Do you annoy people at the store?

Options
nlwrfa
nlwrfa Posts: 118 Member
Today the big slabs of salmon were $5.00 a pound. Really really good price as most of the times it's $8.00. So I had the butcher behind the counter cut up the slab in 5oz pieces which took a few minutes as the slab I chose was just over 4.5 lbs. He seemed to be annoyed with the request but there was no one near, approaching or waiting at the counter the whole time leading up to me being there, while I was there and after I left. Do you annoy people for a better deal? u4dzdipaa2dy.jpg

Replies

• AFGP11
    AFGP11 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    You did nothing wrong. They just sound miserable at their job. If you were cutting it into a million one oz pieces or something I could maybe understand some annoyance from the clerk (but not really, because what do they care?) but you literally asked them to do what they are standing there waiting to do.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    You are fine - that's a really easy request for them. The meat department I usually use is awesome at customer service. When chuck goes on sale I have them grind it for me (course for chili, fine for ground beef). I also ask them to cut meat if I don't like what's in the case. Never once gotten the impression they were annoyed at the requests.
  • cogirljb
    cogirljb Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    everher wrote: »
    This may be mean, but I don't have empathy for people who are annoyed because they have to do their job.

Completely agree with this, this is his job!!!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    I agree sort of.

How does he figure out a 5 ounce piece to be cut? I mean, I can see eyeballing it and getting close-ish, but did you go ahead and take the pieces that were 6 ounces or 4.2? Because there aren't many people who would buy the tiny leftovers and that would mean the fish was thrown out, and no one is that good that they can cut it into perfect 5 ounce pieces every time.
  • nlwrfa
    nlwrfa Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I agree sort of.

How does he figure out a 5 ounce piece to be cut? I mean, I can see eyeballing it and getting close-ish, but did you go ahead and take the pieces that were 6 ounces or 4.2? Because there aren't many people who would buy the tiny leftovers and that would mean the fish was thrown out, and no one is that good that they can cut it into perfect 5 ounce pieces every time.

Yea I took everything. I just asked if he could get it around the 5 oz mark and it didn't have to be exact.. which he eye balled it all and got pretty darn close! Was impressive. And I had to buy the whole slab cause that's what the sale was so scraps or not they were mine to be paid for. I asked if it was something they do before even asking him to cut it into the request because honestly I didn't know. I'm new to this healthy food stuff as of 3 weeks ago so I'm still learning and I didn't want to be rude if it wasn't something they did.

I work in customer service and I'm never rude to those in the customer service business no matter what it is because I know most days it can suck. It was just a deal too good to pass up because now i have my two salmon dinners a week for the next two months ish. The little pre packaged ones were $7 for a 3 oz piece. Theres no way I'd pay that when I can get a better deal on the butcher slab.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Everyone is right, it is his job. Saying that, i always feel guilty when i ask shop keepers to do anything for me, i say thank you and sorry 50 times, because i feel like i'm being a pain in the butt making them do more work than they would have done had i not come in.

You are Australian, yes? I thought only Canadians apologized profusely and unnecessarily. All youse guys are too nice. :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Everyone is right, it is his job. Saying that, i always feel guilty when i ask shop keepers to do anything for me, i say thank you and sorry 50 times, because i feel like i'm being a pain in the butt making them do more work than they would have done had i not come in.

You are Australian, yes? I thought only Canadians apologized profusely and unnecessarily. All youse guys are too nice. :)

Haha, yes Australian.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    Maybe he just didn't like the possibility of having his photo taken? Did you take other photos?