Excerise ideas for severe arthritic knees

Options
Can anyone give me ideas for excerisin with bad knees? I have arthritis and trying to find way to excerise with being in so much pain after. Thank you

Replies

• mandy220750
    mandy220750 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi, I also have bad arthritic knees and find exercise difficult.
    Walking a little but pain during it. I have bought a mobility cycle which I find helpful. The cycle is used sitting down so no weight on the knees and you can also use it for the arms.
    Swimming is also good, however I don't do this because I am very big and would not want to wear a costume in public.
    Don't over do it. A little often is better than a long session.
    You can lose without much exercise but it may help in toning up.
    I have lost 4 stone from July 2016 to November 2016 then from May 2017 to June 2017. Gave up during December 2016 to April 2016 and did put on nearly a stone.
    Good luck to you.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Hand cycle, lifting heavy things, chair aerobics videos on you tube. Swimming, walking, yoga.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Hand cycling is more difficult than you might think; I depended on it for about a year before I could use my feet enough for a regular bike again. I honestly think the hand cycle was a harder workout.

Swimming and/or water aerobics are great if you have those available to you.

There are a lot of seated upper body exercises you can do. They make up the bulk of my workout (I have arthritic feet/ankles, so I'm in a similar situation).

Gentle yoga may or may not be a good idea. I'd run that one by a doctor/PT first.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I have advanced osteoarthritis in the knees and have had two surgeries on the same knee in an 11 month period - its tough, but I do what I can do.

Find the things that work for you - may be biking, walking, swimming, etc. In terms of weights - I still do what I can do - straight leg deadlift, hip thrusts, partial squats - its better than nothing, that's for sure!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor for a referral to physical therapy and do exactly what they tell you. No one can accurately assess your situation and advise you without a physical examination. Good luck.