Lack of routine

Options
What do you do to get your motivation going when you have all day to do your exercises? I'm currently on summer vacation (from university and educational-related work) and as such has basically all day to work out "whenever I want". Well, this of course leads to not doing it at all because all of a sudden it is too dark to take a walk in the forest or I'm too tired to go to the gym and be any kind of effective.

So how do you get yourself going without any kind of imposed deadlines due to work or other commitments? Appreciate any kind of advice, before the summer is over and I've done basically nothing with it!

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    Self-imposed deadlines and schedules are the key. Sure, maybe you don't have a school / work related schedule but that doesn't mean you can't schedule your day.

Personally, on my days off and on the weekends I like to workout early so that I feel accomplished, I know it's off my schedule and it won't get neglected later in the day when something else inevitably "comes up" (whether valid or a made-up excuse).

Granted, it's harder to enforce a self-imposed schedule but keep in mind that the results are worth it!
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I found that the only time on a work day I can guarantee I'll be free, is first thing in the morning. If I were you I'd start the day off with your exercise and have it done by 10am. Or if you're an early riser, make an earlier end time. Then you'll start the day with something accomplished and I bet you get done a lot more during the rest of the day. Like counting calories or brushing teeth, you just have to do it.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Join a club or take a class that involves physical activity. Doing something with other people helps a lot. Especially if it is something you really enjoy.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Schedule. Whatever workout I'm doing, I schedule it. And it's non-negotiable. If I have to pretend to work out, that's fine!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I just workout first thing. Then nothing gets in my way. It might happen later, because I sleep in, but I still get it done. It's great to start your day with a feeling of accomplishment.
  • CoueCoue
    CoueCoue Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    If your gym does scheduled classes, sign up.
  • HannaJJ1
    HannaJJ1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Schedule time into your calendar for it and treat it like any other appointment that can't be missed.
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Perhaps I should have prefaced this by saying that my depression often leaves me sleeping until 2-3 pm if I have nothing planned. And even when I do plan to work out, since I'm doing it for myself, I can often ignore it. It doesn't feel as important (which is what has lead me to where I am today and why I have returned). But I will try to do it first thing when I wake up, even if that is later in the day. I have been looking into classes, but most of the ones at my gym chain are currently on a summer schedule and there are fewer during the day. But there should be some!

Perhaps allowing myself to go back to bed afterwards would also help me get up earlier.

Thanks for the input everyone!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Do you have a dog? Do you have neighbors who have dogs? Maybe start a small business for the summer walking dogs. It will give you a purpose and reason to get up and give you a bit of spending money.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I bet you can find a 5 or 5:30 class. Get up at 3. Have coffee and breakfast, read the paper or watch the news, and head to the gym a little before class. Lift some weights while you wait, or do some walking. You need to get back into the habit of putting your own health first, before anything else. If you don't care about you, then who will? No blowing off your exercise. Your schedule will become habit, in a short time.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    Depression is terrible to deal with. I'm sorry you're struggling with that. I hope you have some support and treatment options.

Have you tried yoga? Classes are usually pretty regular throughout the day (and late afternoon and evenings) plus it's relaxing and beneficial for the mind.