Options
MassarDv
MassarDv Posts: 76 Member
rc0vdhfmt9xv.png
Male
Height:5ft 11
Weight: 150 pounds
Body fat 14 percent
Will the eating goal attached help me achieve my goal?

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to lose weight? You're 150 lbs and 5'11", you need to gain weight...
  • MassarDv
    edited June 2017
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    Why are you trying to lose weight? You're 150 lbs and 5'11", you need to gain weight...

Because my body fat is 14 percent and I would like to drop it to 12 to get the abs
  • MassarDv
    Options
    Thanks my body is very similar today to the one at left hand side of the picture but with lower abs hidden now .
  • MassarDv
    Options
    Lol I agree but definitely not that lean as you might be thinking . Can you tell me what body weight with body fat (I guess even 12 percent can work ) I should be aiming to achieve that left sided look?
  • edickson76
    edickson76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Go here: https://muscleandstrengthpyramids.com/nutrition-videos/
    and watch those videos on nutrition.

Lift heavy during the cut, and cut down to 10-12% body fat. Follow a lifting routine and aim to retain your current strength. When you reach 10-12%, if you like the way you look, congratulations, eat at maintenance. If you want more muscle, change your diet to gain weight and continue lifting this time in a progressive lifting program to stimulate muscle growth. When you hit 15%, cut back down to 10-12% and evaluate whether you want another cycle.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    MassarDv wrote: »
    AJ_G wrote: »

Because my body fat is 14 percent and I would like to drop it to 12 to get the abs

You do not have enough lean muscle mass to support abs. If you keep cutting calories eventually you will be between a rock and a hard place. Then you will have to work in reverse. I agree with AJ. Eat near maintenance and lift heavy. You will then have a foundation upon which you can cut.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I also agree that you should eat around maintenance and lift heavy. You also dont' need 225g of protein as a 150lb male. You would be fine with 150g of protein and more carbs. Use the below link to find a good program.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • Muscle_for_Fitness
    Muscle_for_Fitness Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    Another vote for eating at maintenance, starting a heavy progressive lifting program, dropping protein to 150 g and adding those extra calories into your carbs.
  • dalerst
    dalerst Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to achieve the look of the left and at the minute on a bulk and progressive lifting programme then will look at cutting towards the end of this year. my current is 2750 cals perday based on 45c 30p 25f and in the last 2 weeks managed to gain 0LB :( just looking weather I need to up to 3000 per day.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I also agree that you should eat around maintenance and lift heavy. You also dont' need 225g of protein as a 150lb male. You would be fine with 150g of protein and more carbs. Use the below link to find a good program

LOL!

Weren't we just discusing my observation that there were a lot of "you don't need THAT much protein" comments on MFP in another thread?

Is 150g or 1g/#BW "enough"? Probably but too much protein isn't the OP's "problem."

Lack of sufficient muscular development probably is and a high protein diet along w/heavy progessive lifting is a solution for that.

High protein intake will contribute to muscle development and fat loss and even at 1.5g/#BW that's really NOT" too much" protein. At least not enough to cause kidney or health related probems.

• psuLemon
    edited June 2017
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I also agree that you should eat around maintenance and lift heavy. You also dont' need 225g of protein as a 150lb male. You would be fine with 150g of protein and more carbs. Use the below link to find a good program

LOL!

Weren't we just discusing my observation that there were a lot of "you don't need THAT much protein" comments on MFP in another thread?

Is 150g or 1g/#BW "enough"? Probably but too much protein isn't the OP's "problem."

Lack of sufficient muscular development probably is and a high protein diet along w/heavy progessive lifting is a solution for that.

High protein intake will contribute to muscle development and fat loss and even at 1.5g/#BW that's really NOT" too much" protein. At least not enough to cause kidney or health related probems.

Yes, but as stated, there is a difference between need and preference. If the OP prefers that crazy high, cool... but you won't see an improvement over what is needed.

And i suspect the OP just randomly selected percentages as opposed to coming up with numbers based on lean body mass and personal satiety requirements.
  • sgt1372
    edited June 2017
    Options
    And i suspect the OP just randomly selected percentages as opposed to coming up with numbers based on lean body mass and personal satiety requirements.

Doesn't look random to me.

When you break down the numbers, he's proposing a 2000 (actually 2004) cal diet with a macro of 225g protein (x4=900 cals or 45%) plus 150g carbs (x4=600 or 30%) and 56g fat (x9=504 or 25%), which seems like a reasonable macro goal for the purpose of increasing LBM and reducing fat to me.

My macros, also on a 2000 cal diet, are 40P/40C/20F, which is not all that different and which I was very successful (early on) in using to gain LBM and lose fat and they are still effective in maintaining my weight now.

I'd also like to note that macro "goals" are different from reality. While my goal has been 40P/40C/20F, the reality over a year has been closer to 35P/39C/26F, despite a consious daily effort to meet that goal, and I'd expect that the OP would have a similar difficulty meeting his goal, which just emphasizes why it's unnecessary to tell people w/unusually high protein goals that they don't "need THAT much protein" because the reality is that they are unlikely to actually reach that goal.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options

When you break down the numbers, he's proposing a 2000 (actually 2004) cal diet with a macro of 225g protein (x4=900 cals or 45%) plus 150g carbs (x4=600 or 30%) and 56g fat (x9=504 or 25%), which seems like a reasonable macro goal for the purpose of increasing LBM and reducing fat to me.

My macros, also on a 2000 cal diet, are 40P/40C/20F, which is not all that different and which I was very successful (early on) in using them to gain LBM and lose fat and they are still effective in maintaining my weight now.

I agree.

Also-

Protein- 1.5g/lb- 225g
    Fat- 0.35g/lb- 52.5g
    remainder to carbs.

Pretty spot on to what he has and a pretty logical and commonly used way to determine macros when trying to build muscle.
  • psuLemon
    Options

My macros, also on a 2000 cal diet, are 40P/40C/20F, which is not all that different and which I was very successful (early on) in using to gain LBM and lose fat and they are still effective in maintaining my weight now.

I'd also like to note that macro "goals" are different from reality. While my goal has been 40P/40C/20F, the reality over a year has been closer to 35P/39C/26F, despite a consious daily effort to meet that goal, and I'd expect that the OP would have a similar difficulty meeting his goal, which just emphasizes why it's unnecessary to tell people w/unusually high protein goals that they don't "need THAT much protein" because the reality is that they are unlikely to actually reach that goal.

Youre argument is an argument against a phrase you dont like... not against what studies show... eating more than 1g/lb is not going to add additional benefit outside of personal preference... at least according to the meta analyses i have seen. Is there anything wrong with going up to 1.5g, no. But there isnt additional benefit either. I have worked with women with less grams per lb and they saw equivalent improvements in body composition as you.

So no, the OP would need that much, but can if that suits their personal satiety or compliance.

Ultimately, training is more important that arguing the exact range or specific amount of grams a person should or could eat.

So can the OP be successful with these macros, sure, but they still dont need 45% protein.
  • sgt1372
    edited June 2017
    Options

So no, the OP would need that much, but can if that suits their personal satiety or compliance.

Ultimately, training is more important that arguing the exact range or specific amount of grams a person should or could eat.

So can the OP be successful with these macros, sure, but they still dont need 45% protein.

We agree but just choose to phrase and focus on the "issue" differently.

As I already said, I agree that the OP probably doesn't "need" 45% protein BUT I also said that I don't think that setting a goal of 45% protein is necessarily "bad" or harmful, even if it can actually be achieved, which is not entirely likely.

My point is that the OP's (and other people's) high protein goal is NOT the problem and that it isn't even necessary to even mention it. In fact, stating that "you don't need THAT much protein" is a red herring based on spurious reasoning that distracts from the real issue.

What is more important is, as you say, "Ultimately, training . . ." And, again, in this respect we agree.

My objection to the normative statement that " you don't need THAT much protein" (which you and others on MFP commonly assert) sets up an belief that becomes self justifying and fulfilling.

Because people say that "you don't need THAT much protein," people come to accept this as a TRUTH that isn't necessarily true at all and, when in fact, a high protein diet beyond the generally accepted "limits" of 0.8-1g/# BW (or LBM, depending on who's talking) may actually be beneficial.

So, my objection is not just the statement itself but the effect the statement has on what people (mostly the uninformed) come to believe, which may not be justified when generalized as it so often is.