Quitting smoking & trying to lose weight

Options
I realized when I was walking up a flight of stairs at work (elevator was full) that I'm in the worst possible shape. I was so out of breath walking up 15 steps. I'm 34 years old and I'm raising a 13 year old alone. I want to get my health on track not only for me but my son. Unfortunately I have bad habits that are hard to give up. I'm hoping to read words of encouragement on this app. We are all in this together

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Its can be a long road but you can definitely do it. I find alot of the success stories motivating, so if you are having day where you are feeling down and out make sure to visit there for a little boost. Also, set yourself some mini goals so you have plenty to celebrate along the way! A large goal off in the distance can feel quite overwhelming, but if you break it down a little bit suddenly it feels so much easier.

I think these two links are extremely helpful and can help you get the most out of MFP:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

The first covers accurate logging and some of the tools in MFP to help you make things easier. The second discusses caloric needs and setting goals. This one is a little heavier but if you take the time to digest it there is alot of very valuable information there. These two posts completely changed my MFP experience and helped me be much more successful, so I hope they do the same for you.

~Best wishes on your journey
  • Rufftimes
    Rufftimes Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I was able to lose weight and quit smoking at the same time so it can be done!
  • ekumpel
    ekumpel Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey Julianne,

You can totally do this. I quit smoking and lost weight 6 years ago and its the best thing I ever did. In the past I had quit smoking and gained weight only to go back to smoking with additional weight. It wasn't until I had a moment much like yours that things changed for me. I was actually 34, just like you, and was able to quit smoking and lose 40lbs! Its all thanks to this app and this community. I now play ice hockey twice a week and love the way I feel.

I've been able to stay within 5lbs of my target weight for those entire 6 years all due to the fact that this application really educates you on what's healthy and satisfying to eat and exactly what impacts exercise and good food have to even your daily weight gains/losses. I always have in the back of my head now that each of my meals should be about 600 to 700 calories. I know I can go a little overboard on the eating if I get a good workout in. Its really just about calories in and calories out! So simple but so foreign to me 6 years ago.

In summary, go for it. It will be a bit of a struggle to achieve both of these things at the same time but I guarantee you will kick yourself for not doing it sooner when you get there. After you get there it just takes a little effort to keep it up. My mind and body have never felt better!

Go get it!

Sincerely,
    Eric