Salad dressing delema

Options
LahrysaTebo2015
LahrysaTebo2015 Posts: 197 Member
HI guys ! I start a new job next week and am meal planning some quick healthy lunches and snacks to grab and bring with me. Luckily I am a salad addict and found salad in a jar. There are so many varieties of salad that I honestly think I can stick to that for the 8 week span that my job is. Only problem is the dressing ! So I am looking for healthy brands or recipes so I don't feel guilty eating it! Thank you in advance for the support and input !

Replies

• StrongGirlFitGirl
    StrongGirlFitGirl Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I like most of the Bolthouse Farms yogurt dressings. Low in calories, fat, and carbs. I wasn't a fan of the OPA Ranch dressing. It was thin and tasted a little bitter to me.

Congratulations on the new job, and good luck meal planning!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I mush avo with spices and ACV
    Or make yoghurt based dressings.
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I usually make my own dressings.

I do a vinaigrette modified to have less oil. My normal version is equal parts red wine vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, and French-style Dijon mustard, with whatever spices or herbs would be good with the other salad ingredients.

Switch out the acid and oil for a flavor change. Really the Dijon is my only constant, because it's a fantastic emulsifier, and the one I use is zero-calorie in the amounts I use.

Vinaigrettes are so delicious and easy and customizable that I don't understand why more people aren't making them.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I usually make my own dressings.

I do a vinaigrette modified to have less oil. My normal version is equal parts red wine vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, and French-style Dijon mustard, with whatever spices or herbs would be good with the other salad ingredients.

Switch out the acid and oil for a flavor change. Really the Dijon is my only constant, because it's a fantastic emulsifier, and the one I use is zero-calorie in the amounts I use.

Vinaigrettes are so delicious and easy and customizable that I don't understand why more people aren't making them.

^^THIS^^ with variations. I use a variety of acids, e.g. cider vinegar, red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar, rice wine vinegar, lemon juice. lime juice, etc. Also different mustards, e.g. Dijon, German senf, whole grain, etc. Dried or fresh herbs and spice mixes, too. If using dried herbs, let sit a couple hours. Sometimes I like a touch of sweetness in the dressing so use white sugar, brown sugar, molasses, sweet soy, etc. I also use mayo or a mayo/yogurt combination instead of the oil sometimes.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Here is a tomato salad dressing. I have changed it up by using different flavors of tomatoes, vinegar, dressing and fat. Fire roasted tomatoes and mayo works well too. tasteofhome.com/recipes/low-fat-tangy-tomato-dressing

Here is a Creamy Cucumber Dressing. Great with salads, lettuce wraps and roast beef pitas. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/04/creamy-cucumber-dressing.html
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    This one is not low fat but it is so good. It makes a lot so you might want to share or make half a recipe.

Ginger dressing
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=yjb963OqY_8

Ingredients

1 cup of white onion minced
    1 cup of vegetable oil
    3/4 cup of rice vinegar
    1/3 cup of celery
    1/3 cup of ginger minced
    1 clove of garlic
    1/4 cup of soy sauce
    1/2 cup of ketchup
    1/2 medium lemon
    I tsp of salt
    1/2 tsp black pepper

Place in a blender and blend away.
  • OY74NmFGBL
    OY74NmFGBL Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Today I made an amazing dressing from skinny taste called zesty avocado cilantro buttermilk dressing which has 50 cals and 3 g fat for 3.5 tbsp. Otherwise I just have 1-2 tbsp of low fat honey mustard dressing from Walmart. For a long while I enjoyed Ken's roasted garlic Caesar but only had one Tbsp with my salad bc it's not low fat
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I like to make my own Ranch dressing and the use a bottle of Walden Farms Ranch to bring the calorie count down and give it the consistency that ranch is suppose to have. www.ruled.me/keto-approved-ranch-dressing
  • hsfnp
    hsfnp Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    All of the dressings made by the Skinny Girl brand are really good. Low fat carbs and calories
  • MJ2victory
    MJ2victory Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I really like Ken's raspberry and walnut lite dressing.
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Bolthouse yogurt dressing as mentioned above
    Salsa Verde avocado, Honey Mustard, Salsa Ranch, Ranch, and Caesar are 45 calories for 2 tablespoons
    Cilantro Avocado, Sweet Onion, Roasted Garlic. and Balsamic are 40 & blue cheese 35 calories for 2 tablespoons

http://www.bolthouse.com/products/dressings/yogurt
  • lenette88
    lenette88 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    mix lemon, pepper and a low or zero calorie sweetener (I use Skinny girl agave 0cal)

a good tip is to not pour your dressing on the salad, just dip your fork in it before every bite, you end up using a lot less
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    For a vinegarette I like the Bernstein's light cheese fantastico. I add extra balsamic vinegar a splash oflemon and a couple cloves of fresh garlic to it. Or if you prefer a creamy dressing I make my own ranch with 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt, 1/4 cup light hellman's mayonnaise, 1/2 cup sour cream, 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic (not garlic salt), 1/2 teaspoon granulated onion, 1/2 teaspoon msg (accent), 1 1/2 teaspoons dried parsley, 2 cloves fresh garlic and salt and pepper to taste. Needs to sit in the fridge for an hour or so. I use this as a dip but if you want to pour it add some low fat milk. The fresh garlic makes all the difference.
  • abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse is amazing and I usually just use half a serving. I've been finding that if I add seasoned chicken I don't really need dressing. Sometimes I do a tablespoon of crumbled feta and that's also great without dressing.
  • cidplady
    cidplady Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I use balsamic vinegar and olive oil - just sprinkle them over the salad - delicious, easy and cheap!
  • alwznlace
    alwznlace Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The olive garden dressing in light is great. You can buy it at walmart
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,656 Member
    Options
    Classic vinaigrette is 3 parts oil to 1 part lemon or vinegar. Some lower fat alternatives are

Vietnamese or Thai salad dressings
    http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/09/sauced-nuoc-cham-recipe.html

Buttermilk based Ranch (use the smaller portion of mayo and sour cream)
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/19/ranch-dressing-recipe_n_3769342.html

A salad dressing I use from an old Hilton Hotel cookbook on for what is essentially tagliata di manza is
    equal parts soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, nut oil (sesame, walnut, hazelnut all work well)
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I usually just use olive oil and some sort of vinegar. Sometimes I'll just use the vinegar, depending on the flavor. I love Trader Joe's Orange Muscat Champagne vinegar- it's a little sweet and a little tart, with a great flavor.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Ken's makes light dressings that are only 80 cal for 2 Tbsp and taste normal, not weird at all.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Measure out the dressing. I find that little bit of oil really adds satiety to the salad. I'll also add Edamame, olives, and/or feta to add a little protein. So Mediterranean.

I suggest you pack the dressing separately and use it when you eat it.

https://youtu.be/TuaEc_6CCQ4