractive. The question really has to become, are you better now than you were 4 months ago? Compare only to your former self, not anyone else... No one else is living with your body or your life. If your answer to the question of "are you better than yesterday?" is yes, then you are succeeding, no matter what you look like naked.

This isn't about immediacy of appearance change, but about the longevity of results. High protein diets and strength training will help but sometimes you also simply need to have patience. The amount of weight lost in 4 months is perfectly reasonable, averaging just over 2lbs/week, which is not "a lot" for 4 months if you are significantly overweight for your body type... It's right where you need to be. However, you still carry weight, which is going to drag on the loose skin, and the only thing that will really address both the weight and the appearance is TIME and PATIENCE.

Believe me, I'm not speaking out my butt, I've lost 225lbs so far and I have gone through phases of being really "floppy" and then tightening up and thinking I look fat again, then loose, then tight. It happens over and over, and is totally normal.
  • Themaanya
    Themaanya Posts: 17 Member
    What niner said above. Whenever all I'm doing is losing weight I tend to do just look like a smaller version of what I looked like previously. My whole body stays in the same proportions...just shrinks.

It's the strength training that shapes you.
  • Mexiibabii
    Mexiibabii Posts: 9 Member
    @Quasita i love what you just said!!! Shoot me a message i can get advice from there. I tottally agree with the last part there are days where i just feel heavier than others or look heavier and i hate it
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    @Mexiibabii You're more than welcome to reach out to me anytime, and I'll try my best to respond. I also have a page tracking my current progress on FB and a channel on YT. Nowadays, I'm focusing more on what it's like to live after having weight loss surgery... I lost about 115lbs before surgery, and the rest after... but I try to be really open and honest. If you want to find me, look up Chubbalicious ;) Otherwise, I'm here on MFP if you need.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    I wonder if insurance could pay for a tummy tuck. If she loses a 100 lbs, that could be a lot of extra skin. Just curious.