Wow, that stings

Options
Thriceshy
Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
Didn't find this posted before--I'm a little surprised (and horrified) by the results here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/27/men-leave-weight-gain_n_911143.html?1311788898&icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl6|sec1_lnk3|81595

Replies

• dipsl19
    dipsl19 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    idk if im that surprised.. maybe i dont have that much faith in people.
    thankfully i found a wonderfulll man who loves me very much- and im not thin! :) just be careful who you give your heart to, ladies..:\
  • Ajontheguitar
    Options
    It's Huffington Post. It's made to depress you and get angry at the wrong people. Don't take it too much to heart!
  • laureneva15
    laureneva15 Posts: 280
    Options
    This contributed to why my ex is my ex, amongst thee things, and partly why I didn't start this journey until he was well and truly out of my life.
    I didn't do it for myself before, even though I really wanted to and knew that I had to, in spite of him. Because it honestly felt like I was doing it for him not for me.
  • SweGuy
    SweGuy Posts: 78
    Options
    Is Huntington Post like Onion News Network?!?
  • mailroommary
    Options
    That was my ex. He told me he'd leave me if I ever gained more than 20 lbs. Of course he has (and still does) an extremely fast metabolism. Not fair! lol Mine tanked after a back injury and was on pain killers for a year. Oh well. another excuse. Right? I gained weight and he left. I'm slowly losing my weight but I did end up losing about, oh I'd say 185 lbs of stupidity immediately. :)

Mary :bigsmile:
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Kind of makes me wonder if that's why my husband started asking me out on dates and then wanted to reconcile... I'm now down just below where I was when we got together... and on my way to being where I was at my thinnest adult weight about a year after we got together...

It really makes me think about the "if you can't accept me at my worst, you don't deserve me at my best" saying...

but I do love him-even if he is a pig who left me because I was fat. *shrug* Honestly I don't think that's the reason he left, but in a way it had a play in it. I didn't feel good about myself, and that ruminated from me and made me very hostile toward him and everyone else I am close to. :-/
  • superflyrbi
    superflyrbi Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I guess it is a matter of perspective... I left my first wife after she gained about 180lbs ( I think his name was Juan). My second wife, however, gained about 60lbs (on her body) and I didn't notice until after she loast it all and showed me a before and after picture. She was always the same beautiful woman I married.
  • barefootgardener
    Options
    I would like to see the age groups of the men questioned, what country they are from, are they dating or married, kids no kids. I want more background info. Am I looking at 40 year old male answers or 20 year old male answers. I don't like thinking half of men would leave if a woman gained weight. I know after 2 kids i have gained weight that is why i am here...... i also want to know how much weight was specified, 5 pounds 10 pounds 50 or 100.

I am just really curious to see the real statistics of the survey. Trying to be optimistic and give men a little benefit of the doubt.
  • mjmoore8480
    Options
    I guess this should start coming up in those early dating conversations... do you hope to get married one day? Have children? would you leave your wife if she got fat? City life or suburbs? ....:noway:
  • mjmoore8480
    Options
    I guess it is a matter of perspective... I left my first wife after she gained about 180lbs ( I think his name was Juan). My second wife, however, gained about 60lbs (on her body) and I didn't notice until after she loast it all and showed me a before and after picture. She was always the same beautiful woman I married.

love this!! too funny! congrats on being part of the other 50%!
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    who'd want to be with a tosser that does that anyway? not me, see ya, wouldn't wanna be ya... don't let the door hit your *kitten* on the way out...

sorry, but i don't want to be with someone who doesn't want to be with me... simple as that. yeah it might hurt, but i'd rather not be in a relationship with a small minded idiot, may as well get out early and not waste another minute on an idiot than hang around wasting precious moments with someone who doesn't deserve you...
  • laureneva15
    laureneva15 Posts: 280
    Options
    who'd want to be with a tosser that does that anyway? not me, see ya, wouldn't wanna be ya... don't let the door hit your *kitten* on the way out...

sorry, but i don't want to be with someone who doesn't want to be with me... simple as that. yeah it might hurt, but i'd rather not be in a relationship with a small minded idiot, may as well get out early and not waste another minute on an idiot than hang around wasting precious moments with someone who doesn't deserve you...

This. Absolutely. This.
  • piperjon
    piperjon Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Thppth. While 50% of the males they asked said that, that also represents 50% of males who read Huffington Post. Out here in the real world, most men love for love, and love someone's insides, and aren't so superficial that they would leave a woman for gaining weight. I'm sure there are some, sure, but 50%?? Naah. Maybe half of their male readers are that uptight and superficial, but I can't see that with the increase in EVERYone's overall weight how that statistic could be accurate. That would leave NO skinny women for all those superficial men! And I see plenty of skinny, single, unattached women.

So, in short: I don't think so.
  • piperjon
    piperjon Posts: 157 Member
    Options

Heck yeah, good point! And good riddance. Just shows you weren't with the right person anyway.
    So long, superficial!
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Just a quick note--the survey wasn't by Huffington Post. It was just being reported by Huffington Post. Thanks to those who addressed the actual subject.

Kris