Skinny calves

Options
Will doing 100 body weight calf raises for a month increase calf size. If no please comment stuff that could possible help. I don't have money for any equipment just trying to do stuff at home naturally. Thanks

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Calorie surplus.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Calves have a huge genetic component, but if you want to gain muscle, you will want to be in a surplus. But recognize that you will gain weight/fat in the process.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Calves have a huge genetic component, but if you want to gain muscle, you will want to be in a surplus. But recognize that you will gain weight/fat in the process.

this.

p.s. there's a good reason things like calve implants exist; sometimes no matter how much effort or work you put in it just isn't going to happen.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    No. The body needs progression to grow as well as enough nutrition. Simply doing body weight with no new adaptation and muscle stimulas will give little to no results.

Calve size in proportion to the rest of your leg muscles are genetic for the most part.

Progressive lifting while squatting and deadlifting will give you plenty of stimulas to your calves.
  • Dr__Girlfriend
    Dr__Girlfriend Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Genetics
  • Dr__Girlfriend
    Dr__Girlfriend Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Okay partly joking, while genetics are a huge part, what everyone else said is on point.

My calves are getting ridiculous, and I honestly think its because I stopped driving. I have been walking everywhere/using transit for several years now.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Here is a vid of me at age 46 in between incline bench sets about a year and half ago after noticing my calfs in mirror.

I do absolutely zero calve exercises, none. The only work my calves get is from squats/deads.

Believe me it's genetics for the majority. Of course as one bulks, everything gets a piece of the work. Though that has more to with proper programming.