Always Hungry!!

Options
Does anyone know of any natural way to stifle your appetite? I can't seem to stop snacking! I'm never going to lose weight if this continues, please help.

Replies

• cdupuie84
    cdupuie84 Posts: 20
    Options
    I drink my water and tea. I heard hot liquids fill you up. Or try Oatmeal. Lots of fiber in oats are filling. Good luck!
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    are you actually hungry or is it the habit of snacking?
  • bigmovens
    bigmovens Posts: 3
    Options
    Apples and carrot stix do it for me!! Good luck
  • misstorree
    misstorree Posts: 20
    Options
    whenever i get urges to start snacking I just do something to occupy myself. call a friend, go for a walk or bike ride, clean, just anything to keep yourself busy. or just chew gum! :)
  • laranay13
    laranay13 Posts: 24
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I believe I am actually hungry but it might be habit as well. I'm going to try distracting myself and drinking more water/tea.
  • vdocktor
    vdocktor Posts: 1
    Options
    Try spreading your meals out across the day (4-5 smaller meals) and make sure you have some protein with each meal. It will make you feel full longer. Water and hot liquids are also a good idea. Good luck!
  • cvaneaton
    cvaneaton Posts: 154
    Options
    Water, tea and making sure that I have enough protein work for me. :flowerforyou:
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    If you open up your diary, we could make suggestions on foods that might fill you more!
  • MrsSorenson
    MrsSorenson Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    -Water
    -Fiber
    -Chew Gum
    -Bring a toothbrush and brush your teeth a time or two during the day, I feel like I can't eat when I just brush my teeth, and they are all clean and minty... I don't get the full effect when I just chew gum...

I hope it helps!
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I recommend exercising. Go window shopping,
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is an appetite suppressant (in fact it's the active ingredient in many OTC diet pills). Depending on your definition of 'natural', drinking more tea/coffee might help with the cravings.

Also- keep active (might be boredom rather than hunger).

Also- when snacking, avoid the carb-rich stuff...I think most people tend to crave more after eating it.
  • GenerationD05
    Options
    My mother always told me before to drink water when I said I was hungry. I never used to listen, but I have lately and it's done wonders... plus you get water in your system! If tea is more to your liking (I totally wanted to say if tea is your cup of tea... but that sounds repetitive haha) then have some of that. There's SO many flavors and versions for tea so you have lots to choose from.
  • chassist23
    chassist23 Posts: 22
    Options
    Sometime we confuse hunger for thrist. Drink water and lots of it. :)
  • Bodhizephyr
    Options
    Its a cognitive behavioural change you're looking for. I know how you feel, I've been battling to get rid of a stone for 7 years now. I've just figured it out how to stop myself 'snacking' or 'cheating'. After coming out of an eating disorder too its the last little demon. I've lost 8lbs so far using this site and mobile app and thats the most I've lost since 2004. I've done my research and its the food diary that is the key and also knowing the science and not believing the bull****

In my case I found that the real crux of it is to gain control over my eating. To be able to eat a bar of chocolate but make sure I don't eat one everyday. To know that its ok to feel hungry and that I am not going to starve if I make myself wait another hour until meal time.

One tip is to make sure you don't just measure your weight. I have a lot more muscle mass through dance and sport than I did when I was pre-illness weight so I'm not aiming to get back to 9st10 I'm aiming to get back to a size 10/12 (UK). I measure my waist, arms, thighs, hips etc to see the shrinkage.

I treated myself to a bright pink Camelbak water bottle which goes everywhere with me, that helps with the water situation and I'm not going through lots of plastic bottles so I'm also doing my bit for the environment.
  • laranay13
    laranay13 Posts: 24
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I didn't even realize my diary was private. It's opened now :)
  • nmclaurin
    nmclaurin Posts: 43
    Options
    For nightime snacing, brushing my teeth actually works.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Cut out the sugar and eat lower carbs for a few days. Protein and veggies keep you full and if you can cut the sugar the cravings for sugary things and junk lessen so much!
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary. You may want to eat less fast food or already prepared foods. If you eat lots of low calorie or healthy calorie food, you may feel more satisfied and less deprived. When I eat fast food, I'm usually hungry about two hours later and craving salty, fatty foods.
  • farrellb2
    farrellb2 Posts: 120
    Options
    I chew gum and carry a 64 OZ water bottle with me at all times when I'm at work, I work with kids and our snacks are in the cabinet, with lots of "fun foods" like pudding, pretzels, gram-crackers, cereal, vanilla wafers and goldfish- all my weaknesses, especially the pudding and vanilla wafers!

I do find myself feeling never full around the time I start my period though, that's when I feel like I really have to fight the urge to eat.