shouldn't we help? not hinder?

Options
okay i work at mcdonalds 5 am to 1 pm. and b/c of reasons i wont go into, i can't bring food to work from home.

now MFP is supposed to be full of people that are here to help us, so why do some people feel the need to put you down?

i got a comment under my food diary: "do you typically eat out at fast foods or? though you're under your intake, fast foods aren't good calories in general, nor provide good nutrition."

really?

I EAT OAT MEAL AND A SIDE SALAD WITH GRILLED CHICKEN!!!

how does that not provide nutrition? granted, i eat it with a mix of ranch and southwest dressing but that's b/c the other dressings makes me sick if i eat them too much. still, it's not like i'm eating a big mac or dq with cheese.....

if you see something wrong with how i eat, you can say something like: "i see you're eating mcdonalds, and even tho it's a salad maybe you should cut back on how much dressing you use"

THAT i can understand. but really? telling me that my salad has no nutrition b/c it's from mcdonalds, when all you've eaten is 4 oreo's and a pack of nuts???

GROW UP! if you want to bring someone down b/c you feel sorry for yourself, you can go somewhere else b/c this ISNT the place for it...

/end rant ^_^

Replies

• yankeefamily05
    Options
    I enjoy Mcdonalds Fruit and Yogurt Parfaits! YUMMY!!!!!!!

At least you are eating the healthiest options!
  • Crooks0204
    Crooks0204 Posts: 189
    Options
    agreed!!
  • maureendonahue
    maureendonahue Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I hope you feel better! People should not be putting you down, period. They don't know your situation. I think that you are making good choices (better than I would have!) when you eat the oatmeal and salads. And you have been successful so far, so don't let them get to you. Continue to make good choices, get in your exercise and you will do great!
  • CaptainMommy1
    Options
    I think you make a great case for people being able to eat out and still eat well. It's all about choices!! You could eat a Big Mac, but you are making the choice NOT to!! I think you should be very proud of yourself!!!
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I am sorry that you have had these experiences. I have found a great group of folks that give me helpful advice...

You can limit your diary to your friends and if you have someone who isn't helpful then cut'em loose.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Dang you make good choices at mcdonald's thats hard to do. 4 oreos and a pack of nuts HAHA i was rolling when I saw that.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Well, if they're on your friends list, and if they're not helping you, as you feel they're not, cut them out. You always have that option. Or simply ignore and go about your day.
  • Dabbles
    Dabbles Posts: 367
    Options
    Totally agree. You're doing the best you can with what you have to work with. Good for you.

On the other hand, now you made me want Oreos!
  • Kelly4877
    Kelly4877 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Ugh! Try your best to ignore them. They are probably miserable people :)
  • Sherry1979
    Sherry1979 Posts: 457
    Options
    I ended up having to make my food diary private for that very reason. . and eventually deleted most of the ones who couldn't just give support but felt like they had to pick my efforts apart. So now even though most of my friends I don't think would make any of those comments I just leave my diary private to keep it from happening again. If it's working for you just try to ignore their comments.
  • mjmoore8480
    Options
    I agree with you, and thats why I dont have my food journal available for public viewing. What I eat and how much is nobody's business but my own. However, if you have it available for viewing, some people are going to comment on what and how much you eat. You might want to consider switching your settings so that only friends can view or so that it is entirely private. :smile:
  • skinnymeinaz
    skinnymeinaz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    It really is sad that people feel they have to do this. Personally if I ate out all day and made good choices,
    I don't think I would care what people said. You are doing this for you and not anyone else!!!! So if you know you are doing well just keep it up :)
    Have an awesome day!
  • GenerationD05
    Options
    Even though I joined on Monday, I know what you mean by negative comments. And you made a health conscious decision by having a salad. I haven't been to McDonalds for over a year because it's not my favorite place in the world, but for people who go there regularly, I'm sure they're tempted by all the bad food there is. And yes, the point of this website is to motivate and give inspiring advice/comments. Maybe in their POV, they thought that was good advice, but I agree with you... it could have been said differently.

I hope you feel better after venting! It's always nice to get it out haha.
  • jwerman
    jwerman Posts: 176
    Options
    AMEN!! It sounds like you are doing what you can, with what you have...isn't that truly what a lifestyle change is all about?? I mean if you are going to do this for the rest of your life you have to be able to make choices EVERYWHERE!!! I applaud you and wish you all the best. :)
    P.S. If the haters get too bad, block them or delete them!
  • Whomshubby
    Options
    That's too bad they won't let you bring your own lunch. Even if you keep it in the cooler in your car? Sheesh!
    I have a gym trainer friend that has told me when I am in a rush and I have to stop at McD to get the grilled chicken with no mayo. Tried it, loved it! Good luck to you!! I wouldn't have enough self-control to not pig out on the fries all day.

We never know someone else's circumstances that lead us to eat as we do.
  • WhomII
    WhomII Posts: 24
    Options
    Eh heh....the post from Whomshubby was from me.....Guess I better get on my own account before I post. Oops
  • dez_yaoichan
    dez_yaoichan Posts: 454
    Options
    thank you all so much! it just really bothered me that someone would be like that over a salad... just needed to get it out there before it made me crazy, lol.

i like to keep my diary open, that way someone can tell me if i need to cut back on something ( i know i need to cut back on dressings but i'm working my way to it, lol, i used to have 3 for a small salad!) or if they want ideas.

but, oh well, some pople just dont have enough love in their lives, lol.

if any of you want to add me as a friend, i support daily!
  • MissMarthaGrace
    MissMarthaGrace Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Kudos to you girl! To work there and not be allowed to bring your own food - your making great choices! The only difference between eating oatmeal & a salad at McDs or oatmeal & salad at your house [or anywhere else for that matter] is LOCATION! Don't let those peoples' comments get you down - there are plenty of others out there that are happy to offer you whatever support you need! Chin up! :)
  • laureneva15
    laureneva15 Posts: 280
    Options
    Honestly (and I know you are talking about a salad) but I see nothing wrong with a little indulgence here and there. Especially cos it can help one not binge eat on the stuff.
    I see something wrong with eating less than 1200 cos that's just dangerous and silly (unless directed by a doctor)
    There are a lot of helpful and supportive people on this site, but then you have your handful of bring-me-downs. Which is wrong cos we're all here for support and motivation and guidance.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    deadhorse.gif

It's unfortunate, but people are mean. I've never understood criticizing people who aren't asking for it. Do what you do, to get to where you need to get, and damn anybody who says you can't!