Loose skin interfering with goal weight?

Options
try2again
try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
edited June 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I was on a thread yesterday about loose skin- not the mild stuff, the excessive skin those who have lost 100+ lbs might have- and it got me wondering. Say a person is within 10-15 lbs of their reasonable goal weight. Does that excess skin mask the fact that a person might essentially already be at their goal weight? Otherwise, it seems like a person would be forced to lose an excess amount of body fat to compensate for the mass of the skin. Does that make sense?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    yes it does and there have been threads showing the reality of the loose skin.

I feel that depending on the amount lost, how long they were over weight etc yes the skin could hide true weight loss.

I think tho depending on the amount of loose skin that person would/should be aware of the fact it has weight to it...but that is one of the reasons scale weight shouldn't be the end number you strive for.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I do recall one thread where the doctor advise him stopping at almost 20 pounds above the healthy BMI range just because the doc thought he might have close to that in loose skin. Pictures to go along with it, and it did seem the doc could be correct.

I don't know if the loose skin only shows up at the end, but I'm down ~100 lbs and don't seem to have any.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    According to those I have talked to you can allow somewhere between 5 and 10 pounds for loose skin. If for example you have lost 150 pounds you may have up to 10 pounds of skin. I have lost 84 and expect around 5 pounds. Once I see the surgeon I'll let you know what he says.
  • try2again
    Options
    So then, when we see posters in this situation struggling to lose those *last 15 lbs*, would it be reasonable to point out that may not be necessary? I just hate the idea of people having worked so hard for so many months or even years to get the weight off continuing to pursue steep calorie deficits under the impression they haven't done enough, when the excess skin may just be hiding their true progress.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I do think if people mention loose skin it could be useful to have the discussion for sure. But if someone has lost 150-200lbs there's a high possibility of a reasonable amount of loose skin and their goal weight is actually too low for them.

It's probably not going to be an issue for me, or at the very most really low level (about 20lbs to go, no loose skin as of yet).
  • try2again
    Options
    @Tacklewasher & @VintageFeline - You guys must be blessed with great genes! I'm 48 and have about 40 lbs to go from a high of 275 several years ago and it's not pretty. :(
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    So then, when we see posters in this situation struggling to lose those *last 15 lbs*, would it be reasonable to point out that may not be necessary? I just hate the idea of people having worked so hard for so many months or even years to get the weight off continuing to pursue steep calorie deficits under the impression they haven't done enough, when the excess skin may just be hiding their true progress.

This is mentioned if posters say that they have excess skin... It's not really something that they would fail to notice and mention if you're talking about 15lbs plus of skin....
  • try2again
    Options
    try2again wrote: »

This is mentioned if posters say that they have excess skin... It's not really something that they would fail to notice and mention if you're talking about 15lbs plus of skin....

Not necessarily... it only recently occurred to me that minus all the extra skin, I would likely be a good 10 lbs lighter (but I still have more fat to lose, so it's not my biggest concern).
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Loose skin is one of the reasons that my goal/maintenance range is going to be 110-115 instead of 105, which is likely where it should be based on frame size.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I've come down 90 and have ideally 90 to go. I've got lose skin everywhere. :( I'll definitely need several surgeries...neck, stomach, arms, inner thighs. I think genetics play a huge role. I plan to visit s doc when I'm down another 40lbs to see what the game plan should be as I get closer to my ideal weight.
  • Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    It does. It took years for my skin to tighten up so you could see the figure underneath. I had a better tighter figure before I lost and those loose skin years were awful. But I def look better now for losing it.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    One thing to think about is whether the "loose skin" is actually all loose skin or whether there is actually some fat under it to still lose.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    One thing to think about is whether the "loose skin" is actually all loose skin or whether there is actually some fat under it to still lose.

Yes. Loose skin is quite thin - sort of wrinkles like a mid-weight fabric (say denim or light corduroy). Think about how thin the skin is if you pinch up a bit on some non-fat body part, like back of hand or kneecap. Thicker folds, like 1/2-1" or more, may still have some subcutaneous fat conspiring with gravity to pull the skin downward, making it slower/more difficult to shrink.

Take heart: Those last few pounds to goal may still deplete more of that subcutaneous fat and allow more skin shrinkage, and it doesn't stop shrinking when you stop losing. I only lost 50 pounds or so, but the areas of true loose skin (fine wrinkles) have continued to shrink nicely during my first year-plus in maintenance, even at age 61, and are pretty much gone.