Supplements

Options
Morning, Y'all! :smiley:
What supplements are you currently taking?
I'm current taking a multi-vitamin, fish-oil, melatonin, BCAA's, and usually a protein shake after my workout.
This is kind of a dumb thing to admit lol, but I'm honestly a little scared of pre-workout, so I don't take it. Do y'all?
Are you guys taking anything different, and what for? Supplements are overwhelming to me for some reason haha

Replies

• oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I take a multi-vitamin and a fish oil daily. Only started to do so last Autumn. I've always been a bit sceptical of supplements but my hair was starting to get thin and I'm in my late forties so I thought I should give it a go. I've noticed benefits - my hair is defintintely improved and I no longer have period pain. That second benefit has really surprised me as I have always had period pain. Am now a convert!
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I take caffeine pills as a preworkout...200-400mg, depending on what I'm doing that day and how much coffee/red bull I've already had. My doctor has me on high doses of D3 and B12 because of deficiency. I drink a protein shake in order to reach my daily protein goal.
  • makenzielaurenadams
    makenzielaurenadams Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice! Like I said, being new to this, the "supplement world" has been overwhelming for me. I had two individuals (one at GNC, one at Planet Nutrition) tell me that I needed the protein AND the BCAA's after a workout to keep my body healthy, so I just heeded their advice. One also suggested that I eat a banana as well as the other two, which to me seemed a bit excessive, but I assumed they know a lot more than I do lol.
    I'm going to cut out the protein shake seeing as how my diet is pretty well balanced and I get plenty of protein throughout the day. It's great to know I'm not alone on the pre-workout stance. I guess if it seems unnecessary, it probably is :smile:
    Thanks again!!
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I take Omega 3 and Iron because I know I am low on both. Other than that: I mix some unflavoured whey protein powder in to something (like quark) on occasion, or use it to make my own protein bars/bites.
  • DaveyGravy
    DaveyGravy Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    C4 pre-workout, BCAA 4:1:1 during, banana after lol
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice! Like I said, being new to this, the "supplement world" has been overwhelming for me. I had two individuals (one at GNC, one at Planet Nutrition) tell me that I needed the protein AND the BCAA's after a workout to keep my body healthy, so I just heeded their advice. One also suggested that I eat a banana as well as the other two, which to me seemed a bit excessive, but I assumed they know a lot more than I do lol.
    I'm going to cut out the protein shake seeing as how my diet is pretty well balanced and I get plenty of protein throughout the day. It's great to know I'm not alone on the pre-workout stance. I guess if it seems unnecessary, it probably is :smile:
    Thanks again!!

don't assume they do know more...they just want to sell you stuff.

I take Vit D with calcium on the advice of my doctor due to my depo shots (but can now stop with the calcium as I got fixed)

as for the rest all unnecessary. BCAA, pre workout, creatine etc. I've been lifting for almost 4 years and still don't use that stuff.

I use protein powder in my smoothie in the morning as i typically eat eggs and ham in the winter but to be honest I have never just had a protein shake.

I have started eating some protein bars but that is when I get busy playing in the river etc and forget to eat.

• Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    You mirror me to some extent. Multivitamin, BCAA and a protein shake. The shake is my breakfast, mainly because I would completely skip Breakfast otherwise, and it gives my body something. The BCAA I actually drink as my Pre- and During workout. Personally, I have worked-out with and without them and I feel like I significantly notice a difference. (Now some BCAAs mix in caffeine, because I lift in the evenings, I avoid that, but that is up to you.)

Honestly GNC and others are there to sell you stuff, as was pointed out previously, and none of the stuff is regulated, so claims are just that, claims, so a lot of it is what you feel helps or works. And most stores are more than happy to sell you something else.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Helpful, not essential.

I'm taking fish oil(EPA/DHA), Turmeric, Cinnamon, Glucosamine, Chondroitin, Boswellia.. for joints,

Preworkout is BCAA, 6 Beta Alanine, 6 g Citrulline and Caffeine, Post is BCAA, 5 g Creatine.

Creatine is cheap so I'm also loading in the morning.

See Examine.com for effectiveness studies and dosing recommendations.

MOST powdered supplements under or over dose
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I take a multi. And I take an OTC iron supplement (otherwise my iron is too low, get rejected for donating blood) and a vitamin C OTC as taken with the iron: vitamin C helps in iron absorption.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Thanks again!!

don't assume they do know more...they just want to sell you stuff.

Yes, remember that the people who work at these supplement stores are salespeople, not nutritionists, and their main job is to move product. A safe default position to take is that none of these supplements are necessary or even work as claimed.

FWIW, the only supplements I take are a daily multivitamin as cheap insurance, even though I know I probably don't really need it, and fish oil mainly because my wife bought it for me and it makes her happy to contribute to my health in some way. Occasionally I'll also use a protein powder as needed to help hit my macro goals for the day.
  • jordyngiulio
    jordyngiulio Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    The only thing I take consistently is magnesium and even then it's really only during my period. I was having terrible cramps and hated the amount of NSAIDs I was taking to combat it so I started taking magnesium supplements the week before and week of. Almost totally took care of it. I will also take it on heavy training weeks and I find it helps me sleep and I have less soreness.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I take a potassium citrate supplement because if I don't I have heart palpitations and form kidney stones. Other than that I am not deficient in any supplements so I don't need to take them.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I use protein powder occasionally, especially pre workout if I am hungry (eat lunch at 11 and workout at 4). Outside of that, I dont' supplement. In general, I follow the below.

The-Pyramid-Of-Nutritional-importance.png

But in general, if you aren't getting results, supplementation is rarely going to help.
  • makenzielaurenadams
    Options
    My biggest issue honestly is motivating myself to go to the gym. I don't eat very bad, especially when I'm trying to lose weight, but I've always had a hard time sticking to a workout regimen because in all honesty I feel like I don't know what I'm doing haha. That's a terrible excuse though so I'm determined to figure it out this time!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    My biggest issue honestly is motivating myself to go to the gym. I don't eat very bad, especially when I'm trying to lose weight, but I've always had a hard time sticking to a workout regimen because in all honesty I feel like I don't know what I'm doing haha. That's a terrible excuse though so I'm determined to figure it out this time!

if you aren't training, what do you think supplementation is going to provide. I'd recommend getting on a structure routine that teaches you and tells you what to do. StrongCurves tends to a be a favorite of women.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options

Choose a program based on your goals. That will provide you with a purpose and plan when you go to the gym and you'll feel less lost.
  • makenzielaurenadams
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

if you aren't training, what do you think supplementation is going to provide. I'd recommend getting on a structure routine that teaches you and tells you what to do. StrongCurves tends to a be a favorite of women.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

I agree! However like I said I am just getting back into this. I just purchased the supplements that I am taking, and just started using them on Monday, before heading to the gym. I did not take any before, and especially not without working out as I know that would be a waste haha. Thanks for the input and advice :smile:
  • mss342
    mss342 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm currently taking fish oil and phosphatidylserine for focus and memory. It also aids in weight loss. I used to take creatine, but it fills my muscles with water and makes me look fat. I also stopped taking whey protein and am still making strength gains in the gym.