Need Help: Am I trying to cut, bulk, or maintain?

Options
You'd think it would be obvious, but this is the first time I'm really trying to figure out the best strategy to get the body I want.
I've got just a bit too much fat to show any real muscle definition if I have any. But I also want to add muscle.

I'm at a BMI of about 24, female, and all around moderately in shape.

I can't figure out if that means I should eat under my maintainance level to cut the fat, over it to gain the muscle, or eat at maintainance to do both? Can you gain muscle while eating under, if you boost the protein ratio?

(I also have a general exercise routine with some days focusing more on cardio, some on strength, though I mix it up with both a bit. I also use natural body weight/not weight machines, for strength.)

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

For recomp or bulk - you'll actually have to overload the muscles so the body feels the need to add more.
    With enough frequency to matter, so it would need to be focus over cardio.

Eventually body weight won't be enough, but until that time you can attempt many 1 legged things to work those biggest muscles.

BMI isn't a useful measure for an individual - it was designed for population statics.

Bulking is only useful if bodyfat is low enough - above topic gets into that.
  • Tzimply_done
    Tzimply_done Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

Bulking is only useful if bodyfat is low enough - above topic gets into that.

Thank you, firstly. Secondly, I don't think(?) my bodyfat is low enough for a bulk, but I wasn't sure recomp would quite fit what I want to accomplish. It might be healthier for me to be at a lower weight, even with more muscle. Recomp seems to be trying to maintain bodyweight, and I don't think that's what I need?
    (I do plan on switching to machines later, but if prefer to start without)
  • heybales
    Options
    A small deficit will still give preference to building muscle as best your body can. Eventually that won't be possible, and it'll be about maintaining what you got.
    Compared to a steep deficit - and losing some muscle mass.
  • Tzimply_done
    Options
    So would it make sense to have my settings on the loosing weight recommended options, (for now)?
    - what counts as a slight vs steep deficit?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What are your actual stats?
  • heybales
    Options
    250 cal deficit is smallest you can get. That's reasonable up to 15 lbs to lose.

15-30 could handle 500 cal decently.
  • Tzimply_done
    Options
    What are your actual stats?

Really new here: which stats are you asking for? There's a lot of information, not sure what's really important
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    They're probably asking for height, weight, age, sex.
  • Tzimply_done
    Options
    @thewindandthework Thanks
    - I'm 23, female, 5'4", ~ 128lbs
  • danika2point0
    danika2point0 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Just FYI with those stats, your BMI is closer to 22 (within normal range) than 24 (within normal range, but nearly overweight).
  • sak20011
    sak20011 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I was going to say we were similar and I had the same concerns, but in fact your BMI is lower.

I'm 5'1.5" (depending on the day :) and 123#. I have fat to lose and muscle to gain. Because I am trying to build up basic strength compromised by a couple knee surgeries, I'm focused on a very modest fat loss now--a couple pounds or so--and then I plan to see if I can add some muscle while eating at maintenance. I doubt I'll be doing the serious training that would require eating over maintenance (but you never know...)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    @thewindandthework Thanks
    - I'm 23, female, 5'4", ~ 128lbs

You'll want to look at recomp
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Recomp with a slight deficit. Lift heavy. Eat protein. Patience.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, you're right in the gray area really. I'm your exact same stats (except age, by a long ways lol). It really depends on your build and your personal preference if you want to lose a few more lbs or not. I have a small build and still look and feel a little more fluffy at 127-132 than I'm comfortable with.

What I did was ate at maintenance over the winter (when I'm more likely to crave heavy foods, plus all the holiday stuff) and then switched to a 250 cal deficit once the whether warmed up and I naturally eat a little lighter. I'm hoping to get my range to 122-127ish. I'll stay at the small deficit until it gets cold again and decide how to proceed from there.

Regardless of whether you decide on maintenance or a small deficit, this is the rest:
    sllm1 wrote: »
    Recomp with a slight deficit. Lift heavy. Eat protein. Patience.