Getting used to exercise

Hi guys.

Just wanted a bit of advice.. I do body combat 3 times a week abd alternate this with walking . My question is can your body get essentially used to this routine and in result be less effective or is burning calories simply burning calories?
I've been told I might need to shake things up a bit I've been doing combat fir years but not seeing any results from it?

Replies

• DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    You might consider running instead of walking. I just started the Couch to 5K running program (you can add the app to your phone, or get it off the internet). I use the app. You start with a 5 minute walk, then a 1 minute run/jog, then 2 or 3 minutes of walking, then another 1 minute run. The next week you run for a longer period between walking. I've enjoyed seeing that my stamina has increased, I've had no injuries, and when I log into My Fitness Pal, I'm credited with more exercise calories burned. I don't eat back all the calories and have slowly lost some weight.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Yeah, define what you mean by results or lack thereof?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    There are a couple of things at work here.

1. "Mechanical efficiency"--this is the idea that, as the body does the same movement over and over, it becomes "more efficient" and burns fewer calories. In most cases, this does not occur to any great extent. For simple movements such as running or cycling, there are only very small improvements in efficiency over time--and it is easy enough to just go faster to compensate.

2. However, when it comes to workouts that are based on body-weight movements, or other movements, then one could conceivably reach a limit to how hard one can exert oneself--in other words, you might not be able to move any more vigorously. In that case, both weight loss and "efficiency" could, over time, contribute to a larger decrease in calories for the same workout and one might be limited as to how much harder one can work.

3. In most cases, however, what happens over time is not "fewer calories per workout" per se, but a person settles into an energy balance. Eating habits become more consistent, exercise becomes more consistent, and casual activity becomes more consistent--and in fact often becomes less.

So, yes, in this case, you might need to change things up a little--not because you need to "confuse the body", which doesn't happen--but to increase your overall calorie burn.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    I take Body Combat 2 times per week (in a class) and I'm always drenched in sweat and incredibly sore. But I do often see other people in the class who have taken it "forever" doing exactly the right routine... but not literally punching and kicking as hard as they can. If you're not fully throwing arms and legs through and whipping them back at warp speed... you may be just doing the motions.

If you do it at home, maybe consider taking the live classes so that the instructor is there to push harder and correct "lazy" movements" like mine does. Since you already do LES Mills... I'd add Body Pump if you want great results. I do Pump 4x per week, Combat 2x per week, and Flow/Balance 1x per week.

Since you're walking and doing Combat... you're doing 100% Cardio and are unlikely to see muscle tone, if that's what you're looking for.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    id love to do body pump, however i dont have time to go out to a class, as i have 2 toddlers, i study for an degree and i work full time, im only managing body combat at the minute because i do it from home, this is a nightmare lol
  • meganw2020
    meganw2020 Posts: 107 Member
    Strength training would probably help you greatly, if you workout at home you can invest in a set of adjustable dumbbells (a little spendy but you will have them forever) and do youtube videos, there are tons of great channels out there that are free, Fitness Blender is a favorite of mine.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    id love to do body pump, however i dont have time to go out to a class, as i have 2 toddlers, i study for an degree and i work full time, im only managing body combat at the minute because i do it from home, this is a nightmare lol

My instructor said that the Beach Body website (that used to be partnered with Les Mills) sometimes has the Pump equipment for really cheap and she's also found it by posting a "want" ad on Craigslist. People tend to invest and then give up working out, so according to others... Craigslist is the place to go if you're looking for weights or equipment.

I'm thinking about posting an ad for just 25lb dumbells myself because I could mimic most of the Pump moves using those, instead. Other than "clean and press"... you could also just use dumbells and follow the routine.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    If you aren't seeing results is your nutrition on point? Using a food scale? Accurately entering correct foods?

I personally enjoy lifting weights because I can always increase resistance.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Yeah, define what you mean by results or lack thereof?

^^this

What do you mean by "results"? Improved fitness? Weight loss? If your goal with it is solely weight loss, then it takes more than just exercise. You need to be watching your intake as well.
  • leahcollett1
    yes im currently tackling my food, intake ive had a rather nasty eye opener regarding thinking what was harmless snacking, ( off kids plates, thinking that dont count) but ohh it so does lol.
    i just hoped that what i was doing exercise wise is adequate and its really my diet that needs work, or whether it was both, i did swimming earlier this week and ive had the worst doms ever from it,( love that feeling) this proves that maybve im using the same muscles week in week out doing walking and combat?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    yes im currently tackling my food, intake ive had a rather nasty eye opener regarding thinking what was harmless snacking, ( off kids plates, thinking that dont count) but ohh it so does lol.
    i just hoped that what i was doing exercise wise is adequate and its really my diet that needs work, or whether it was both, i did swimming earlier this week and ive had the worst doms ever from it,( love that feeling) this proves that maybve im using the same muscles week in week out doing walking and combat?

i suffer from really bad DOMS if i do a different workout than usual (usual being running, biking and some bodyweight stuff) doesn't mean the workouts i usually do are not effective, just that is it doing something different. if you start swimming regularly you will stop getting the DOMS.
  • leahcollett1
    yea i know that, it was just a nice new feeling to experience as i never get that anymore.