How to calculate calories on sample food at grocery?

Options
I visited the supermarket today and decided to try a sample of their recipe of the day. It was tilapia with groumelade (sp?) and spring salad with grated paremesan cheese and pine nuts. The recipe card says that the salad is 425 kcal for 1/4 serving and the fish was 450 kcal for 1/4 serving. I was given a spoonful of each (fish and salad). So how many calories would I put into mfp?

Replies

• MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Ummmm....that is the very reason why I stay away from sampling food. I guess you can guesstimate 1 percent of a serving?
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    A quarter serving is that much? That seems enormous. How much is the quarter serving, or the full serving, if you know? You can calculate about how much a spoon is from that information.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    quick add 175
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I have no idea either. I avoid sampling at stores and while I'm cooking because I don't want to get caught up in taking bites of everything.

However, if I couldn't resist, I would probably just throw on 50 calories as a guess and call it close enough.
  • bieque
    bieque Posts: 13
    Options
    That does sound like a lot of calories...went back and looked again and it actually says 1/4 of the recipe and the recipe makes 4 servings. I think you're right about not taking samples...this is too tough to figure out. But it looked really good and I had just worked out at the gym.....
  • krysydawn
    krysydawn Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Personally I would just use the quick add and put in 150 - 200 calories and be done with it. Good luck!
  • amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Personally I would just use the quick add and put in 150 - 200 calories and be done with it. Good luck!

Exactly what I would do. If you have the basics of what things are you can guess.
    Unless you just don't eat it.