Unsure where to go from here.

Options
2»

Replies

• monstar4kc
    monstar4kc Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Should I stay in a deficit to lose the last 20 or 30 pounds of fat? Do I need to start thinking about recomp now? How do I come to terms with the skin suit?

First off, congrats on your progress. You have come a LONG way. It's easy to put weight on but much harder to get it off and keep it off. You are 20# to your goal so my suggestion would be to continue at your current deficit if you still have 20-30 lbs to lose. Unfortunately you either need to tighten up your logging, be more active (such as increasing your workout times) or maybe a little bit of both if you want to see that scale move. Once you get down to your last 20# , I would reduce the deficit to 1 or 1.5 lbs a week. You'll get 250-500 calories more if you don't change anything in your diet and activity level but it's important to continue eating the same things. Don't go crazy thinking you have more calories to play with and reach for sugar and processed foods. Just add an apple or a handful of nuts to your day. Increase calories slowly. I think increasing by 100 calories every day for 3 days works best until you reach your caloric goal. Once you get down to your last 10#, I would decrease your deficit to either 0.5 or 1 lb a week. I set myself to a 1 lb weekly loss when I got down to my last 10#. I set that deficit to make up for 2 things: 1) to account for an under-estimation in my food intake or lack thereof and 2) to account for an overestimation of calories burned on my Fitbit. I have been up and down on the scale the same 3-4 lbs these last 2 months so even with a deficit, weight loss has definitely slowed. I went from 160# in January to 128# today so I am almost to my 125# goal. Once you do get to your goal weight, try and maintain that weight for 2-3 weeks before increasing your calories to maintenance. This will help avoid weight gain. After that, you can start thinking about recomposition which will (at some point) make you gain weight since you'll be adding muscle and increasing calorie intake to build that muscle. As for the "skin suit" you speak of, I wouldn't worry about it so much. It takes time for elasticity to spring back. Plus, I think you look great! Work on building muscle and lifting heavy weights after your weight loss journey and I bet your "skin suit" will start feeling like it's sucking in you in more than just hanging about. Be patient and give it time. All your hard work will pay off. Trust me.

• joevai
    joevai Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss. I am also 5'7" and weighed 285. I got down to 160 about 6 months ago (took about 2 years) and decided to stay there for a while. It's a big change and takes a while to get used to your new body. I fiddled around with maintenance until I found what worked for me. After a few months had passed I was ready to get rid of that last 15 pounds and so have started back on a reducing program again. Sagging skin? I'm 68 and my skin is not as elastic as it once was, so yes there's sagging skin but it's not as bad as I thought it would be. Looking at your pictures I agree with the other posters: You look great. (Aren't you so glad you took that "before" picture!) Youth is your friend - lifting will help (I also do weights). Take a break if you need a breather but from experience I can tell you it's difficult to get started again. And remember, it can be harder to lose those last few pounds because your calorie requirements are so much less. Don't get discouraged - you've done something most people wouldn't do. My bet is that we'll both be at our goal before summer ends!

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    Another voice weighing in to say IMHO you look great and, from the pics, your skin does, too. Congrats on your fantastic accomplishment. Ditto on considering a full diet break. It will give you a chance to reframe your goals and expectations for the last 20. It's a good idea to approach it at 1/2 lb per week. It will help you transition to maintenance as well. I hope your outlook lifts soon. You have come so far!
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    You are beautiful. Congrats and very proud of you for what you have accomplished. You may have excess skin but you are so much healthier now. You rock!
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Our before and after pics wouldn't be that dissimilar. I am 5'9 and started at 284 ... down to 171 now. My next goal is 150-155. I have started to get slightly discouraged by my saggy belly and arm skin. (I have been lifting and have lost slowly over two years). But I am going to keep going to see what 20 more pounds does and continue to focus on how great I look in clothes now ... and how much healthier I am. You look great - and any "issues" are probably more because we are so hard on ourselves compared to how others see us. Be proud of your new body!!!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,164 Member
    Options
    One thought about loose skin, though only you'd know whether it may apply in your case.

You've certainly figured out that we don't necessarily lose fat in neat layers starting on the outside and progressing steadily inward. It can deplete pretty much anywhere within the fat mass, so the fat areas initially may get squishier and saggier (like a water balloon slightly filled with water (and no air) vs. one that's firmly full of water).

Eventually, as we lose more fat, the "balloon" deflates more completely. Once the squishy-fat mass is no longer conspiring with gravity to pull the skin downward, that skin is likely to be more able to shrink.

If you think about it, actual skin is pretty thin, like the skin you can pinch up on a non-fatty place like the back of your hand. Loose skin makes small wrinkles, like a medium weight fabric such as denim or light corduroy. Thicker folds, like 1/2-1 inch or more, possibly still have some subcutaneous fat.

Losing the rest of the way to your goal weight really may help. Even at goal weight, recomposition (staying at goal weight but adding more muscle while losing a bit more fat) can continue the process. (I'm not, of course, advocating obsessive dieting to lose every last fat molecule, just suggesting that you may see further positive changes on your current healthy course).

Even at age 60-61, I've seen pretty good shrink-back of my actual loose skin (the thin-wrinkles stuff) over my first year (plus a little) in maintenance, without much attention to recomp. I hope you'll be surprised by some positive results, too, as you continue on your course (maybe after that bit of a diet break ;) ).
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    you look great!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    MJ2victory wrote: »
    I am worried about your focus on the way you look. Have you entered therapy? Losing that much weight has huge mental implications and without a trained professional, you may run into trouble. For what it's worth, your body is beautiful. It saddens me you can't see that. I really think you should look for a therapist who can guide you through accepting your new size and learning to love the new you.

are you kidding me?

we are all concerned with how we look...why is there always one post that basically says "you need therapy" jeez.