Look out Chicago, I'm coming to eat All the Things!

Options
RoteBook
RoteBook Posts: 171 Member
I'm visiting my parents near Chicago for the next week. Mostly this is a kitten to brag post because I'm going to take the week at maintenance and have (reasonable portions of) Giordano's pizza (sorry Lou's fans!), Chicago mix popcorn, Portillo's, and a gyro on a fried pita dripping with tzatziki. Oh, and Pita Inn. And maybe a Potbellies sandwich. Any place I'm forgetting? Is there anything at Portillo's that tastes good and is under 600 calories, or should I just go for it and get the cheesy beef croissant?

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I need that pizza in my life.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Uno Pizza - Chicago. Indulge in their Deep Dish Pizza. But split it with someone. 2,2190 calories and 142 grams of fat (49g saturated). You'll regret not trying it.
    I thought it was Anna pizza since that accent was hard to figure out.
    A true memory was taking the boat ride in the river/canal. And seeing the bean. Paying $27 for parking is a memory I would like to forget.
  • diana_marie8302
    diana_marie8302 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Gotta have a cocktail in the lounge/bar of the Hancock Building on the 96th floor. Great views, even great views from the bathroom :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    RoteBook wrote: »
    Giordano's pizza (sorry Lou's fans!)

Pequod's is really what I'd recommend, but enjoy!

(And have a blast.)
  • Valsgoals
    Valsgoals Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Giordano's, Connie's, or Home Run Inn...those are my favorites. If you opt for Connie's, it's very close to Chinatown. You could see out Chinatown while in the area. If you opt for Home Run Inn or Giordano's, there's one of each very close to Midway airport. You could check either out on the way in town if you're flying in thru there. If you're flying in through O'Hare, Maria's Mexican Restaurant is big for their food and margaritas. If you fly in through Midway, you'd have to check out Lalo's Mexican Restaurant. Their margaritas are KILLER!!! There's another Lalo's location in Greektown too...not that far west of the Sears (um, Willis) tower. Then...burn off those calories with some nice walks down the lakefront. Or rent a bike and bike the lakefront. There are bike rental stations all over the place.
  • jmb6739
    jmb6739 Posts: 225 Member
    Options

(And have a blast.)[/quote]

I second this, Pequod's is the best.
  • RoteBook
    Options
    jmb6739 wrote: »

(And have a blast.)

I second this, Pequod's is the best. [/quote]

I've never even heard of Pequod's, but I see there's one near my old neighborhood (I'm from Edison Park, originally). Hm...I'll mostly be in the far SW suburbs, but can arrange a trip to the old neighborhood. The question is whether I can do Pita Inn, Pequod's, and Nick's gyros all in one afternoon. My children might have to roll me to the car.
  • RoteBook
    Options
    Valsgoals wrote: »
    Giordano's, Connie's, or Home Run Inn...those are my favorites. If you opt for Connie's, it's very close to Chinatown. You could see out Chinatown while in the area. If you opt for Home Run Inn or Giordano's, there's one of each very close to Midway airport. You could check either out on the way in town if you're flying in thru there. If you're flying in through O'Hare, Maria's Mexican Restaurant is big for their food and margaritas. If you fly in through Midway, you'd have to check out Lalo's Mexican Restaurant. Their margaritas are KILLER!!! There's another Lalo's location in Greektown too...not that far west of the Sears (um, Willis) tower. Then...burn off those calories with some nice walks down the lakefront. Or rent a bike and bike the lakefront. There are bike rental stations all over the place.

I remember Lalo's-yum! I sadly neglect Mexican restaurants when I visit because I live in the SF Bay Area now, and I can get good Mexican food here, too. Realistically, Pita Inn may fall off my list too, because we've got lots of good Mediterranean restaurants here as well. It's greasy Chicago pizza, an only-in-Chicago gyro, and Portillo's that I can't really get here. There's a pizza chain here that makes a decent Chicago style pizza, but they don't butter the crust!

I'm staying out in the far SW suburbs, but will go running between the lightning strikes while I'm there. (Kidding-my sister has a treadmill and I'll run inside if it's storming. I do miss thunderstorms, because we don't have them here, but California hasn't completely addled my brains.)
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Why don't you google all their menus and plan out your day? Many restaurants have nutritional info. Be aware that they can be off by 20%. Good planning = good results.
  • RoteBook
    Options
    Gotta have a cocktail in the lounge/bar of the Hancock Building on the 96th floor. Great views, even great views from the bathroom :)

Despite living there through my 20s, I have never been to the Aerosquadron (do they even still call it that?)
  • RoteBook
    Options
    Why don't you google all their menus and plan out your day? Many restaurants have nutritional info. Be aware that they can be off by 20%. Good planning = good results.

That's the plan. I'm mostly being silly. I do not actually intend to hit three restaurants in one afternoon. :)

I plan to take the week at maintenance, which gives me 1,900 calories to work with before exercise. I can't actually eat the whole Portillo's cheesy beef sandwich anymore, and one slice of a real Chicago pizza is enough now, so even though they're each upwards of 700 calories, I'll be ok.
  • RoteBook
    Options
    I need that pizza in my life.

Yes! If you live in Northern California, Patxi's is a decent approximation.
  • RoteBook
    Options
    Timely: https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/14-reasons-chicago-fit-destination-summer/

But also revealing my age-when I lived there the river was something you stayed out of except in big boats for field trips, because if you fell in you'd probably get an infection.
  • Valsgoals
    Valsgoals Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Edison Park? Well then, you'll be happy to know there's a new Portillo's that just opened up very close to Edison Park...over by Harlem and Lawrence. I work very close to there.
  • chaney3000
    chaney3000 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I miss Giordiano's.

I need to go back and visit my fam and eat up.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE Philly's best. http://www.phillysbest.com/index.html The philly steak is a favorite. It is the thing I miss the most after moving to the burbs.
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    OMG, I now have the most intense craving for a Portillo's Chicago dog. Thanks a lot! Lol
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I was in Chicago this week for work, and there was a Nutella Cafe on Michigan with a line around the block.
  • RoteBook
    Options
    Portillo's achievement unlocked! The beef and cheddar was better in my memory, but still delicious.

Today it's Giordano's after running my kids and their cousin ragged. I'm intrigued by the Nutella restaurant and at least one of my kids would go gaga for it, but I'm the only one interested in going into the city. I have to get my Garrett's popcorn at the *gasp* airport.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Deep dish pizza.....yum. So much good food in Chicago.