How do you weigh peaches and apricots?

Options
Hi everyone, I'm writing for the first time here. I wonder what is the proper way to weigh peaches and apricots - when they are whole or after you cut them and take the seed out? I'm asking because I need to log them in my MyFitnessPall food diary.

Replies

• Locolady98
    Locolady98 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Great question. Very often, MFP lists what form the food is in. So, see if you can find a listing that says something like "Peach (whole)." If it says that, it includes the pit. If in doubt, slice the peach up, remove the pit, and then look for a listing that says something like "Peach (sliced)." Hope that helps!

And welcome to the forums! Friendly bunch here - very supportive peeps. :)
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    this made me laugh, iv just been tesco and got a load of both as are on offer and was wondering the exact thing
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    If you are lean and trying to get leaner or looking to lose a couple of lbs or in comp phase not sure the pit matters that much...I mean what does it weight...maybe 10grams at most...

If that is going to make or break your weight loss...you are doing it wrong.
  • Nicholas_39
    Nicholas_39 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If you want to be really precise with it then weigh only the part you eat - without the pit. Usually it weighs very little and apricots/peaches aren't too calorie dense so it doesn't matter much.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    USDA entries (which are the best ones to use for whole foods) are for the parts of the food normally eaten unless they specifically say. So peaches without the pit, bananas without the peel.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    iv just been weighing them whole and logging that as the packet said "as sold" then thought "but I dont eat the stone" lol

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The stone weighs less than you might think, so calorie wise it makes little difference, but you can subtract it out.
  • rada_levkova
    rada_levkova Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank u all for the replies! They are very helpful! And yeah, the weigh of the stone is not much but I'm new to all this healthy eating and been trying to figure out things. It's been going really well and I've lost almost all the weight that I inserted as my goal for weight loss without really aiming to achieve my goal. Just wanted to see if I can get in a better shape and wanted to become more healthy. Thanks for the support guys!
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I always slice my fruit, whether it's peaches, apples, pears....whatever. I only weigh what I eat. I just want to be as precise as possible. Not everyone does it that way, but that's just the habit I have gotten into.
  • rada_levkova
    Options
    Yeah but what do u do with cherries, YvetteK2015???
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    If you are lean and trying to get leaner or looking to lose a couple of lbs or in comp phase not sure the pit matters that much...I mean what does it weight...maybe 10grams at most...

If that is going to make or break your weight loss...you are doing it wrong.

I disagree. it's a mental thing for me. if I log 144 grams of pasta (like I did last night) I want EXACTLY 144 grams of pasta. I put in into a bowl and it measured 146 grams, so I took out one noodle to get it to 144 grams. to me, estimating gets me into trouble, if I fudge 10 grams here or there, it could end up being a lot over the course of the day or week.

• markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    i weigh anything with a peel or a pit WHOLE. eat what i want, go back and weigh everything left-over and subract grams from original.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Yeah but what do u do with cherries, YvetteK2015???

HAHA- I just have cherries this morning. I took all the stems off first, then weighed them. After I ate them, I weighed the pits, and subtracted.
  • rada_levkova
    Options
    Haha - I know I started this discussion but this seems really like a lot of work. I just wondered if the stones were somehow taken into consideration in the info with the nutrition facts I find online when I log the food. But I think we shouldn't reduce everything to mathematics because we are not machines and also every person is different and what works for one may not work for another. Thank you all for the comments!
  • MsChucktowski
    MsChucktowski Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I just wondered if the stones were somehow taken into consideration in the info with the nutrition facts I find online when I log the food.

The USDA food database only includes the edible portion of the fruit:
    Peaches
    Apricots

But I think we shouldn't reduce everything to mathematics because we are not machines.

We DO have calculators though ;)

• Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Things with large inedible portions, I weigh after taking off the parts I can't eat.