Skinny fat problems.

Options
Somebody please help me!
I'm 5'8, skinny and 133lbs which gives me a healthy bmi, so I do not want or need to lose weight. But I have lower stomach fat - I actually look a little pregnant because it sticks out.
I've been on a deficit of about 1450 calories per day along with regular cardio and strength training, but I don't know if I'm doing the right thing because I don't actually need to lose weight from anywhere other than my stomach, so I don't think overall weight loss is what I need. But obviously I know that I can't spot reduce. I've lost several pounds over a month or two so far but no change really to my stomach.
Some people say you should eat more to build muscle and then lose the fat, others say to focus solely on fat loss first with lots of cardio and others say to just diet hard.
There's so much conflicting advice online but because I'm not overweight, I don't know what to do so I'd really appreciate some much needed guidance...

Replies

• LC4509
    LC4509 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Just beginner strength workouts from youtube so moves like deadlift, lunges, bent over row, chest press, curl and press, squats, planks, woodchoppers. I'm not sure if I'm doing enough though. Would you recommend carrying on with the calorie deficit as I do that?
  • edlanglais
    edlanglais Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that I'm not a physical trainer nor a nutritionist. I can tell you what I plan on doing once I reach my ideal weight. I plan on working out just as much, but doing less cardio and more strength training.
    I also plan on eating at maintenance.

• sak20011
    sak20011 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Have you had children? Could be muscle looseness/separation which would make your tummy bulge a bit. You might want to try some pilates work. Also having tight psoas and other muscles can actually contribute to a pot belly look. In other words, is it really fat on your tummy or is it structural? (I"m lucky, I get both--a roll of fat and post children looseness/poor posture, but pilates and PT has helped with the latter).
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Strength training will really tighten in that pooch and the rest of the body - plenty of workouts on youtube either using own body weight/ resistance bands or get yourself some dumb bells.
  • scward1991
    scward1991 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have spoken with an online coach (my friend swears by them but I am still a bit on the fence due to cost!) and I have a similar problem - I am 133lbs 5 ft 6 and want to lose maybe another 5 lbs or so, not too much more, nothing drastic. But I am fairly toned as it is all over, aside from the lower stomach which is where I would really like to trim down as I have a bit of a pooch When I explained this during my initial consultation, the coach recommended focusing less on cardio and more on upping strength training and nutrition for muscle definition and lowering BF%, specifically looking at the type of food I am eating which can make the difference.. I haven't had a diet plan or anything given to me as you have to pay for that monthly, but I think I will lose a bit more and seriously consider then committing to it, so thats something that might be of interest to you?

Sorry its a bit vague, but hope this helps!
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Some people's bellies have a curve, even when they're not overweight. It may not even be fat. It may be your internal organs. And everyone -- even people wtih the miraculous "bikini bridge" or whatever they call it when your hipbones stick out -- will have a pooch when they sit down and bend over.

Long story short: Even at an ideal, normal, perfect weight, many of us don' t look like the magazines.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    There are two potential issues here--the approach at first is the same for each, but it can help to understand the difference.

First: the abdominal "pooch" can be a result of overall poor muscle tone, low muscle mass, poor posture, anterior pelvic tilt, etc. In that case, a focused strength training program should, over time, improve things.

Second: there are some body types among females that preferentially store body fat in the midsection. If that is the case, then body shaping through muscle development will only go so far. Further improvements will come only from lowering body fat. I'm not recommending that per se, just saying that at some point you may need to learn to accept the body that you have.
  • LC4509
    LC4509 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    No, I haven't had children. I think it's from being sedentary to be honest. I used to work in retail and was constantly on the move, up and down stairs, bending, lifting etc. and I never used to have the pooch as far as I can remember. Also it isn't just when I'm sitting or bending, I have it when I am stood up. I think I'm definitely going to concentrate on strength training though and reduce the amount of cardio. I've read that pilates could be good also so I will look into that as well.

I'm just wandering about the correct nutrition alongside upper strength training though? It's a shame that I can't afford a nutritionist and personal trainer!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Instead of just upper strength training, you would do better doing a full body routine.

Here are a number of good programme. Find one that suits your needs and follow it. It takes months not weeks to see results.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

As long as you are eating an overall nutritious diet, getting between .8-1g protein and .3-.4g fat per lbs of lbm, eat whatever you like.
    Eat at maintenance and read the recomp thread @malibu927 posted above. If you are not starting to see results in 6 months (not final results, just improvement) them think of a trainer or nutritionist.

Cheers, h.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    savithny wrote: »
    Some people's bellies have a curve, even when they're not overweight. It may not even be fat. It may be your internal organs.

Yup. I have a belly pouch when looking at it from the side due to organs and stuff. If I tighten my stomach muscles it'll go away, but it's definitely not all fat.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I agree with recomp.

A belly pooch is normal. You can notice it on many women. I was just watching Lea year and Amy Adams has it. Didn't detract from my enjoyment of the movie or change my opinion about her (she's fab!)