Postpartum thyroid issue

Options
I'm hoping there is someone who has been in the same position that I am currently in and can offer some advice or insight.

I have been hypothyroid since 2013 and have taken Thyroxin daily which brought me back into the normal range and I havent needed to adjust my doseage at all in the past few years. I had a baby 3 months ago and gained 19kgs or just over 40 pounds. I lost 10kgs after the birth and then started back on my mfp weight loss journey in mid to late April. The initial weight loss was slow which I expected and then it seemed to plateau, before I started loosing weight at a fast rate of knots. I've lost almost 5kgs or 11 pounds in the past month. I had my thyroid levels checked and I have now gone hyperthyroid and my medication has been decreased. Apparently it can be quite normal for thyroid levels to become unbalanced after pregnancy, has anyone else experienced this? I feel like the weight loss that I've experienced so far hasn't been 'real' or healthy and I most likely have lost a lot of muscle mass. Should I expect to gain this weight back when my levels are back in the normal range? Has anyone else become hyper postpartum and did you swing back to hypo? How long did it take to normalise and did you continue to loose weight?

Many thanks in advance.

Replies

• TLCFORM
    TLCFORM Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If it helps to know, I am 5'5, currently weigh 156 pounds and am breastfeeding. I have been eating around 1800 calories per day, if not slightly more.
  • 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    It takes about 4-6 weeks for the change in medication to take full effect. Preg has done lots of things to my hormones. I had to say goodbye to my gall bladder following my 2nd preg (so did my sis on her 2nd one). I am unsure when my thyroid issues started but I have only discovered it post kids but from what I've read it is common and length of time is unknown its about keeping an eye on changes in your symptoms. For me my resting heart rate is a great indicator of whether or not my medication is on track.
  • TLCFORM
    Options
    Sounds awful! Okay thanks very much, hopefully the drop in medication will help over the next few weeks/months. Have you ever been hyperthyroid? How did this affect your weight loss? Thanks again.
  • TLCFORM
    Options
    As mentioned, I have lost almost 5kgs in a month. Does anyone know if this would mostly be muscle? Although I've been counting calories using mfp, it doesn't feel like 'healthy' weight loss. Has anyone else lost dramatic weight whilst being hyperthyroid? Thanks!