Fat requirement

Options
crysike
crysike Posts: 8 Member
How important is it to meet your fat intake when counting macros? Im usually under by 20g.

Replies

• Vive68
    Vive68 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Following......I've been searching the same question for the last 1/2 hour, and you popped up!!!!
  • crysike
    Options
    Awesome! Lol if you find out anything please let me know! :D
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    You don't need to reach all your macros daily. I never do. I just try to get at least 46 grams of protein a day.
    I have enough problems reaching my fiber, sugar, sodium, etc.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Fat is important for satiety, hormonal function, brain function, and in the bathroom department.

I'd work on getting that fat up- you can get there and soon it will be no trouble at all.
  • LeighMcG90
    LeighMcG90 Posts: 16 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I asked about macros in a post yesterday because I eat mainly protein and usually have very little fat content in my food diary. I was told that fats are important to absorb vitamins from the food you are eating and that it's beneficial to try and increase fat consumption slightly if you can. Peanut butter and oily fish etc were recommended to me, which is good because you can have a good amount of fat without going overboard. :)
  • Luna3386
    Options
    The point of macros is reaching as close as possible because each macro plays an important role. I recommend 40/30/30, or .8-1g of protein per body weight and sort out your carbs and fat from there.
  • Luna3386
    Options
    You don't need to reach all your macros daily. I never do. I just try to get at least 46 grams of protein a day.
    I have enough problems reaching my fiber, sugar, sodium, etc.

I highly recommend more protein.
  • MJ2victory
    MJ2victory Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    guacamole and veggies is the best snack for getting some healthy fat in! I buy the little pre-made snack size ones that run 70-100 calories each! A really good snack! Also think about ways to add olive oil to things like toast, popcorn, etc.
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Fat is my least important macro so I don't care whether I'm over or under my target but if I'm under and if I have the calorie space for some cheese (i.e. BabyBel cheese-White Cheddar "flavor" is my favorite), I'll add one or two to one of my meals that is kind of on the small size that day to help me feel full longer, especially if my fats are a bit on the low side for that meal that day. I mostly try to hit my calorie target (about 2000 calories/day) and my carb target (about 150 grams/day) & my protein target (also about 150 grams/day) & kind of let the fats (about 89 grams) just end up where they do once I hit the other targets. I'm pretty close on all my targets each day but I'm most strict with my carb target (about 150 grams/day) since I'm diabetic (type2) which helps normalize my meal-time insulin injections & helps to keep my blood glucose stable throughout the day.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    The amount needed for vitamin absorption and hormone function isn't really that high, so I wouldn't worry.

If you're not sated by fat (not all people are, I'm certainly not) don't worry about being under.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
  • crysike
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will add good oils into my diet!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options