Thin, medium, or thick running socks?

Options
I am relatively new to running. I have good fitted running shoes and I am trying to decide what sort of socks are best for me. Other than trying different socks out to find out what works best, are there any other considerations that I should be aware of? Any name brands better than others?

I run in fair weather too...no rain/wet feet for me.

Replies

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I love the hell out of my Balega hidden comfort. They're thick as hell and feel like a hug for my feet. They've held up really well too.

I also accidentally got my marathoner sister in law hooked on them by asking for some for Christmas. I can't remember what she was running in before, but she switched to all Balegas for her long runs.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Re: wet feet - if you run hard, your feet will sweat unless you don't have sweat glands on the soles of your feet. Some people don't. If that's not you, still consider wetness when picking socks.

I like Balegas, but I like my toe socks more for blister prevention. I use Injinji. I will also mention that their Nuwool socks are excellent for not getting hot spots and feeling drier. I would prefer them to the Coolmax versions except they only come in men's, not the slightly more snug women's version they sell in Coolmax. The men's are too long in the toe and too big in the arch and ball of my foot. Makes them wrinkle a bit in the shoe which is not comfortable.
  • fitin50s2
    fitin50s2 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    I love the hell out of my Balega hidden comfort. They're thick as hell and feel like a hug for my feet. They've held up really well too.

My favorites as well. Only sock I wear when it's not freezing cold.

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I believe it will be a matter of trying ones out to decide for yourself. Just stay away from cotton.

Personally I like the light-weight Feetures and hate Balegas because of how thick they are. But as seen, Balegas are quite popular. So test a few out and see what you like best.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Also love Balega, though I prefer the ultralights to the hidden comfort. They're super thin. I have very wide feet and don't want to add even more bulk inside my shoe!

Edit: please just don't wear regular cotton socks, as the poster above mentioned. I had SO many blisters until I figured this out! Your local running store will have a huge selection of socks.
  • EHollander89
    EHollander89 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I agree with the Balega hidden comfort comments. They are my favorite!. I also have a few Under Armour pairs that are great. I think they are definitely worth the investment.
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Drymax max HD will keep your feet dry and blister free. I tried them and Balega and drymax was far better for me.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Medium weight new balance or ASICS socks that come 3 or 4 for $15 or so.
    I have decades of running callouses too so YMMV
  • Spartan_Gingi
    Spartan_Gingi Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    And here I am running without socks...
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you like. I prefer thin running socks as thick ones a) make my shoes just a tiny bit smaller while they'd otherwise fit perfectly for running and b) my feet seem to be a bit more unstable on thick socks, and there's more movement on the sole of my feet, hence more friction and a bigger change of blisters. But that's my feet. Everyone's different.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Thanks all...heading to the store at lunch today
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Look for wicking socks. I love socks made with merino wool too. Try Mountain Equipment Coop or Mark's Work Wearhouse.

I have sometimes found better socks in the men's section. Sports wear for women can still be so clueless. I've found sports socks in the women's section that come in pink (you know, in support of breast cancer) but have no wicking properties.
  • kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Feetures elite ultra lights for me.
  • Valsgoals
    Valsgoals Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I prefer Feetures too. I like the thinner socks because they don't make my shoes feel different and don't make my feet feel so hot. I would only opt for thicker socks if I were running outside in very cold weather.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Thanks all - I ended up buying the Balega brand socks. A couple of runs later, I couldn't be happier and I think my search is over. Thanks for your input.
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Wright socks is my favorite..tho, I have used Russell and Starter from Wal Mart, Champion, Features, Swiftwick, Ballega , Champion and a lot of others..once did a 12 hr ultra in a pair of those wal mart socks..but Wright socks are very good...and I also use a pair of their trail socks to hike..Swiftwick has good hiking socks ...I only go a bit thicker when hiking
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I bought a couple of pair of Balegas this past weekend at the Peachtree Road Race expo. I got Ultra Lights and Enduro. Really like the Enduro.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I bought a couple of pair of Balegas this past weekend at the Peachtree Road Race expo. I got Ultra Lights and Enduro. Really like the Enduro.

The Enduro is my new favorite sock. I currently own only one pair but I plan to remedy that this weekend. :)
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I am relatively new to running. I have good fitted running shoes and I am trying to decide what sort of socks are best for me. Other than trying different socks out to find out what works best, are there any other considerations that I should be aware of? Any name brands better than others?

I run in fair weather too...no rain/wet feet for me.

I find that typically either the thin socks will make shoes feel too loose or thick socks will make them feel too tight. Your personal preference will likely come down to how your particular shoes fit your particular feet.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I like tabbed ankle socks - and usually buy Asics because they are the cheapest (decent) ones in my size range.. usually ~$10ish/3pk on amazon.