What are some examples of HIIT exercises?

Options
okohjacinda
okohjacinda Posts: 329 Member
edited June 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
For beginners

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Running, Biking, Elliptical, Rowing

HIIT is a protocol, not an exercise.

It's short periods(10-30 seconds) of maximal or near maximal work followed by shortish(10-90 seconds) of active or semiactive recovery repeated for a short (5-20 minutes) duration or 8-10 reps
  • okohjacinda
    okohjacinda Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Msmjbee84
    Msmjbee84 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Burpees, jumping jacks, squat jumps, planks, really anuthing that will push you for the interval period you set. You can also do "active recovery" set in between the high intensity set, like light bicep curls or tricep kickbacks if you don't want to jog in place.

I used to be the HIIT queen until I herniated 2 lower back discs 8 months ago...still recovering and for now just LIIT (low intensity interval training).
  • Msmjbee84
    Msmjbee84 Posts: 10 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Running, Biking, Elliptical, Rowing

HIIT is a protocol, not an exercise.

It's short periods(10-30 seconds) of maximal or near maximal work followed by shortish(10-90 seconds) of active or semiactive recovery repeated for a short (5-20 minutes) duration or 8-10 reps

I personally found the 20/10 or 40/20 intervals to be most effective (for me); the former just for bodyweight work and latter for weighted moves (i.e. deadlifts into front barbell squats).
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Hill repeats. But high intensity interval aren't suited to beginners.