Fat Carb and Protein ratio

Options
I am a new runner needing advice on my diet. The more i run the more i need to adjust my diet. Ive lost 95 pounds and now running 4 miles increasing to 10k by Aug. As a runner what should my nutrition goals be % wise to make it easy. Please leave comments any help well appreciated

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss! That's really impressive. You must have a lot of good advice to give.

You will get lots of opinions on your question, but as a mid-fifties male who exercises (swim/ride/run, etc.), I have settled on 25-30% protein and 25-40% carb, the rest being high-quality fats (30-50%). The thing I think about is the fat/carb ratio. On days where I exercise, I eat a bit more more carbs. On rest days, I eat more fats. I keep the protein fairly constant. Protein is essential, but it is a terrible energy source and there's not much point in over-eating it in my opinion.

Best of luck to you!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I aim more for specific amounts, then % because I carb cycle

protein is approx. 1.2g per goal LMM (I find I need more protein to satiate me) - normal recommendation is .8-1g
    fat - .4-.6 per goal LMM

fill out your calories with carbs (UNLESS you are doing Keto which will change)
  • Big100loser
    Big100loser Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I find 40/30/30 to be the easiest to stick to and fits a variety of situations. Maybe start with that and tweak to see what works best for you.
  • Charlene_1985
    Charlene_1985 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I aim for 50C/30F/20P but end up with 50/35/15